WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    My Teddy bear.
    Everything in my pack and on my body is a luxury. It's all a luxury other than the zit I'm getting on my forehead. R we really going to have this discussion again as privileged U.S.citizens?
    Of course. Because as U.S. citizens some would say we are privileged to do so. And as internet users, we are empowered and or enabled to discuss anything from the mundane to the situationaly relevant.

I would guess that my extra wide EXPED nearly 3" thick sleeping pad and my InReach Explorer would be considered Lux items by some. To me they are just items I choose to carry. One assists in sleeping, the other allows for the family to follow along.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Toilet paper is the ultimate luxury item for most of mankind even today.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanD View Post
    I second that motion! One of my hiking partner uses sticks.YES,STICKS! I can't wrap my head around that.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    I'm at a point of adding some weight back in to get myself comfortable for sleeping at night. After years of whittling away at the overall pack, I'm willing to add a bit back in if it will help sleep better. Still evaluating options WRT pad, pillow, etc. Too much tossing and turning the first few nights of a trip. Pre-gaming a bit at home by sleeping on the floor with my trail setup would also help, but I'm rarely planning well enough to do that.
    Sounds exactly like me. I upgraded from a UL S2S pillow to the Nemo Fillo. And though I just ordered it, plan to switch out my Nemo Tensor 25" wide pad with the Massdrop Klymit doublewide. It's 40" wide at the head. Hopefully I won't have to worry about my arms falling off the side of the pad while I sleep, and now have the freedom to toss and turn at will.
    It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    I second that motion! One of my hiking partner uses sticks.YES,STICKS! I can't wrap my head around that.
    Haha. I cannot forget this thru hiker kid I met in 2015 in Harriman State Park, NY who was hiking without toilet paper to save weight.

Haha. I cannot forget this thru hiker kid I met in 2015 in Harriman State Park, NY who was hiking without toilet paper to save weight.
    I'm itching and squirming in my chair just reading that!
    It is what it is.

I can't believe your partner wraps his *** around it !!!!!
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Extra battery pack for my smartphone. While I get plenty of nature sounds, love to still listen to audiobooks and podcasts while hiking. Even use the "white noise" app if I have trouble sleeping.

Leonidas

Wet wipes or die. If I wanted to smear poop around I would just use a leaf or moss.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Journal Entries

Full sized mug, yes it's Ti and not heavy, I even used that as my esbit cook pot for some weeks in the summer (so not luxury at that point, but there is something about having a proper mug to drink from that lighter weight (such as cheap/disposable plastic/reusing noodle cups), or wider alternatives (such as using a cook pot) just can't measure up to.

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    Wet wipes or die. If I wanted to smear poop around I would just use a leaf or moss.
    I have a relative who tried leaves once.He never tried it again because the Chiggers nearly ate him alive.I can see where it would be easy to get poison ivy off of leaves or sticks which could likely be worse.

I have a relative who tried leaves once.He never tried it again because the Chiggers nearly ate him alive.I can see where it would be easy to get poison ivy off of leaves or sticks which could likely be worse.
    "worse" would be an understatement....poison ivy in your arse?

That's what highly toted civilized for it's day Roman civilization did. It was communal too...reused, but was washed off. It was a stick with a sponge attached, advanced for its day. Roman civilization was touted as advanced for its day through building of water systems aqueducts, bath houses, sewage, etc, not for TP as we know it. Even in the U.S. paper based TP didn't gain popularity until the mid 19th century. Go to India and France and TP is not the standard. In France bidots were widely used by all members of a household not just females a commonly misunderstood perception among the U.S. population who can have a problem looking beyond their own cultural and national norms.

Isn't backpacking about expanding comfort zones possibly beyond what one is accustomed?

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyslayer View Post
    What is the one Luxury Item you carry in your pack?
    I like to carry an international standard gold bar. They take up very little space. It makes me feel rich. It's pretty. If the world banks all fail while I'm in the back country, I still have a little "cash" when I return. And, it's multi-use. You can use it instead of a rock to hold down a tent stake. You could probably bite off small chunks to use as fishing weights (that wouldn't corrode even in salt water). It can work as a book holder, holding my book open while I'm reading . . . if I ever took a book. It could be used as a blungening tool for self protection. I'm sure there are other ultra-light uses for an typical standard gold bar that I haven't thought of.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I would hike without food before I would hike without toilet paper...

I always being a pipe and tobacco. I enjoy a smoke in the evenings.

If it's just an overnighter, I may bring a chair. I may also bring my tablet with a movie and some music if I think I'll be camping alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Trek View Post
    I would hike without food before I would hike without toilet paper...
    In that case, you wouldn't need toilet paper, either, at least after the first day or so.
    That's a Win/Win

One of my favorite luxury items is a small pair of titanium scissors for opening packaged food.Weighs .3 oz. and worth it as my pocket knife is no longer necessary.

One of my favorite luxury items is a small pair of titanium scissors for opening packaged food.Weighs .3 oz. and worth it as my pocket knife is no longer necessary.
    Ha! I thought I was the only one carrying scissors!
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by elray View Post
    Ha! I thought I was the only one carrying scissors!
    I do too. Integrated into my Victorinox Classic SD pocket knife. Not a luxury item to me. In one form or another, I've carried a pocket knife most of my life.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++