WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Images

Default Anyone watch grizzly man?

It seems, even though I have very few close encounters to report, bears are my greatest trail fear. My closest encounter was at Hawk Mtn. shelter when I awoke to a frustrated exhale of a black bear looking for scraps around the shelter. I have posted about this before, but it was the funniest sight, 4 grown men sitting upright in their sleeping bags, with 2 inch knives unfurled, peeing themselves...

Anyhow, I watched "grizzly man" and gained a whole new appreciation(and fear-respect)of bears(grizzly or otherwise). Now, I'm wondering if any of you have had such experiences? Or did you see this documentary and come away with a new perspective? I think I am less intimidated having seen this guy kiss a grizzly. What do you think?

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

I seen it. Very interesting movie, and I highly recommend it. I think it showed what happens to someone when they spend all their time in the wild with animals. I think he had a connection with the bears and a certain understanding. Unfortunatly I think that you can only tempt fate so many times before something happens.

Most everyone feels it was going to happen eventually. But I'm wondering, if the didn't go back to the "maze" after not being able to connect with his flight, would he still be alive today?

Images

Yeah, that's the unfortunate irony. I have a ton of respect for the guy, though. That's the way to go...doing what feels right to you in the heart. It seems like every time I hike I know there's some sort of risk, and I'm willing to take it, even though I have a lot to lose. I guess that's the point. Nothing ventured...nothing gained. Too bad he had to pay such a price for the knowledge.

Sorry - cold heart here, I guess. I was surprised the idiot didn't get killed earlier than he did. It's just too bad he wasn't, because his continued stupidity cost the girl her life.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Images

Very true teej, I did have a lot of sympathy for her. Seemed like she was dragged along for the rife and ill-mentioned for the trouble.

Images

That dude was crazy. But I could not bring myself to change the channel. I think it was luck that he made it as far as he did without getting eaten. I also think that he called the bear that got him (from the scene on the river with the bear behind him).
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Greentick18d
    That dude was crazy. But I could not bring myself to change the channel. I think it was luck that he made it as far as he did without getting eaten. I also think that he called the bear that got him (from the scene on the river with the bear behind him).
    Crazy for sure, but I kept thinking that he was obviously driven...driven for the rest of us. I kept trying to put my self in his shoes, and I couldn't. Where do they sell those balls? And you're right, it did seem ominous that he said that bear was(onl at times)capable of killing and eating a human. If that was me I would have left then. But the info we gleaned from that was priceless....awesome stuff!

Images

Default Grizzly Man

I'm with Teej - Timothy Treadwell cost his girlfriend AND the two bears their lives. I read the book and saw the documentary - I think he did a lot of damage in a very self serving manner to the bears. There's a reason you shouldn't habituate animals to humans. Enjoy them without changing them (as best you can).
    BigToe
    Men have become the tools of their tools.

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

We talked about this before and in the words of LW...that guy was an asshat...the scene where he was caressing the poop pile was...however...PRICELESS!!!

What he did going back to the maze was pure death wish and stupidity. Celebrating what he did would be similiar to celebrating a climber for attempting Everest during storm season...don't care how experienced a climber he was...stupid is as stupid does!!!

BTW I did think it was an excellent documentary...and the animal footage was great!!! Grizzlies are my favorite animal...but I would never want a hungry one to get my scent. I have talked to survival guides from grizzly country in the past and their feelings are if you go into the backcountry you have to be the village idiot not to carry a gun with you. These aren't black bears on the AT, these are animals with a hump of muscle on their upper back meant expressly for crushing things. There is a reason why they are at the top of the food chain amongst land animals of the Western Hemisphere. The natives of Alaska said it best when they talked of the lack of respect he had for the bears power and their territory. If you want something cute and cuddly...buy a teddy bear.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

BTW I did think it was an excellent documentary...and the animal footage was great!!! Grizzlies are my favorite animal...
    You do realize the "footage" was taken by Treadwell? It was great but he was stupid?

I feel sorry for his girlfriend too, but I doubt she was dragged to Alaska.

Y'all should hike the CDT in northern Wyoming and Montana. There's an excellent chance you'll see griz on the trail. I saw a sow with two cubs from less than 100 yards and two others further away and it was outstanding! Also, walked up upon a black bear sow with cub at about 20 feet and a bull moose even less than that. I have them on slides, should get them scanned...

Default 'Grizzly Man'

Quote Originally Posted by sleepwalker
    I
    Anyhow, I watched "grizzly man" and gained a whole new appreciation(and fear-respect)of bears(grizzly or otherwise). Now, I'm wondering if any of you have had such experiences? Or did you see this documentary and come away with a new perspective? I think I am less intimidated having seen this guy kiss a grizzly. What do you think?
    No. I have not had such experiences, nor do I want to. I did not see the documentary, nor do I need to. I read the accounts of Treadwell's suicide-by-bear and was reinforced in the knowledge that fools abound. My perspective is the same. Such individuals have done, and continue to cause themselves to be selected out of the genetic pool. Perhaps his greatest sevice is that his action will influence other genetically challenged individuals to emulate his behavior. Don't be fooled by what you saw. Ursus horribilis is aptly named. Have you had offspring yet?
    R.
    First things first!

One-time Rights, hard copy and Internet. All Rights revert to author.

MY wife and I ( Both hikers and campers ) watched The Grizzly Man documentary and howeled with laughter all the way through it. I don't know if any of you have seem any of the "mockumentaries" directed by Christopher Guest such as "Waiting For Guffman", "Best Of Show" or "A Mighty Wind"; but watching this thing was like viewing one of those. The guy was a self-parody of an out of reality tree huggin' whacko! The interviews with those who knew him were equaly ludicris. While no one should be killed in such a grusome way, his stupid actions should put him in as a candidate for a recipiant of one of this years Darwin Awards. He's also responsable for the death of another but she wasn't the brightest bulb in pack either.
    The views expressed in this post are solely the opinion of the author, and do not reflect the views of any other member of this forum.
    Pro Vita et Libere

He lived his dream and died his own nitemare.He hated the Feds with a passion and his passion for them bears ended their lives. I feel if he had toted a weapon he would not opened up to them bears as he did.I enjoyed the show and feel he was off balance somewhat however the snake man and gator man have all been biten and smack around and are still profiting quite well in television shows.I believe he was a good person but mad as hell about things he could never change.I wish he'd taken a longer camera lens and a couple of SAWs.

He certainly isnt anyone to be admired. He was a danger to himself and the bears. He projected human emotions onto wild animals where it just doesnt exist. In the end, he was just food on the hoof for the animals he thought "loved" him. Nature is beautiful, but cruel. If you know that going in, you can appreciate it while limiting your risk. If you are delusional, you deserve what happens to you.

The highlight for me is when the young bear is bested by the alpha male and Treadwell is talking to him about women.

Anyone feel that there are similarities with Alexander Supertramp and this guy?

If you want the bears to hide from you as you enjoy the AT, wear an ID tag with a small pendant or something on your backpack so that the light medals tingle together. This sound will scare the wild beast long before you would encounter the terror of the wild.

nicely said teej. i still feel sorry for his girlfriend she was talked into that fiasco i' m sure. by the way what exactly did this wingnut prove anyway? that after a few years of harassing grizzly bears, finally the bears have had enough and they kill you? seems like a terrible waste of life for the people as well as the bears. just my two cents!

I have to agree with Scots Guard. Timothy looked like one of those goofy thespian majors running around in the woods, smelling poop and screaming at the camera.
    The documentary was unbelievable, the director did a great job with the wonderful footage Treadwell provided.

Images

I was shocked beyond belief that he was not killed on day one, to be honest. He was obviously mentally ill and flamboyant, but it was great to get a close look at grizzlys like that. If anything was accomplished by treadwell's death it's a greater understanding of the animals, which I assume was his point.

GA - Central PA 1977
    Images

I didn`t watch it just because of the way the guy looked and acted on the promo commercials..I would have expected a Grizzly Adams or Jeremiah Johnson type character this guy just looked like he should be on the beach in Malibu saying "Whoa dude! Surf`s up man!"....I guess I`m just a living in the nature past type person but I got an extreme sports,X-Games,Reality TV vibe just from seeing the guy and his attitude

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++