WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default STURDY 3/4 length sleeping pad for a kid

Hi all, call me crazy, but I'm planning to take a family backpacking overnight trip (as a trial run) with my husband and 2 kids. I have an OLD 3/4 length Thermarest that was a hand-me-down and I'd like to get another one that size, or similar, for our youngest to sleep on. Right now he's under a year old, so I'd like something that will last at least a few years, doesn't need to be super light weight, but needs to have a good R value. My almost 5 year will use the one we currently have or vise versa.

I can't find one anywhere! The only short one I found was a kid's EMS brand on Ebay for like $40 and $5 shipping, which isn't terrible if my kid will sleep ok on it. I'd even be ok with a round pet sleeping pad, but also can't find anything like that. I'd like it to be more like a thermarest's smooth surface (and durability) rather than the egg-crate UL designs just because I'm not sure how well they would sleep on something like that. Also, baby and 5 year old will be climbing/stomping on it most likely. I thought about a ridge-rest or a zrest, and maybe fold it in half, but they don't seem to have a great R value for warmth.

Any ideas? (We hit yard sales every Saturday in the spring/summer and have only ever seen one sleeping pad, which my husband bought for himself.)

Walmart sells a CCF foam pad for less than $10. You could cut it down. Probably get several years out of it. The only drawback is the R value. Where and what time of year will you be using it? The R value might not be critical.
    Good luck!
    Wayne

Get a blue foam pad at Walmart. Cut to size. <$10.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

A double header! Thanks Bill!
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    A double header! Thanks Bill!
    Wayne
    My kids used theirs for years. I use one on occasion myself.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I too was thinking of a CCF.

My mind didn't immediately drift to the Walmart Blue pad. You mentioned R value and I don't know what it's R value is.

But Therm-a-Rest also makes the RidgeRest SOLite with an R Value of 2.8 (the z-lite is only 2.3 but folds up nicer).

But Therm-a-Rest also makes the RidgeRest SOLite with an R Value of 2.8 (the z-lite is only 2.3 but folds up nicer).
    That's what I was going to suggest. Get a RidgeRest and fold it in half so now it's R-value is (2.8 + 2.8) 5.6. A one year old would fit and would be plenty insulated from the ground. In what kind of temperatures would you you be sleeping?

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    (the z-lite is only 2.3 but folds up nicer).
    According to the TAR website, it's 2.2 in "coyote" color and 2.8 in "Limon/Silver"

Unless there's a different in composition, I guess they think the silver paint adds 0.6 in R value. I've heard some opine that "that's not how reflective coatings work" [assuming you're in clothing and/or bag] but I'm not expert enough to judge either claim.

Quote Originally Posted by orthofingers View Post
    That's what I was going to suggest. Get a RidgeRest and fold it in half so now it's R-value is (2.8 + 2.8) 5.6. A one year old would fit and would be plenty insulated from the ground. In what kind of temperatures would you you be sleeping?
    I'd recommend the SOLite too, but not the RR Classic. I think they've changed the composition of the Classic, because I have an old Classic that feels the same as the new SOLite or Solar, less the paint & dye job. The new "classic" feels rougher and is less soft/squishy, I noticed a similar change in walmart blue pads over the years too, so I suspect the change in foam formula. In fact, TAR does not list specs for "Fill Material" and "Foam Type" for the Classic, whereas they do for the Solite.

The latest RR Classic wasn't warm enough for me at 50F, whereas I've taken my old RR Classic down that low without a problem.

If size is an issue, and R value is not, the Z-lite will fold to a smaller volume.

Therm-a-Rest makes a self-inflating model these days called the "Prolite". The XSmall size is 36" long, 9oz, R-2.4, ~$42. Definitely on Amazon, probably elsewhere.

Journal Entries

No ccf alone is going to have "good" R value.
    They are warm weather capable

As far as comfort kids can sleep on anything.
    8/10 scouts probably use the cheapest blue or green thin ccf.

3/4 Guidelite? I still have one. It'll cost you a PM with your mailing address.
    Might be able to get it out in the morning, but if I don't reply for a bit after that, it's because I'll be in the woods the next 4 days.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    No ccf alone is going to have "good" R value.
    If that's really the case, then there are many popular pads that aren't sufficient alone to have a "good R value" in your book - because the Ridgerest Solar is marketed as an all-season pad with R=3.5. That's higher than the widely-used and popular NeoAir X-lite and Prolite Plus pads, as well as (obviously) TAR's Z-lite and their self-inflating Trail Scout. Most of those are used alone.

Now, for subfreezing temps, I agree with you - it's not enough alone, not for me (a cold sleeper). But if their R-values perform consistently, I'd argue none of the others are either.

++ New Posts ++