WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    I have noticed that Walmart clearance sales can tend to be nationwide. Recently when the Mountainhouse 2 day "emergency pack" went on sale, someone on here posted about it so I went to check it out. My local Walmart did indeed have the mountain house on clearance for the same price as the poster got it for (1/2 off). This may be the case for HEET to, I work within walking distance from Wal Mart, so I'm going at lunch to check! will report back!

no dice

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    no dice
    Its seasonal, maybe in a week or two being that you live in WI & im in TN.

Journal Entries
    Images

I made a couple of these and they work very well! I currently use a Starlyte under a cone with a toaks 550.
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Tealight cup
    0.07 oz
    No need to bloom
    And fire dont engulf your small pot

😊

Way more efficient than cat can too

Attachment 44905
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Quote Originally Posted by needlefish View Post
    Which size brasslite are you guys using, 1D or 2D? and what diameter is the pot you couple it with?
    1D. here is a link to the pot I used with it: http://evernew-global.com/products/cookware/eca421.html It was a little bit tippy but not to bad if you are careful.

I use an IMUSA 10cm mug and DIY lid with the fancy feast.
    Last edited by TexasBob; 03-23-2019 at 10:09.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Thank you Texas Bob. I use the Imusa 10cm pot with a batchstovez lid with my fancy feast also. Good pot for short money!

Which size brasslite are you guys using, 1D or 2D? and what diameter is the pot you couple it with?
    Turbo 2D. I mainly use a 5.75" pot with it. I have a 4.25" pot but generally use that with my cannister stove.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Thank you Alligator, im thinking of picking up on of these brasslites. Went on their website and it looks like a nice stove. Yea I stove addiction!!!!

DIY Zelph Fancee Feast. Still have enough bondo sheet to make another 3 stoves and another tomato paste can that I bought figuring I'd screw up the first one. But it's so simple, I didn't/couldn't screw it up. Add a folding windscreen and my whole cook kit is probably under 8 ounces plus fuel.

And the best part is how predictable and quiet it is once the learning curve is accomplished. I pull it out upon finding an adequate campsite, boil 4 cups of water for food & tea, set up tarp/hammock/tent/whatever while boiling or rehydrating, eat, bearbag, filter water supply for night/morning, and I'm finishedfor the day. Next morning I can boil off 2 cups for coffee mix while tearing down camp and put the bearbag and cook kit on top just before hitting the trail.

DIY eCHS with Olicamp XTS pot. Al flasong pot stand doubles as windscreen.

Zelph's Venom. If I made one it would cost me more money than Zelph charges and he ships with goodies. Alchy in. Cup ah H2O. It's so easy. Zelph needs to eat too.

I go with the cat food can if I am going light, and I go with the full Trangia cookset if weight is less of an issue or I want to really do some cooking. There are a few options and accessories in between, but these are the two go-to setups.

So far the only alchy stove I have is a Zelph fancee feest.
    I've used it on overnight trips a couple times, but haven't done a week with it.

Thank you Alligator, im thinking of picking up on of these brasslites. Went on their website and it looks like a nice stove. Yea I stove addiction!!!!
    I've always thought they were well constructed. Mine's several years old now and I don't know whether the original designer still constructs them or not but it's held up well. The one thing I would mention is that it produces a cone flame which when used with titanium cookware (thin) can scorch if you are not careful. Depends on what you are cooking really.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Well I received my Whitebox stove last Friday and been testing it for the last few days. It is a nicely made stove. But i'll be sticking to my fancy feast stove for now. I'm going to try a brasslite 1D next.

Images

I'm still using my Featherfire. It's cooked over 600 meals and heated water for 1200 cups of tea. Sadly, no longer available.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Four Dog Bushcooker LT Mini:
    https://fourdog.com/bushcookerlt-mini-camp-stove/

Had it for years, and typically use with HEET or hexamine(flip the stove).
    I just boil a cup or two of water occasionally for a meal or hot drink, and am hardly a stove critic, so really couldn't say how the stove compares to others, beyond being much better for a mug than something with a wider flame like a Whitebox.
    Really like the ti windscreen, though.
    Also got their thin ti lid for my mug.

4oz of alcohol in 1x2oz and 2x1oz bottles, a dozen hexamine tabs, firesteel w/striker, mini-Bic, Hotlips thingie, folding spoon and a bandana all fit in a 700mL mug along with the pot supports(length cut to fit) and stove, so that's how big my whole setup is.
    Plenty for me for a week, since I have no appetite for a hot meal until about day 4, and am not out more than 7 days at a time, anyway. I like a quick fire when it's an option, so the hexamine tabs double as convenient firestarters.

Tried so many alch stoves..

Kojin
    Fancee Feast
    All the Starlytes
    Gram Weenie Pro
    DIY cat can
    DIY soda can
    Toaks Ti Siphon

Keep coming back to the same two... Original Starlyte and Starlyte Gold
    Zelph Ti Caldera Cones with an MLD 850, Toaks 550 or MLD 475

The best stoves are the ones I’ve made. I’m no scientist but making a stove out of a cat food can was easy!! It’s fun to use, too!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++