WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Safe parking

Images

Default Safe parking

I was looking to enter the trail at 321 Braemer near Hampton Tenn. If so can I leave my car at a Hostel nearby and be shuttled to the trail. My group would need to be picked up at the parking lot at the junction of Rt 23 and 26 just south of Bald mountain shelter. This is approximately about 110 mile section hike. I was looking for advice if I should pack food for 8 days or is there a good restocking location about halfway. Lastly, if necessary if we run into nasty weather and want to take a break while restocking can you recommend any hostels. Lookig forward to seeing you on the trail.

your looking at 108 miles.

Starting at 23/26 your 24 miles from Erwin, Tn. The trail passes directly in front of Uncle Johnnies Hostel.

25 miles from Uncle Johnnies is Greasy Creek friendly, but she can't handle groups.

25 miles from Greasy Creek is Roan Mnt, TN where there are two hostels within 0.3 of the trail.

34 miles from Roan Mnt is Hampton.

So, plenty of ways to break it up. How big is your group? More then 4 will take special considerations. If this is a boy scout or church group, limit it total group size to 10 max. This is a moderately difficult section of trail.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post

This is a moderately difficult section of trail.

Relative to what, florida?

Sounds like OP needs a trail guide to me.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-21-2019 at 20:58.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Relative to what, florida?

Sounds like OP needs a trail guide to me.
    It sure the heck ain't a cake walk. At least not the first 75 miles. The last of the big bumps in NC/TN. Nice section though.

Yep, the OP needs to get a guide book.

Generally best to get dropped off and hike back to your car.

Images

our group including myself is 5. We were heading south on the trail

5 is a small crowd, but manageable. I would suggest skipping Pond Mountain and take the 1 mile side trail from Hampton to the AT.

One of the hostels at 19E are your best bets for a resupply stop. Roan Mnt has a modest sized grocery store and a BBQ resturant. The Mountain Harbor B+B is known for thier breakfast.

Images

Thank you for the input, I was originally planning on a SOBO. If I enter the trail at 321 Braemer and hike to the trail. Our group was planning on a 8 day hike to cover the 108 miles. I was wondering in your experience if Johnny Hostel would land us at about he half way point of the hike. We were looking to cut weight and resupply around the 50+ point. Hopefully my math isn't fuzzy. Or if necessary can you recommend a location to mail resupply packages. Lastly, can anyone recommend a good shuttle service back to Hampton after our arrival. hopefully picking us up at the parking lot of the intersection RT 23and 26. We were hoping to hike SOBO back to our cars looking forward to meeting the AT community.

++ New Posts ++