WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

The moderators on WB are incredibly heavy-handed. They have in turn made this forum quite boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Is pink now owned by women?
    Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    Female hiking forum... What needs explained?
    You know until someone linked it above I never read the rules about posting on the Female Forum. Just used some common sense and assumed the same rules and etiquette (written or unwritten) as used by other forums. The pink (as opposed to green) was a pretty easy hint for my squirrel brain to figure out if I was reading something of interest my reply was not of interest. If a female wanted male opinions I assume she would post them in a general topic area.

Having helped moderate a forum in the past it is a thankless job that does not pay very well thanks to the free nature of the forum for most users. I think I will go untwist my panties now.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyslayer View Post
    You know until someone linked it above I never read the rules about posting on the Female Forum. Just used some common sense and assumed the same rules and etiquette (written or unwritten) as used by other forums. The pink (as opposed to green) was a pretty easy hint for my squirrel brain to figure out if I was reading something of interest my reply was not of interest. If a female wanted male opinions I assume she would post them in a general topic area.

Having helped moderate a forum in the past it is a thankless job that does not pay very well thanks to the free nature of the forum for most users. I think I will go untwist my panties now.
    is this thread, for example, something we really need a special place for female users of this site to solicit answers ONLY from other female users? and if a man should dare chime in there should be repercussions?

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...shoes-worth-it

if so, i'd like to be pointed towards the forum where i can ask trekking poll advise only from men in their 40s

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    if so, i'd like to be pointed towards the forum where i can ask trekking poll advise only from men in their 40s
    ...so as a 63-year old guy, I couldn't offer trekking pole advice? Dang. I'll just stick to offering spelling advice.

Or maybe a curmudgeons-only forum.

Images

my unsolicited thoughts-

the female hiking forum makes sense for posts about issues specific to females.

when it veers into "i have a question that is non gender specific and anyone can answer, but this is the female forum and i only want answers from women" it strikes me as needlessly divisive.
    In this thread: men telling women when their women-ness doesn't matter.

If a woman posted it in that forum, she believes it IS specific to women. Your assessment may differ. And for your threads you are welcome to post them where you think is best. What you cannot do is deflect because you made an oops and broke a rule. Own that. Leave other people alone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    Here is the explanation of content allowed.
    https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...e-Hiking-Forum
    It might be nice if this was posted in Th Forum description list in the Forum tab.

BTW, a male can start a thread in the Female Forum. I've seen it done a couple times with no censorship. Females didn't have a problem. Context and discretion are important for all to play nicely. Things do not have to degenerate into sides or identities. Let's all be kind and show some humility and respect for each other. Males should not push unwanted opinions. Be sensitive. There have been oodles of male posts embraced on the Female Forum when its's done with sensitivity to the forum. Tread lightly that, as a male, you even CAN post there. IMHO I think that's what females are referring. It's a forum for females. I know. I'm censored from it. LOL. I've seen the error of my ways.

I like the fact that there is a women's only forum. Yes, men can see it and quite often men do post in the threads and are NOT removed. In this case I think it was appropriate that any comments from men were removed. I'm not a "treat me different because I'm a woman" type but there ARE subjects that are something which women should be able to discuss without interference from men. The thread in question specifically asked, along with being in the women's forum, for opinions from women (maybe even specifically directed to mothers, not sure).
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    What would the color theme be? Black to match our mood or gray to match our hair?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    Isn't that the "straight forward" forum? They want just the facts and no amusement.

Journal Entries

You might be amazed what most men know about women and their special needs, after being married to one for 20, 30, 40, 50 yrs. Longer than many OPs have been alive........not to mention medical professionals .

Many are garbage questions of no nature especially particular to women either. They are looking for cheerleaders .
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-25-2019 at 17:04.

Images

You'd be surprised that women ALSO know this material and are capable of presenting it what with being women 100% of their lives.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by theinfamousj View Post
    In this thread: men telling women when their women-ness doesn't matter.

If a woman posted it in that forum, she believes it IS specific to women. Your assessment may differ. And for your threads you are welcome to post them where you think is best. What you cannot do is deflect because you made an oops and broke a rule. Own that. Leave other people alone.

i'm waiting for the middle aged man only trekking pole forum. or does my manliness not matter? stop deflecting.

Images

i'm waiting for the middle aged man only trekking pole forum. or does my manliness not matter? stop deflecting.
    That is two year old, "Why are you putting me in time out!" level. C'mon man, adult up!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by theinfamousj View Post
    That is two year old, "Why are you putting me in time out!" level. C'mon man, adult up!

why is it two year old behavior to only want trekking poll advice from other men my age and to not want to hear what some some 25 year old girl has to say about it?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    ... If it is to be enforced males can't post to the Female Forum it might be easier if when becoming a WB member require a gender designation. Males are excluded. Make it part of the software. What's going to happen next though is someone is going to claim gender discrimination...
    Unless you know a WB member IRL, how do you know what gender they truly are? The internet is a pretty anonymous place. Gender and/or gender identification, race, age, location, are only what the person behind the computer claims they are. And I can almost guaranty you that there are women members here on WB who use member names and avatars that would lead others to normally associate them with being men, not women. It's not an uncommon practice in the online world. There are many reasons. In work and business forums, women often face the same glass ceiling they do IRL and can be treated condescendingly by some men. In sports and outdoor forums they are often not viewed as seriously as men. And then there's cyber safety to consider. Gender anonymity and false gender identity is often used an online safety measure to reduce the possibility of unwanted attention and cyber stalking.

Journal Entries

why is it two year old behavior to only want trekking poll advice from other men my age and to not want to hear what some some 25 year old girl has to say about it?
    Its not.

Look at womens forum posts. Most are gear or hiking buddies.

And a parent ditching kids to go hike, isnt exactly gender specific either. The OP wanted cheerleaders to tell her it was OK. No reason to even ask otherwise, duh.

And input from other people, who together with their spouse raised several kids to adulthood in a healthy family unit, simply cant be pertinent can it?
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-25-2019 at 17:37.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Its not.

And a parent ditching kids to go hike, isnt exactly gender specific either. The OP wanted cheerleaders to tell her it was OK. No reason to even ask otherwise, duh.

And input from other people, who together with their spouse raised several kids to adulthood in a healthy family unit, simply cant be pertinent can it?
    Yep, unless the question is specifically about woman hygiene (a topic I'm not about to comment on, but probably know more about then I should), many the questions posted in the woman's forum are more appropriate in a general forum. If a woman is new to WB, posting in the woman's forum might seem the logical place to ask questions, gender specific or not.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Its not.
    Yeah, it kind of is because it's only being asked now to make a point.

In fairness, there are often questions regarding bras, menstruation, etc., that are more appropriate for only other women to answer, even if men may have knowledge due to their spouse/SO. And I understand women who may not want men answering their requests for hiking partners. Cyber pink-blazing and such.

And a parent ditching kids to go hike, isnt exactly gender specific either.
    Not exactly, but I think mothers relationships with their children are a bit different than a fathers. Not that men don't love and care for their children. But it is different - "A mother's love..."

The OP wanted cheerleaders to tell her it was OK.
    Yep. Nothing new here on WB. People come here all the time looking for validation to quit their jobs mid-career, quit school, leave their spouse and/or family, take out loans, open gofundme accounts, hike for charity - the list is endless. And they are usually disappointed by the majority of answers because most people here are surprisingly well-grounded for a bunch of wanderlust hikers. Probably because they've either experienced the downside themselves or seen it in others too many times: Quit my job, or quit school, or left my wife, sold the house, spent my savings --- then quit the trail at Neel Gap. Not that this happens to everyone obviously, some people manage to balance thru-hiking and the rest of their lives quite positively. But it or something like it is all too often the reality with mid-life decisions made under internal stress when life's timing isn't ideal for a long hike. There are some great times to hike. Transitions in school, jobs, relationships, retirement, etc. In the middle of raising a family isn't usually on that list.

And input from other people, who together with their spouse raised several kids to adulthood, simply cant be pertinent can it?
    But as you note above, what they are looking for is validation and comments that support their motive because deep down, people seeking validation are already conflicted over desire (to hike) vs. duty/responsibility to externalities (could be career/job, spouse, children, etc). They don't really want to hear opposing opinions because it raises the level of their internal cognitive dissonance. If they weren't already conflicted, they wouldn't be seeking validation - they'd just hike. So they come here thinking a bunch of hikers will offer nothing but support, but find instead that the place is full of the more mainstream moms and dads (who just happen to hike) they don't want to hear from. And then maybe they flag the posts for moderation for whatever reason they can find.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 03-25-2019 at 18:14.

I'm a guy and I find the overall toxic masculinity on these boards to overpowering at times. There are a bunch of guys on this forum who are only too happy to tell you how you're a moral failure if you don't do things exactly how they do. These are the guys who claim only a weak loser would give up their thru for any reason whatsoever... then crawl back into the forum and explain that they didn't exactly complete their thru hike, but it was through no moral failing on their part! Yeah, those type of guys.

If the women have requested, and obtained a women only forum, try to respect that. They might be seeking opinions among like minded people who certainly do share a unique cultural/social upbringing, that for good or bad, just isn't shared by men. Don't play the "we're the real victim here" card. Don't be like a four year old who can't control themselves and just "has to" tell everyone their first joke. If you really want to share your opinion on motherhood, then simply start your own poll, in an appropriate forum. It's that simple.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Yeah, it kind of is because it's only being asked now to make a point.
    so making a point is acting like a 2 year old?

its been awhile since my niece was 2 but i don't remember much of a point to her behavior.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++