WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Suggestion: don’t tent in Tennessee fields of dream.

Ok. North Carolina has privies, Tennessee has toilet fields.

At Double Springs Shelter they have both. We generally call them minefields or “fields of dreams” (see below for why).

But twice so far we have had people tent right in the middle of the privy field.

Which makes it a bit, err, inconvenient when you head that way to do your business.

I would like to suggest a rule that people don’t tent in that area.

Is is there a way to add that to guides on trail etiquette?

Why don't we put notify people not to crap in the fields and practice better LNT rather then tell people not to tent in the beautiful field bc that's where people poop?

I have never poop'd in a field....
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

What is a toilet field?

Make fun, ignore it, but one of the most destructive and polluting animals to land, air, and water besides humans are livestock, specifically modern industrialized cattle farming and dairy cows. It's not noticed as much because it's often conducted away from immediate view. Nothing politically motivated in saying that. The damage witnessed to land through erosion and water contamination and land and water use is significant as a hiker in western backcountry. The US public's love affair with beef takes a huge toll on the environment which extends beyond national borders.

Picture miles upon miles of cow patties and infrequent water sources fouled by livestock feces and urine and erosion affecting the ecosystem.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Make fun, ignore it, but one of the most destructive and polluting animals to land, air, and water besides humans are livestock, specifically modern industrialized cattle farming and dairy cows. It's not noticed as much because it's often conducted away from immediate view. Nothing politically motivated in saying that. The damage witnessed to land through erosion and water contamination and land and water use is significant as a hiker in western backcountry. The US public's love affair with beef takes a huge toll on the environment which extends beyond national borders.

Picture miles upon miles of cow patties and infrequent water sources fouled by livestock feces and urine and erosion affecting the ecosystem.
    What did motivate this response? I am not aware of any cattle grazing near Double Springs.
    More walking, less talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Blue View Post
    What is a toilet field?
    In Tennessee instead of privies they have designated areas to urinate and dig cat holes in. Often a little moisture prone.

At least in March those areas decompose the poop faster than it is going in and work as well as a privy all in all.

Of of course my experience is limited to two fields and the last week.

What it is like in April or May I don’t know.

But both I have seen had people decide to tent right in the midst of them.

The signs are are a bit weather worn but still ...

——————

Other note. The ridge runners have been cheerful, helpful and not at all as advertised.

I have really enjoyed meeting them.

Journal Entries

Usually have signs

If someone wants to tent in cat field, let them. Theyll figure it out. Ive never not been able to smell one

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ethesis View Post
    In Tennessee instead of privies they have designated areas to urinate and dig cat holes in. Often a little moisture prone.

At least in March those areas decompose the poop faster than it is going in and work as well as a privy all in all.

Of of course my experience is limited to two fields and the last week.

What it is like in April or May I don’t know.

But both I have seen had people decide to tent right in the midst of them.

The signs are are a bit weather worn but still ...

——————

Other note. The ridge runners have been cheerful, helpful and not at all as advertised.

I have really enjoyed meeting them.
    are they really designated and signed? i've never heard of that (i knew about the lack of privvies) i'm planning to hike hot springs to damascus in may/june. something to look forward to i guess.

and another reason to sleep in the shelter if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethesis View Post
    Ok. North Carolina has privies, Tennessee has toilet fields.

At Double Springs Shelter they have both. We generally call them minefields or “fields of dreams” (see below for why).

But twice so far we have had people tent right in the middle of the privy field.

Which makes it a bit, err, inconvenient when you head that way to do your business.

I would like to suggest a rule that people don’t tent in that area.

Is is there a way to add that to guides on trail etiquette?
    If you !@#$ in it they will come?
    Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.

Pooping in the middle of a field? If you have to go are you supposed to check the field to see if someone is squatting and doing their business? Is there some etiquette rule about where to go back and wait your turn, preferably out of sight? Is the usual routine of going deep enough into the woods that no one can see you not aloud within a certain radius of a poop field?

Its probably best not to write home about the poop fields.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    are they really designated and signed? i've never heard of that (i knew about the lack of privvies) i'm planning to hike hot springs to damascus in may/june. something to look forward to i guess.

and another reason to sleep in the shelter if possible.
    Your pretty safe on the Hot Springs to Damascus leg. There aren't too many shelters without privies along there.

Along the AT in the GSMNP, water is on one side of the hill and your suppose to poop on the other side of the hill. There are (or were) signs which indicate water ->, poop <-

If the shelter is so crowded your forced to tent, the good spots near the shelter will be quickly taken and the late comers will be pushed into the poop field.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Your pretty safe on the Hot Springs to Damascus leg. There aren't too many shelters without privies along there.

Along the AT in the GSMNP, water is on one side of the hill and your suppose to poop on the other side of the hill. There are (or were) signs which indicate water ->, poop <-

If the shelter is so crowded your forced to tent, the good spots near the shelter will be quickly taken and the late comers will be pushed into the poop field.
    wait a second, so where are we talking about? just the smokies?

i obviously have no first hand knowledge but i had always heard that the shelters without privies were in the TN/NC border area, north of the park.

never saw anything like that in the smokies but then again i only really stopped at 3 shelters (all have them) and you walk by an actual bathroom.

i guess thats another thing you don't get to take in properly if you don't "stop and smell the roses" and try to hike 20 miles in a day instead.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post

hmm, I dunno here Slo' my friend, a quick scan of the companion shows 18 shelters between hot springs and damascus and only 6 have privies. this includes a stretch of 6 in a row without, then one with, then another 6 without.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    wait a second, so where are we talking about? just the smokies?
    I believe that what the OP is referring to is the couple of shelters in GSMNP that don't have privies, but have marked areas (what he has termed a "field") to do one's business. Apparently the OP has seen people set up tents in these areas.

All I have to say about that is ewwwwwwwww. They are well marked, so I don't know why anyone would set up in one. Me personally, when hiked through GSMNP in 2017 I did not use these areas. I walked a significant distance away from the shelter off into the woods and did my own thing in privacy. As for the OP's comment on setting up a tent there, I wholeheartedly agree that people should not be tenting in those areas.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    I believe that what the OP is referring to is the couple of shelters in GSMNP that don't have privies, but have marked areas (what he has termed a "field") to do one's business. Apparently the OP has seen people set up tents in these areas.

All I have to say about that is ewwwwwwwww. They are well marked, so I don't know why anyone would set up in one. Me personally, when hiked through GSMNP in 2017 I did not use these areas. I walked a significant distance away from the shelter off into the woods and did my own thing in privacy. As for the OP's comment on setting up a tent there, I wholeheartedly agree that people should not be tenting in those areas.
    well in the smokies they shouldnt be tenting at all unless the shelter is full so i would imagine we arent talking about a whole lot of tents....

Images

well in the smokies they shouldnt be tenting at all unless the shelter is full so i would imagine we arent talking about a whole lot of tents....

but in peak season, there could be 20-50 tents..........

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    but in peak season, there could be 20-50 tents..........
    assuming a shelter capacity of 20 thats 40-70 people at a shelter location if no one is two to a tent.

thats insane. not saying it doesn't happen, but if it does that people would do things like camp in the poop field cant really be surprising, can it?

Images

This whole thread is full of confusion and misinformation.

First, there are two Double Springs shelters. One is the Double Spring Gap shelter in the middle of the Smokies and the other is the Double Springs shelter which is about 20 miles south of Damascus. I'm assuming the OP was talking about the latter since all shelters in the Smokies are supposed to have privies.

Second, I never could understand why the TN shelters didn't have privies. It might have made sense 20 or 30 years ago when there fewer hikers but IMO they are desperately needed at all AT shelters today. I always thought the purpose of the AT shelters was to concentrate overnight usage to certain locations so as to minimize impact on the rest of the trail, but then not putting privies in these locations to help manage waste and instead telling hikers to spread out and crap in the woods nearby seems to defeat the purpose.
    It's all good in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    This whole thread is full of confusion and misinformation.

First, there are two Double Springs shelters. One is the Double Spring Gap shelter in the middle of the Smokies and the other is the Double Springs shelter which is about 20 miles south of Damascus. I'm assuming the OP was talking about the latter since all shelters in the Smokies are supposed to have privies.

Second, I never could understand why the TN shelters didn't have privies. It might have made sense 20 or 30 years ago when there fewer hikers but IMO they are desperately needed at all AT shelters today. I always thought the purpose of the AT shelters was to concentrate overnight usage to certain locations so as to minimize impact on the rest of the trail, but then not putting privies in these locations to help manage waste and instead telling hikers to spread out and crap in the woods nearby seems to defeat the purpose.
    When I hikes the smokies in 2016, 4 out of the 6 shelters south of Clingmans did not have privies. Maybe they have them now, not sure.

"when I HIKED" sorry.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++