WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries
    Images

FWIW, PDF o review map of the WMNF here:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...prd3802938.pdf

FYI, that map shows current federal ownership in NH not just WMNF but does not show the wildlife refuge lands which butt up against the WMNF boundary in the Cherry Mountain area(which is pretty typical). It also shows National Park Service land in the Mahoosucs which is not WMNF.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

The Whites and the HMW both start at the end of the approach trail, of course. Count the steps, touch every white blaze from Springer to Big K, and by then you won't care a whit about anything "official." Or maybe you will.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Ain't nothing 'official' or well defined about the Whites, but I'm thinking geologically, and I'd say that they start with the uplift belt where the trail turns back from east to north and starts climbing past the Dartmouth Skiway. Smarts and Cube are definitely among them at least as foothills. They peter out somewhere around Rangeley.

Where does it start feeling like the Whites when you're hiking? Probably where it starts going above the tree line, which would be Moosilauke.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kulliman View Post
    Can someone tell me what the official White Mountains and 100 Mile Wilderness start and end points are on the Appalachian Trail, such as in miles from a landmark (road), shelters, etc.?
    So, after some thread drift into geology, I think most thru-hikers would consider the Whites as Glencliff to Gorham and consider the Mahoosucs as a separate area. The 100 mile (99.4 or so?) wilderness is pretty easy. Monson to Abol Bridge - and there are actually "caution" signs at both ends of it warning of the remoteness and to carry 10 days of food (which few do anymore). That's as official as it gets.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    So, after some thread drift into geology, I think most thru-hikers would consider the Whites as Glencliff to Gorham and consider the Mahoosucs as a separate area. The 100 mile (99.4 or so?) wilderness is pretty easy. Monson to Abol Bridge - and there are actually "caution" signs at both ends of it warning of the remoteness and to carry 10 days of food (which few do anymore). That's as official as it gets.
    i say this as a humorous aside and not looking to continue arguing oer where it ends.

but i think it may be more true that most thru hikers hear the whites end at rt 2 and then somewhere around carlo col start saying to each other "I thought the whites were over?"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++