WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: EE Enigma Quilt

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default EE Enigma Quilt

If you use this quilt in the 50* or 40* (I don't need comments for lower rated versions) version, how has it worked for you? I'm not looking for a dissertation on rating, use, when, where, pad, camp placement, etc. Simply...I have the 50* and I think it sucks because....or I have the 40* and I think it's great because....

Thanks

I had an older 40* Enigma and it was light. Honestly.. it was more like a 55*

It was good for the summer on the AT.

No way would it have taken me down to 40.

40 is pretty cold at night. Even 50 can be a bit chilly.

I wouldnt bother with a 50.

If your looking for warmer weather quilt I would recommend a 30. Its more versatile.

In conditions that warrant a 50* quilt.. you probably dont even need a quilt. I would be thinking hot summer where the quilt will probably be barely draped over you.

I think if I was planning on hiking in conditions where I would be using a 50* quilt. I'd choose a 2.5 climashield quilt over down. Its going to be hot, sweaty, and sticky. A synthetic would handle that better

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    I had an older 40* Enigma and it was light. Honestly.. it was more like a 55*

It was good for the summer on the AT.

No way would it have taken me down to 40.

40 is pretty cold at night. Even 50 can be a bit chilly.

I wouldnt bother with a 50.

If your looking for warmer weather quilt I would recommend a 30. Its more versatile.

In conditions that warrant a 50* quilt.. you probably dont even need a quilt. I would be thinking hot summer where the quilt will probably be barely draped over you.

I think if I was planning on hiking in conditions where I would be using a 50* quilt. I'd choose a 2.5 climashield quilt over down. Its going to be hot, sweaty, and sticky. A synthetic would handle that better

Any recs for the 2.5 quilt?

Quote Originally Posted by spfleisig View Post
    Any recs for the 2.5 quilt?
    EE Apex.

Because it doesnt have baffels. The simple design of the ee apex quilt is great.

Highly recommend a 2.5 apex quilt over a 50* down quilt.

Leonidas

I have a 50 degree and a 40 degree both in the APEX versions. Both are true to the temp for me, for my wife they are ~ 10 degrees colder. I use the 50 in summer and she uses the 40. I stack both and have been good to 20 degrees. I have heard that before the down fill increase, most everyone I spoke with have agreed that the APEX versions are true to temp.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    I have a 50 degree and a 40 degree both in the APEX versions. Both are true to the temp for me, for my wife they are ~ 10 degrees colder. I use the 50 in summer and she uses the 40. I stack both and have been good to 20 degrees. I have heard that before the down fill increase, most everyone I spoke with have agreed that the APEX versions are true to temp.
    What do you mean "before the down fill increase"?

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by spfleisig View Post
    What do you mean "before the down fill increase"?
    EE upped the down fill per temp rating a couple of months ago. On the down quilts, especially on Reddit, people were complaining that they were not true to temp. Now the fill weight is more in line with other mid-upper quilt manufacturers.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

EE upped the down fill per temp rating a couple of months ago. On the down quilts, especially on Reddit, people were complaining that they were not true to temp. Now the fill weight is more in line with other mid-upper quilt manufacturers.
    As are the weights.

Images

I bought a 30F EE quilt a couple of years ago and sent it back to have them add enough down to match their 20F quilts. Then it was usable down to freezing. So, yeah, I would agree with the general sentiment that adding more down is a good idea.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Has anyone used the Zpacks quilts, or had them side by side with the EE versions? The specs on the websites show that EE has more down, but it's hard to compare as EE offers 850/950 and Zpacks uses 900 fill. We have the EE Accomplice in the 20F version, which works great for spring and fall, but it's overkill for summer. I want a 2-person very light down quilt for summer hiking and using in our camper. Yes, I know an expensive down quilt is probably overkill, but it's my preference.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

The Enigma is a nice quilt, in the 20 degree.

I think owning a 40 or 50 degree quilt is silly unless it's really cheap. In my opinion, one should not spend hundreds nor sweat quality on a quilt for summer/spring/warm climates. I bought a cheap Wind Hard Tiny and while it's nice, it's unnecessary. The only use I imagine getting out of it would be in a layering quilt situation in very cold temperatures.

In fact, I'd sell mine for $90 shipped if anybody wants it. Like new, used on one trip.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    The Enigma is a nice quilt, in the 20 degree.

I think owning a 40 or 50 degree quilt is silly unless it's really cheap. In my opinion, one should not spend hundreds nor sweat quality on a quilt for summer/spring/warm climates. I bought a cheap Wind Hard Tiny and while it's nice, it's unnecessary. The only use I imagine getting out of it would be in a layering quilt situation in very cold temperatures.

In fact, I'd sell mine for $90 shipped if anybody wants it. Like new, used on one trip.
    Light, compact, come in useful when its 45 -50 f , and you will sweat under a heavier quilt. Cheap things dont weigh 12 oz , and actually keep you warm. Many people carry compact packs in warmer weather, gear volume is a concern for them. Your different, cool.

Yes NEWER EE quilts have more down fill. Obviously, people found their quilts not true to temp. Me included.

It's funny how 18 ounces vs 20 ounces made EVERYONE buy an EE quilt.... because people are dumb and don't know anything about fill weight.

I can imagine alot of people bought EE quilts because their 20* was LIGHTER than someone else's 20*. And they never even looked at fill weights . But... its LIGHTER.

Suckas.

Journal Entries

Yes NEWER EE quilts have more down fill. Obviously, people found their quilts not true to temp. Me included.

It's funny how 18 ounces vs 20 ounces made EVERYONE buy an EE quilt.... because people are dumb and don't know anything about fill weight.

I can imagine alot of people bought EE quilts because their 20* was LIGHTER than someone else's 20*. And they never even looked at fill weights . But... its LIGHTER.

Suckas.
    But this is precisely what EE tried to do.
    When he first introduced the enigma, it was only 5-10", to try to be lightest quilt on market *for most average people* With a bare minimum of down . They refused to add more as well then. Refused. Refused. horrible flat footboxes they finally improved on. After saying for a while it wasn't feasible....

Your comfort has never been their concern... Only your dollars

then again, a lot of people simply don't realize the quilts are not as warm as bags. You don't have an attached head covering for Christ's sake. There's huge gaps all along your sides. You've got a cheap flat cut and not a differential cut or a trapezoidal foot box with all but katabatic as well.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-31-2019 at 10:24.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    But this is precisely what EE tried to do.
    When he first introduced the enigma, it was only 5-10", to try to be lightest quilt on market *for most average people* With a bare minimum of down . They refused to add more as well then. Refused. Refused. horrible flat footboxes they finally improved on. After saying for a while it wasn't feasible....

Your comfort has never been their concern... Only your dollars

then again, a lot of people simply don't realize the quilts are not as warm as bags. You don't have an attached head covering for Christ's sake. There's huge gaps all along your sides. You've got a cheap flat cut and not a differential cut or a trapezoidal foot box with all but katabatic as well.
    I agree. The statement alone "we make the lightest 20* on the market" isn't actually a good thing. But it sold quilts.

And i also agree with bags are warmer than quilts. But..quilts are typically ENOUGH for a HIKERS purpose.

I hadn't slept in a bag in like 3 years after getting my Zpacks 10*. I slept in 40* weather in a budget synthetic mummy bag and within 10 minutes.. I was roasting. It was actually quite nice.

Quilts are a great piece of kit for the LW hiker.. however, I feel like people over hype them completely.

Its common to hear only about how theyre better than a bag in every way.

When i got my first quilt.. i froze in 45* weather. Had no idea how to stay warm in it because i was dumping all the heat out every 20 min.

I ordered a Katabatic.

Journal Entries

When i got my first quilt.. i froze in 45* weather. Had no idea how to stay warm in it because i was dumping all the heat out every 20 min.

I ordered a Katabatic.

Draft collar, better fit to shoulders, differential cut, trapezoid footbox.

You get what you pay for, .. .or...in some cases you dont.

Without a doubt quilts are better than bags in every single way..... Except warmth. That's the one that counts the most. The simple fact is a quilt needs a greater thickness of insulation then a bag to be as warm as the bag is. And, you need a head covering. With the extra extra wide sizes all these people want to get today, you're not saving any weight at all. And they're not as warm either.

And that's fine, until somebody expected to be warm to rating, and and they're not.
    I added 1.5 oz of down to my 20 F quilt. To make it near-er to 20 realistically.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-31-2019 at 13:16.

Default EE Enigma Quilt

i think their quilt from massdrop is a good deal, but I am planning on adding five or six ounces to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trambo View Post
    i think their quilt from massdrop is a good deal, but I am planning on adding five or six ounces to it.
    That's more than quite a bit too much. You have any idea what 6 ounces of down looks like? The Enigma on massdrop is the latest and not massdrop dumbed down. 6 oz overstuff is silly and will make you colder rather than warmer as the baffles will be so overfilled it will be like using a pool mattress.

Images

I have a 30*, it's good to about 50* - maybe

I've found that adding 10F to my quilts/bags is good for my comfort level. I've been fine in the low 20s in my zPacks 10F quilt and probably would be OK into the high teens, although I've never pushed it. I've been OK in my EE Revelation 30F down to about 50F and I suspect it would be fine into the mid 40s, but I've never taken it when temps are likely to be below 50F. I prefer to take the zPacks if I know the weather will dip down into the 40s. The extra weight is worth the extra comfort.

Traditional heavier bags are sometimes truer to ratings. For example, I used to have a Marmot 15F mummy bag. I took that one down to the low teens and was a little chilly but otherwise fine. Of course, that bag was much heavier than the zPacks which replaced it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++