WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: mcD on trail?

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    There's nothing inherently wrong with McDonalds compared to a lot of the fast casual fare that people seem to think is healthier - if you look at the actual nutritional content or lack thereof. I don't normally eat at MCD or any other fast food but I've got to say, on the PCT coming into Cajon Pass, that MCD hit the spot and I don't think a single hiker passed by without stopping there, at least no one I spoke to passed it by.
    In a similar vein...walking through DFW Terminal B I arrived at my departure gate. On the left there was a Starbuck's with a line longer than the railing defining the Starbuck's property. On the right was a smaller but more than adequate McDonald's. No line. A sausage, egg & cheese bisquit and a Latte for about the price of the Latte next door and I was a happy camper. I swear I finished my brunch before the person who would have been in front of me at Starbuck's was served.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post

you're welcome. seems closest to the trail is probably daleville, but only if death defying car dodging is your thing.

i'm booking marking this post for next time 'gator says all i ever do on here is pick fights with people : )
    Oh my goodness. Thank you so much. This is for a little sideproject that i am doing about saving money and budgeting on the trail. Gator was wrong today!

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trambo View Post
    i expressed neither the desire to hear your personal opinion, nor alternatives to my question.
    But that's the best part about WB: getting (and eventually giving - resistance is futile) unsolicited advice. It's even better if you're totally unqualified to provide an opinion on the subject matter.
    Touche, and my reply sounds kind of bad.....just don't want to get into an argument over food that we all understand isn't the healthiest.

Quote Originally Posted by full conditions View Post
    There are two in Franklin, NC; one in Bryson City, NC; one in Cherokee, NC; one in Gatlinburg, TN; Erwin, TN has one; Elizabethton, TN has two. That's as far up the trail as I'm familiar with in the Micky Dee's line.
    Thanks much for your info. I learned of the top restaurant competition over at Trek, and thought that this was worth a look....especially since I plan to share the biggest money saving secret to help people save cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    Nope.

Assume nothing about trail towns. You would be lucky if the town has a Dollar General or gas station with enough supplies for another 3 days.

When in Erwin, don't eat at McDonalds. Eat at Pal's.
    now there's another great detour that i wasn't to find locations on the trail....Dollar Tree is one of the cheapest and best resources since its packaged small already.

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    The new edition of WhiteBlaze Pages has all the major fast food chains on the trail town maps.
    i had no clue....seems there's more research to be done. Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by Trambo View Post
    now there's another great detour that i wasn't to find locations on the trail....Dollar Tree is one of the cheapest and best resources since its packaged small already.
    Dollar General, I think. A Dollar Something store for sure. Less than a mile from the AT crossing at Hwy. 19E in Elk Park, NC. A few hundred feet past the Dollar store is a local market at a gas station. By far the closest food to the trail @ Hwy. 19E
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

In recent years I've come to re-appreciate the taste and value of McFood. It's kind of like enjoying a PB&J after a couple decades of ignoring it, thinking it as merely food for kids. But another reason is that in recent years to have remodeled many of their locations nicely, and I have found them to be well above-average in apparent cleanliness for the interstate highway traveler. Places with arguably better food ... much worse bathrooms, in my experience.

That said, I'm going to avoid ordering from the touchscreen. Even though it's probably been unfairly singled out (versus door handles, money, etc), I see no reason to increase exposure unnecessarily.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...ted-with-poop/

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    I see no reason to increase exposure unnecessarily.

https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-1574...rocketing.html

there are alot of preservatives in mcd burgers, could probably stock up on them and take them on the trail, no problem.

Registered User Nolan "Guido" Jordan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    Nope.

Assume nothing about trail towns. You would be lucky if the town has a Dollar General or gas station with enough supplies for another 3 days.

When in Erwin, don't eat at McDonalds. Eat at Pal's.
    Pal's is delish. Definitely stop by this Northeastern Tennessee chain restaurant with burgers and hotdogs sometime. Didn't know they went that south down in Erwin.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    It looks like you could walk on the outside of the barriers in Daleville to stay safe from traffic. Not worth it to me, but reasonably safe.

Attachment 44939
    Glad it was raining so I stuck with pizza across the street.... cause I would have been in for a big surprise on my walk!
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BongoTheOneEyed View Post
    there are alot of preservatives in mcd burgers, could probably stock up on them and take them on the trail, no problem.
    Not any more, McD finally stopped using them about a year and a half ago. thankfully they still had them in the spring of 2018 when I did the McDonald's Challenge at Cajon pass....

...i'm booking marking this post for next time 'gator says all i ever do on here is pick fights with people : )
    lol, i just spit out my coffee

30 years ago, I was doing long caving trips. 10-20 hours when mapping. I can remember being cold, wet and far from the entrance then pulling out a zip lock full of dollar McD cheese burgers. Even smashed all to hell and cold, they tasted good and had the required fat and carbs to get me going. Thinking about them is making me hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by AsoloBootsSuk View Post
    30 years ago, I was doing long caving trips. 10-20 hours when mapping. I can remember being cold, wet and far from the entrance then pulling out a zip lock full of dollar McD cheese burgers. Even smashed all to hell and cold, they tasted good and had the required fat and carbs to get me going. Thinking about them is making me hungry.
    Were they a dollar 30 years ago? Can still get McChicken for $1 today!
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    Probably it was a larger burger for that price then (say a quarter pounder vs. the "regular" 2.x oz. one that comes with the Happy Meal that is $1 these days)? Then again, one of the gas stations has done $0.99 coffee for I believe they said 15 years, so maybe it's not impossible...

Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    According to McGoogle, in 1974 a Big Mac was .75; a 1/4 pounder, .70, a burger, .30, and med. fries, .45.

In 1992, a Big Mac, 2.45; a 1/4 pounder, 2.40, a burger, .99, and med. fries, .99

so this has to go with this thread

https://youtu.be/yE5PGe6B95o

in case anyone is curious, the companion mentions pizza hut 22 times. i didnt go through them but i think at least one is a duplicate.

i may do burger king next.
    Was just going to reply Vernon, NJ has BK, not McDonald's. Would need a taxi/shuttle to a McDonalds--which is usually near a Walmart so you could make the spend worthwhile--2 of those combo's in Sussex County but not in trail towns.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++