WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Friendliness

I have to work on this; have always tried to be real to others and genuine not affected; as a result I can come across as not that friendly.

To the OP, are you scary looking?

I haven't seen anyone else ask this question, but it's a possibility that if you are bearded or tatted up, carrying a big knife or a gun, or some other look that a young couple isn't used to seeing, maybe they we're just wary.
    Shrug.
    Guess we'll never know what their reason was, but generally people are friendly, or at least sociable.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    huh? coupla folks didn't acknowledge you in the woods and you're butthurt? much ado over nothin'
    There you go again Lone Wolf with the common sense.

We are lucky enough to have a small place on Block Island, Rhode Island which is a summer tourist destination 13 miles off the Rhode Island coast. There are a lot of tourists there from the New York metropolitan area (NY, NJ and south western Ct.) and since many/most don't bring a car, there are a lot of folks walking on the roads and sidewalks. I love to say hi to people walking towards me when they are still in their "Manhattan" mode. They are often startled then slightly embarrassed as they may mutter a quick "hi". Sometimes they say nothing but I still have fun playing the game.

Maybe they have a different culture or a really bad mood. Remember these strange Russians, if you are not familiar and try to greet them, then they will probably think that you are out of your mind.

In the small town I'm living, alpine setting and pretty touristic all around, its a social game everybody is playing: Locals are greeting each other (even ones who don't know personally), tourists just look through you.
    Its the way how we try to tell apart tourists from locals: By the fact if they're greeting back, and by tiny differences how they would spell the words.

I was a child 60 years ago.In the sleepy southern county where I was raised there was very little traffic back then.
    It was considered RUDE to meet a car and not wave at the other driver.No,you can't make this up.........

I’ve learned first hand that being too friendly is often misinterpreted. My most recent BP trip was a reminder to stay to myself and not be too social.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    I’ve learned first hand that being too friendly is often misinterpreted. My most recent BP trip was a reminder to stay to myself and not be too social.
    Were you tourist in Colorado who had SAR called on them because people they were waving for help when really they were just being friendly?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Were you tourist in Colorado who had SAR called on them because people they were waving for help when really they were just being friendly?
    Oh my!

Last week I had the crazy urge to blow the titanium whistle that I wear when hiking but thought better of it...you never know.

Waving hands to greet, but getting misinterpreted as asking for help, happened to my wife in Mongolia.
    Different culture.

I wonder how many people are incensed or horribly offended by those not responding to this thread.

May as well throw this in..In Iowa,when you meet a vehicle on a country road(and we have lots of them),it is common to see the "finger wave". That occurs when the driver raises the index finger of the hand holding the steering wheel as you approach one another. Of course,you respond with a wave,or raise or index finger.Anyone who does not raise a finger either did not grow up here,or is too young to know...

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Trek View Post
    May as well throw this in..In Iowa,when you meet a vehicle on a country road(and we have lots of them),it is common to see the "finger wave". That occurs when the driver raises the index finger of the hand holding the steering wheel as you approach one another. Of course,you respond with a wave,or raise or index finger.Anyone who does not raise a finger either did not grow up here,or is too young to know...
    Just make sure it's not the middle finger.

That middle finger wave would give the old guys hanging out at the convenience store something to talk about for weeks....

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Well here goes! My first trip to Springer Shelter my hiking partner and I arrived and hung our hammocks a few yards behind the shelter out of everyone's way.All we wanted to do was use the picnic table to heat our dinners.

There was a group of Millenials there
    What's their generation have to do with it? Anyone can be a jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    What's their generation have to do with it? Anyone can be a jerk.
    It matters because I am at least 40 years his senior and the first words out of his mouth were rude.My generation was taught to respect their elders.When you get older,you might understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Trek View Post
    You do the raised finger "howdy" in Texas too (as long as you aren't in a city.) My first thought was that they were from a big city where it's just considered very weird to say hi to a stranger unless you're hustling them for something. It happens - their loss. If it strikes me as really off I may ask them (pretty loudly) "Are you OK, everything alright" and do a little thumbs up/down gesture to make sure that they're not in any distress. I've never had anyone ignore that.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++