WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Friendliness

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Last year, I got news ... while I was on top of Newton Bald.
    I am amazed at the quality of cell coverage in certain areas of GSMNP (thru Verizon).
    I was in the Deep Creek area and Newton Bald last week...
    4G coverage on Newton Bald and Campsite 51
    3G coverage at Campsite 46
    1X coverage at Campsite 60

As for the OPs encounter, I don't specifically recall a similar encounter. But agree with others that say there's nothing more the OP should have done (other than quit worrying about it and "move on" 3 seconds after it happened).
    It sort of reminds me of Hanlon's razor "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." That razor isn't exactly a perfect fit for this situation, but similar.

Images

I am amazed at the quality of cell coverage in certain areas of GSMNP (thru Verizon).
    I was in the Deep Creek area and Newton Bald last week...

(sorry for the thread drift)

yeah....

that side of the Park gets better reception than alot of parts..

guessing cause there's more towers over bryson city and all of that area...

and these are from a few years ago so guessing it's even better now-----i've ordered tickets on the banks of the lake right by 76 using internet on phone.........people at 51 streamed a football game around the fire......and lower part of hazel was able to make a phone call.......

Journal Entries
    Images

The snarky alter-ego in me would probably have said, "there are no reservations on the AT shelters in Georgia, and hiker midnight is at 9 p.m. so if you plan on being loud and proud beyond that time, you best get hour $h!t out of here and go build a fire around one of the plenteous outlying campsites. But at the present time, what I need is for you to get your packs off of the picnic table, because it's for picnicking not pack storage. There are pegs in the shelter for your packs, and I'm hungry, so get a move on." If that didn't work, I'd probably pull out my Horner harmonica which I have no idea how to play, but it comes in handy for making people move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Well here goes! My first trip to Springer Shelter my hiking partner and I arrived and hung our hammocks a few yards behind the shelter out of everyone's way.All we wanted to do was use the picnic table to heat our dinners.

There was a group of Millenials there,all had the same identical packs which were para military looking and all done in the exact same digital camo.We encountered what was obviously the leader and the first words out of his mouth were ,"How long do you intend to be here?"Then he explained he "had the shelter" as they had a big group coming after my reply that "we will be here until morning".Duh!We had just done the approach trail and I Know they walked up from the parking lot.Oh,and I told him there is no way we would sleep in the shelter anyway.

Needless to say,they did not offer to let us use the table which was covered with their packs after we explained we were just looking for a place to fix our meal.So we sat on a 6 inch diameter log a few feet from the unused "pack holding table" to cook dinner and turn in.

The rest of their group arrived and they partied loud and proud into the wee hours of the morning.
    It was all I could do not to go wake that jerk up and tell him we were sorry if we spoiled his party.

The next time I encounter someone like that I do intend to ask to see their title.What title?The title that says they own the place!Shy people I understand,but rude people are deplorable.

I have to chime in here. If I need to use the picnic table which is full of stuff and obviously currently not being used, I'll sit down, say "how's it going?" Then "mind if I make some room so I can cook" as I start moving stuff around. By that time it's too late and their like, sorry we'll get that out of your way. Some times you just have to elbow your way in, but be nice about it.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I'm only semi-social, about every other night I stealth camp, so I don't have to deal with people at all. I very much like to choose when to socialize, as some days I'm just not feeling it. I also met people who were far less social than I, and I could certainly respect that. I like to think I pick up on cues on which people want to interact and which don't. We all have different reasons for being on the trail, all have different thoughts running through our heads, and have different cultural values. Don't assume your friendliness is the only proper way of behavior.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...o-much/524967/

That's what you get for staying at springer. Lol

I rather enjoy confronting 2-3 camo clad guys who've overdosed on protein bars who say they have the 8 person shelter and supposedly got there ahead of the rest of their party to plant their flag. AT shelters are no one party's private party spot.

so many nuances that we can't know here of course....was there eye contact, etc....
    but I agree with others that have posted about them being in a "zone"
    In situations like that I try to think of possible explanations to defend the offender.... think of situations where I might be caught doing the similar thing...
    being in a zone...maybe they were in the middle of argument and were mentally 1,000 miles away....
    or maybe they were deaf and just didn't hear you.

It's first come first served on an individual basis.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slumgum View Post
    I agree with Five Tango that groups can be some of the more rude people you might encounter. School orientation groups during the month of August in Vermont are a good example. .
    SlumGum, I will defend the school orientation groups in Vermont. Yes, they hog the shelters at the end of August, but that never bothered me because I wasn't planning on staying in one anyways. Every group I ever encountered has been polite, the leader always invites me to stay with them. Their politeness is a bit studied, I am sure the leaders have been briefed on keeping good relations with the public, but their effort is still appreciated. They always seem to bring ridiculous amounts of food with them that they are willing to share with hungry hikers
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    so many nuances that we can't know here of course....was there eye contact, etc....
    In situations like that I try to think of possible explanations to defend the offender.... think of situations where I might be caught doing the similar thing...
    being in a zone...maybe they were in the middle of argument and were mentally 1,000 miles away....
    Yeah, you just never know.
    Last edited by Traffic Jam; 04-01-2019 at 23:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Yeah, you just never know.
    Or maybe they were rude a**holes.

Journal Entries

Theres no law saying you must talk to creepy strangers.

And some people hike with headphones.

I wouldnt have given it a second thought.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-02-2019 at 05:51.

Prime a gasoline stove right next to their packs. They will move them without asking.

No headphones. Not deaf. Just in their own zone. It was in the moment I felt they were a bit off, and let them waltz off down the trail. To each their own. But even a faint and breathless “hi” would alleviate concern, and not lead me to post in here. Thanks for sharing and playing along!

PS if you see me on the trail and I don’t respond, just say beer, whiskey or chocolate and I’m all ears

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    No headphones. Not deaf. Just in their own zone. It was in the moment I felt they were a bit off, and let them waltz off down the trail. To each their own. But even a faint and breathless “hi” would alleviate concern, and not lead me to post in here. Thanks for sharing and playing along!

PS if you see me on the trail and I don’t respond, just say beer, whiskey or chocolate and I’m all ears
    Some people are just weird, at 43 you know that already. You met 2 more of them the other day, dont take it personal.
    Throwing pearls to swine.

Garlic
    Images

You never know when your appearance, grooming, clothing, or actions just rub someone the wrong way.

Some smokers can't understand why my wife and I avoid them. We won't be friendly to owners of ill-behaved pets. and they'll never understand why. And that's okay, I don't expect them to and they don't have to change.

I'm sure I, in turn, can be obnoxious to some people and I'll never understand why. I don't expect everyone to greet me pleasantly.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    SlumGum, I will defend the school orientation groups in Vermont. Yes, they hog the shelters at the end of August, but that never bothered me because I wasn't planning on staying in one anyways. Every group I ever encountered has been polite, the leader always invites me to stay with them.
    None of the groups hogged the shelters, but, like you, I was not staying in them anyway. However upon ascending a long spine of bare rock on Baker Peak a school group was spread out at the top in the process of "bonding". Gear and people were spread out all over the trail. There was no way around. After an awkward few minutes I interrupted and politely asked if I could pass by. They were more than a little chagrinned and certainly offered no apologies. Oh, and the Harvard group ... they made the most late night racket of any group I encountered on the entire Long Trail. Most groups were fine and I accept their presence as a matter of tradition. But not all of these school groups are immune to the pack mentality that can render otherwise considerate people oblivious to behavior that is offensive to other hikers. I didn't let it ruin my day. But if we are talking about "friendly", I found none of the groups I could apply that adjective to. Good for you that you had a better experience with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    ....... Don't assume your friendliness is the only proper way of behavior.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...o-much/524967/
    People in different parts of the country seem to express friendliness in different ways. In Texas people are often openly friendly to strangers but when I lived in Virginia not so much. I went on a car camping trip to Wisconsin last fall and people there were not likely to be openly friendly to strangers and a "Hello" to a stranger was often not returned. Not to say they weren't nice people and I never met an openly rude person, just not the way things are done there. I understood and respected it.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

There are universal manners that may not be taught by schools or parents anymore...

Do not talk with you mouth full

When arriving ... give a greeting

When greeted ... give response

When sneezing cover your mouth and say excuse me

When yawning cover your mouth

Say thank you for any favors you receive

Etc etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let me go

Not sure why but when I started section hiking the AT in 2016 I encountered many more friendly hikers--thru, section, and day--than now. Same in 2017 but for some reason last year I began having encounters similar to the OP. This year so far has been the same, with one or two exceptions. I'm a solo female hiker, so generally I say hi and try to be friendly but without giving too much info about where I'm going, etc. I spent 2018 hiking Virginia down to Springer, but I don't think it's a regional thing. The friendliest hikers I've encountered have been in PA--maybe it's the rocks.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++