WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Leki pole handles are loose

Have some 12 year old Leki poles that I love but recently I noticed the grips were able to move, and I'm now able to twist them and remove them from the pole. I'm not worried about warranty or anything like that I just want to get some recommendations on how to fix this? I'm thinking some epoxy in the grip, or liquid nails, the slide the pole back in? Should hold no?

Thoughts?

Drilling a hole through the handle and pole, then installing a roll pin will create a mechanical bond. Adhering unlike materials that expand/contract at different rates and are in motion against each other when used may not work well in long term, but could be short term fix if you get the right adhesive.

Shoe goo or barge cement would do wonders and last a long time. I had a hiking partner that had the sole of boot start flapping on a trip. At least 1/2 of it was debonded from the boot. A hiker we met at shelter had some barge cement and we didn't have choice so he cleaned up the surfaces well and glued the boots. it worked so well he got a few more years on it. The problem with shoe goo or barge cement is I think they use a lot of VOCs so they may not be available in all areas. There are sometimes new formulations sold but rarely as good. If you open the cap and the small of solvents fill the room you probably have the good stuff and need to proceed to well ventilated area to complete the repair.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    The problem with shoe goo or barge cement is I think they use a lot of VOCs so they may not be available in all areas.
    Walmart and Amazon both have Barge Cement in 2 oz tubes. About $7 (w/free shipping). Don't know if this is the "old" barge cement with toluene. The blue tube still is flammable and has lots of VOC's like xylene. Anything that's dangerous and is a carcinogen in California usually works best.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 04-02-2019 at 21:06.

I use hot glue. Works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let me go

:banana Good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Watson View Post
    Have some 12 year old Leki poles that I love but recently I noticed the grips were able to move, and I'm now able to twist them and remove them from the pole. I'm not worried about warranty or anything like that I just want to get some recommendations on how to fix this? I'm thinking some epoxy in the grip, or liquid nails, the slide the pole back in? Should hold no?
    Thoughts?
    Try GOOP glue...the grips will never move again! GOOP glue.jpeg

They sell a 2 ounce tube you can keep in your pack.
    You can also use this stuff to fix your boots, shoes, whatever.
    Comes in a lot of varieties, but they are all pretty much the same product.
    Last edited by atraildreamer; 04-03-2019 at 13:54.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

One thing to consider is if you one day need to replace a broken grip then use a glue that will make it possible

Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    One thing to consider is if you one day need to replace a broken grip then use a glue that will make it possible

Once the old cork is peeled off the pole, you can take off the GOOP glue. It will take a little work, but it is flexible when it sets up.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Do what you want and don't worry about taking the grips back off. After 12 years, they've already been fully amortized and owe you nothing. Everything going forward is a gift.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Images

Had the same Leki grip problem. Slide the grip down and glue the pole, slide the grip back up before it sets. I also wraped a few layers of gorilla tape around the pole against the base of the grip. So far ok after nearly 50 mi.
    Simple is good.

++ New Posts ++