WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: DCF Comaprisons

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Anything youd like to see Tipi? I have a couple sets of cuben swatches to destroy

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the offer---but I'm trying to wear out all the gear I already have and I don't think it's going to happen. Meaning---Too old to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I buy alot of expensive backpacking gear---Hilleberg tents, McHale pack, WM bag---but I have yet to fall into the Cuben fiber Wishing Well. Too old school I guess.
    Well, when you start walking more than 2 miles a day, you’ll want to look in to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    Well, when you start walking more than 2 miles a day, you’ll want to look in to it.
    Must've missed my last trip report here on Whiteblaze. I pulled several 6 mile days and one 10 mile day. And even while carrying several pounds of peanut butter.
    Trip 196 (262)-XL.jpg
    Seven miles into a Ten Mile Day.

Images

Thanks for that video, OP. My little treatise on Cuben, having now owned 2 DCF tents and numerous stuff sacks and a pack cover (all zpacks bought, alas....):

I own and have used a 0.51 zpacks solo+ tent, probably 120 nights or so, probably more, still going strong, no rips/tears anywhere. Similar story on a 0.74 DCF zpacks duplex, though fewer nights, maybe 80 or so (3 years old vs. 6 for the solo+). Though the 0.51 has held up fine, I still prefer the 0.74 of the duplex. I couldn't care less about the tents transparency or lack thereof, I just like the feel of the slightly thicker fabric of the 0.74. Just because of this feeling, I think it's worth the extra $15 and couple of ounces.

I do NOT particularly like the cuben stuff sacks, though I do continue using them (because I bought the dam things....). I only carry a few stuff sacks anyway, so the extra few tenths of an ounce for the sil-nylon sacks are OK.

I do like the zpacks DFC pack cover. For the most part, pack covers are ancillary anyway, given a mostly waterproof pack and a plastic bag inner liner I use. But at only 1.5 ounces, in the wetter climates, keeping my pack drier probably saves a bit of net weight (my measurements show a moderately wet empty pack weighs about 5 ounces more than a dry one), plus having that extra layer of waterproofness is worth the 1.5 ounces.

Bottom line, I'm a huge DCF tent fan, worth the $$$$$, if either of mine wear out, I will replace (solo+ for myself, the duplex for when with my wife). first pic shows both tents on SHR a couple years ago; I loaned the solo to a buddy who had joined us.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++