WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Ula Circuit with a Z packs Duplex

I think I'd like to store my Duplex in a slender longer stuff sack in one of the side pockets of my Circuit. Does anyone have a recommendation on how they've done this? I tried it once and just stuffed it in an old Tarptent longer slender stuff sack. I wonder if rolling it wouldn't be better... it fits under the straps of the pack fine, but getting it in the pocket on the pack is the restraining part. Ideas?

Very funny you bring this up. I contacted zpacks a week ago to let them know that their #1 selling tent does not fit in the horizontal gear straps at the bottom of their #1 selling pack.

Their response was this: We do not advise putting your tent on the outside of your pack.

So that was a useless response bc I am never going to put my tent inside my pack. Im just going to try a 17"x9" stuff sack and see how well that works.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I store my duplex, in original stuff sack, in the back pocket of the ULA Ohm 2.0 and it fits fine. Have never tried it with my Circuit. My version of the Circuit does not have the same stretchy material as the Ohm so I wonder if that would be the issue. Getting ready for a trip so I might pack the Circuit just to see if the tent will fit in back pocket. As an aside, I don't think that I would want my tent in a side pocket. I have had several items stored there torn or scratched pretty bad. Wouldn't want to risk my tent that way.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Very funny you bring this up. I contacted zpacks a week ago to let them know that their #1 selling tent does not fit in the horizontal gear straps at the bottom of their #1 selling pack.

Their response was this: We do not advise putting your tent on the outside of your pack.

So that was a useless response bc I am never going to put my tent inside my pack. Im just going to try a 17"x9" stuff sack and see how well that works.
    the more i learn about z-packs the less i want to do with any of their gear...

I have an Altaplex tent and it fits into the Zpacks Tall Dry Bag which I put into a side pocket on my Arcblast. Works out great.

The Z-people’s site says it holds a Duplex. Funny part is they also show it strapped to the bottom of the pack... which I just read they don’t advise. Unless you’re bushwhacking having it on the outside should be fine.

https://www.zpacks.com/accessories/dry_bags.shtml

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I'm confused? Do you mean the bottom cord straps? Like in the photos will wood has z seat there.

If so, i have seen plenty of tents of all sizes strapped there on zpacks packs.

When a duplex is new it packs big. When it gets broken it it literally packs to half the size once the cuben softens

But I agree with zpacks. Thats a bad place to store a cuben tent. The safest place for a cuben tent when stored on the outside of your pack is on top.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

That response goes against what they write on their our website. Below is cut and paste from their site:

This bag is the same girth as our Slim dry bag, but 18 inches tall when full/closed. It is a good size to store a tent or sleeping bag standing in a pack's side pockets. It will also fit well lashed with a backpack's base straps.

This size will fit our 20F (-7C) sleeping bag, or our Duplex or smaller tents. It is a tight squeeze in our backpack's side pockets but it does fit as shown.

Keeping a sleeping bag on the outside of your pack may not be the best idea since you want to make sure it stays dry no matter what. A tent on the other hand is no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    I'm confused? Do you mean the bottom cord straps? Like in the photos will wood has z seat there.

If so, i have seen plenty of tents of all sizes strapped there on zpacks packs.

When a duplex is new it packs big. When it gets broken it it literally packs to half the size once the cuben softens

But I agree with zpacks. Thats a bad place to store a cuben tent. The safest place for a cuben tent when stored on the outside of your pack is on top.

500 miles in and the tent has stored there 100% safe. Its not that it WONT fit, it is that the length makes me nervous, and its a tight fit for its diameter. And I carry a ti minibeener to loop the draw string of the tent sac to the sench cord of the pack. That was IF it falls out is till have my tent it will just dangle.

I would just prefer for it to be in more of a TT or Big Agnes length sac AND if the material is that fragile, then lets go with a .74oz dyneema sac, even on a .5oz tent. In the end, I can just find another sac that isn't made by zpacks.

I woulc agree I wouldn't ever carry my tent on the side. I have carried my tent for many years in the mesh of my ULA, and now with the zpacks gear, I have carried it on top of the pack, and at the bottom. I prefer it on the bottom bc for one I am very easy on gear and as well it stays out of the way down there.

IMG_0116.JPG
    IMG_0776.JPG
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

500 miles in and the tent has stored there 100% safe. Its not that it WONT fit, it is that the length makes me nervous, and its a tight fit for its diameter. And I carry a ti minibeener to loop the draw string of the tent sac to the sench cord of the pack. That was IF it falls out is till have my tent it will just dangle.

I would just prefer for it to be in more of a TT or Big Agnes length sac AND if the material is that fragile, then lets go with a .74oz dyneema sac, even on a .5oz tent. In the end, I can just find another sac that isn't made by zpacks.

I woulc agree I wouldn't ever carry my tent on the side. I have carried my tent for many years in the mesh of my ULA, and now with the zpacks gear, I have carried it on top of the pack, and at the bottom. I prefer it on the bottom bc for one I am very easy on gear and as well it stays out of the way down there.

IMG_0116.JPG
    IMG_0776.JPG
    Ron at Mountain Laurel Designs will make you a custom sized silnylon stuff sack. Jared at simply light designs probably will too.

That gets you a custom sized sack and eliminates you experiencing the overall demise if your .51 dcf stuff sack over the next 500 miles.

Those straps are going to eventually wear through your stuff sack.

I have a new circuit. The side pockets are pretty large and have a draw cord/ buckle to cinch the top of the pocket tight.
    Hth

ULA Catalyst. MSR HUBBA HUBBA NX. The tent, poles and stakes in the factory stuff sack vertically in the right side pocket and under the compression straps above the pocket. Solid carry. No movement of the tent. Freed up a huge amount of space in the Catalyst main pack bag.
    By the way. I figured this out on the trail the second morning I used the Catalyst and Hubba Hubba. Internet not consulted.
    Wayne
    Last edited by Venchka; 04-06-2019 at 17:54.

I keep my BA Fly Creek UL1 in the side pouch of my ULA Circuit. Been doing it for over 1,000 miles (including Catalyst before that).
    Only issue I have is I tore a hole in the Fly Creek sack somewhere in NH this summer, from either rubbing against a tree branch or rock.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

++ New Posts ++