Yesterday morning about 6 1/2 miles south of Clingmans dome a young woman (25sh?) out hiking with her friend slipped and broke her ankle around 8am. There was no phone coverage and our spot satellite trackers weren't any help. First aid was administered. The young lady was covered up in her sleeping bag for warmth, foot elevated and boot left on. After doing all we could could to help we left here with her friend. After a mile or so a phone got a signal and 911 was called. All information was relayed. Search and Rescue was notified. About 1 mile from Clingmans I ran into the 2 SAR member going to help. This was about 2pm. I was able to talk to them for just a minute (they were in a hurry) The plan was to get to her and evaluate her condition. Extraction was to be the following morning (today). Some things to think about. After we left her she had no idea what was going on. She had no idea if/when we got through. No one walked back the mile to tell them we got through. We passed no one who could have relayed the message to them. Due to the incredibly crappy weather not many were on the trail that day. Things could have been much worse. I don't think the SAR could have made it there before 5pm. Imagine this scenario for a solo hiker or maybe happening later in the day when nobody else is passing by. Just somethings to think about and understand.

Before calling dupe this is a repost of what I posted on a face book page.
Gave me a lot to think about especially as a solo hiker.

ETA; is there anyone or anywhere I can find updates on how things ended up?