Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 220
  1. #141

    Default

    I’ve got better things to do than worry about if someone is using a smart phone on the trail.

  2. #142
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-28-2008
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Age
    67
    Posts
    4,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    Do the print guides not do the same things? Not everybody's view of adventure is the same.
    Colin Fletcher despised guide books for this very reason.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

  3. #143
    4eyedbuzzard's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-02-2007
    Location
    DFW, TX / Northern NH
    Age
    63
    Posts
    7,965
    Images
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Colin Fletcher despised guide books for this very reason.
    He also loved corduroy shorts. Should we emulate that idiosyncrasy as well? Just to "be like Colin"?

    Can you imagine the sound of 1000's of corduroy clad thru-hiker thighs rubbing together?

    "Is it a 17 year Cicada hatch?"
    "No, it's just thru-hiker season again."

  4. #144
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-28-2008
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Age
    67
    Posts
    4,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    He also loved corduroy shorts. Should we emulate that idiosyncrasy as well? Just to "be like Colin"?

    Can you imagine the sound of 1000's of corduroy clad thru-hiker thighs rubbing together?

    "Is it a 17 year Cicada hatch?"
    "No, it's just thru-hiker season again."
    That would be hilarious.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

  5. #145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    He also loved corduroy shorts. Should we emulate that idiosyncrasy as well? Just to "be like Colin"?

    Can you imagine the sound of 1000's of corduroy clad thru-hiker thighs rubbing together?

    "Is it a 17 year Cicada hatch?"
    "No, it's just thru-hiker season again."
    <zip zwup zip zwup zip zwup> "hey kid, turn that phone down"

    "What? Can't hear you over the shorts"

  6. #146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    There was a young female Adirondack Park Docent, about 18-19 yrs old, in uniform, engaged in light conversation speaking about the Nature and protections of Adirondak Park to about 25 people of different ages, ethnicities, colors, economic status, gender identities, political stances, etc standing in a semi circle around her. We were people of many persuasions, all having a delightful, cordial, and mutually respectful give and take - an actual in person polite discussion. NONE of us had faces glued to a Fartph. What made it difficult for all were constant rude self absorbed indifferent cold unfeeling impolite pushiness from those wanting her to immediately answer where cell reception was available. One husband and wife with their two younger children got into a confrontation with one cell phone wannabe user when one of their children was knocked to the ground as he pushed to the front to ask the Docent about reception. As this was occurring an early 20's couple was shoved by a different cell ph wanna have reception teen PIG with the man getting in her face. Cell ph reception drug of choice mob mentality! The Docent and several of us quieted folks down somewhat. As soon as we did this a 30 something Zombie woman came crashing in almost falling down on her face(she scraped her knee badly) interrupting the polite conversations we were having demanding cell ph reception. This happened about a dozen times in the span of 12-15 minutes.


    NO matter what was politely told and shared with the mobile computer reception disconnected ADDICTS, they all, with the exception of one 19 yr old, went off highly agitated, disrespectful, impolite, self absorbed, some using profanity, with limited focus on accomplishing one task - getting their fix, getting their dopamine rush.



    Now, we're going to say "mind your mobile computer usage?" That comment ignores the nature and power addiction and ingrained habits can have.


    Addiction is a brain disorder characterized by compulsive engagement in rewarding stimuli despite adverse consequences.


    These devices we use(me included in the we!) are powerful stimuli that can lead to compulsive engagement where we become conditioned Pavlov's dogs.
    That's pretty outrageous. There should be a law enforcement solution to such rudeness. it's too bad that on land that was privately gifted some donors didn't write into the conditions that there be no distracting electronic devices used on the land they gave. They could have new rules or have devices to white out reception like a lot of schools do with interference devices. Overuse and addiction to devices is a major mental health issue.


  7. #147

    Default

    Other peoples tech doesn't bother me on the trail. What bothers me is when some jackwagon has his BT speaker blasting for the whole world to hear is hippity hop music. I don't wanna hear it and neither does anyone else. Get ear buds.
    AT Shuttle List
    Trail Miles: 3,715.9
    AT Trips: 67
    AT Map 1 Completion: 1818.9 Springer, GA - Franconia Notch, NH
    AT Map 2 Completion: 263.8 Gaps From GA - PA

  8. #148
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-17-2019
    Location
    Enon, Ohio
    Age
    26
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    Do the print guides not do the same things? Not everybody's view of adventure is the same.
    Not as much. Print guides don't show you pictures of every water source or every shelter. They don't let you read other people's comments about a place. I also think guide books are over used.
    Last edited by JoshMcR; 04-09-2019 at 18:00.

  9. #149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    Love the way you took my simple statement to the absurd level. Just shows you don't really like the idea of people hiking their own hike. If we aren't like you, I guess we are automatically wrong. You are very dogmatic.
    Hiding behind HYOH to justify doing anything one wants absent of consciousness for Nature, trail communities, and others is fashionable for the narcissistic self absorbed.

  10. #150

    Default

    Come on, Dogwood - do you really think he meant 'anything one wants' as opposed to things that have no real bearing on others?

  11. #151
    ME => GA 19AT3 rickb's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-12-2002
    Location
    Marlboro, MA
    Posts
    6,990
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Hiding behind HYOH to justify doing anything one wants absent of consciousness for Nature, trail communities, and others is fashionable for the narcissistic self absorbed.
    In the age of connectivity many — including me — often fail to live up to the HYOH standard.

    Rather, we HOEH (hike our employer’s hikes).

    This sucks, of course.

    Sucks even more for some of our hiking partners who may not notice it when we pull out our phones to check email or Tesla stock when walking behind them (I know I am not the only one to do this) but who are no less impacted for not being with our true “outdoor selves” during such special times together.

    There is another way — impossible to cure others, hard enough to cure oneself.

    Is there a 12 step program?

  12. #152

    Default

    Two yrs ago on a PCT LASH 3 out of every 10 PCT thru hikers while on trail were walking while their faces were buried in Fartphones. Began asking what they were engaged. When I could get an answer, 70% of the time it was digital social media, a lot taking selfies, ...not navigation, checking weather reports, trail logistics, getting ride to resupply, or sending that all important eMail to family about their location, they weren't eaten by a bear or bitten by a snake, abducted, or what was in their GORP or MH dinner they were having tonight. They were not working from trail.

    At Crater Lake NP 22 PCT thrus were doing their resupply with all but 3 on their FartPhones. Some were bumping rudely into each other including other CL NP visitors. Some had badly cut knees and leg road rashes. I asked, "what happened?" Half the time it was because they fell while walking on their FartPhones. Two young vacuous 20 yrs old female thrus with knee abrasions laughed recounting how they had bumped into each both taking spills while walking with faces planted in their phones. One had gashed her elbow too and damaged her ZP pack and was awaiting replacement parts to be mailed. A mid 20 something yr old had facial abrasions including a nasty gash on the tip of his nose. He too had fallen while walking while on his Fart Phone.

    Now all three states the PCT visits have legalized. Two yrs ago, before Cali legalized, 6-7 out of every 10 PCT thrus were carrying and imbibing regularly. Where might this be leading? Texting while intoxicated while backpacking?


    I'm a numbers and sociology guy. I like to note trends.

  13. #153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Come on, Dogwood - do you really think he meant 'anything one wants' as opposed to things that have no real bearing on others?
    Does fart ph use truly have no bearing on others? Did you read what others and myself experienced on Mt Marcy? Read about what was witnessed at Crater Lake NP among PCT thrus and other CL NP visitors. Usage can clearly negatively impact others.


    HYOH is often used in defense of narcissistic personal behavior/self entitlement and excessive self love - narcissism - even if it negatively impacts others. If it makes you happy, and only you happy, do it. We certainly can have personal happiness while also being conscientious of other's happiness? We do NOT live and backpack as islands!

  14. #154
    4eyedbuzzard's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-02-2007
    Location
    DFW, TX / Northern NH
    Age
    63
    Posts
    7,965
    Images
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Two yrs ago on a PCT LASH 3 out of every 10 PCT thru hikers while on trail were walking while their faces were buried in Fartphones. Began asking what they were engaged. When I could get an answer, 70% of the time it was digital social media, a lot taking selfies, ...not navigation, checking weather reports, trail logistics, getting ride to resupply, or sending that all important eMail to family about their location, they weren't eaten by a bear or bitten by a snake, abducted, or what was in their GORP or MH dinner they were having tonight. They were not working from trail.

    At Crater Lake NP 22 PCT thrus were doing their resupply with all but 3 on their FartPhones. Some were bumping rudely into each other including other CL NP visitors. Some had badly cut knees and leg road rashes. I asked, "what happened?" Half the time it was because they fell while walking on their FartPhones. Two young vacuous 20 yrs old female thrus with knee abrasions laughed recounting how they had bumped into each both taking spills while walking with faces planted in their phones. One had gashed her elbow too and damaged her ZP pack and was awaiting replacement parts to be mailed. A mid 20 something yr old had facial abrasions including a nasty gash on the tip of his nose. He too had fallen while walking while on his Fart Phone.

    Now all three states the PCT visits have legalized. Two yrs ago, before Cali legalized, 6-7 out of every 10 PCT thrus were carrying and imbibing regularly. Where might this be leading? Texting while intoxicated while backpacking?


    I'm a numbers and sociology guy. I like to note trends.
    Hmm, yeah, not paying attention to the activity at hand can lead to injury. Even without partaking of head wax or being impaired by any electronic device, the worst falls I've ever had skiing were at the bottom of the hill while distracted by the scenery. Spandex can be dangerous too.

  15. #155

    Join Date
    05-05-2011
    Location
    state of confusion
    Posts
    9,869
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Two yrs ago on a PCT LASH 3 out of every 10 PCT thru hikers while on trail were walking while their faces were buried in Fartphones. Began asking what they were engaged. When I could get an answer, 70% of the time it was digital social media, a lot taking selfies, ...not navigation, checking weather reports, trail logistics, getting ride to resupply, or sending that all important eMail to family about their location, they weren't eaten by a bear or bitten by a snake, abducted, or what was in their GORP or MH dinner they were having tonight. They were not working from trail.
    .
    It 75% of what most of them do at work too
    Or at home

    A lost generation

  16. #156
    Rain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-07-2003
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Age
    69
    Posts
    6,120
    Images
    620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    A lost generation
    Any idea how many "lost generations" there have been?
    ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit..... Numbers 35

    www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

    .

  17. #157

    Join Date
    05-05-2011
    Location
    state of confusion
    Posts
    9,869
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Any idea how many "lost generations" there have been?
    Nothing like this

    Get ready for great grandkids to speak chinese

  18. #158
    4eyedbuzzard's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-02-2007
    Location
    DFW, TX / Northern NH
    Age
    63
    Posts
    7,965
    Images
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Any idea how many "lost generations" there have been?
    Every one of them. Well, except mine.

  19. #159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    If you don't want to use it, leave it at home. Otherwise, what other people choose to/not to use is their choice to make.
    Likewise, I don't give a royal flying purple rat's a$$ if people are glued to their phones or carrying 85lb packs. If they fall off a cliff while taking a selfie, so be it.
    UL, because nobody ever asks "How can I make my pack heavier?"

  20. #160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Does fart ph use truly have no bearing on others? Did you read what others and myself experienced on Mt Marcy? Read about what was witnessed at Crater Lake NP among PCT thrus and other CL NP visitors. Usage can clearly negatively impact others.


    HYOH is often used in defense of narcissistic personal behavior/self entitlement and excessive self love - narcissism - even if it negatively impacts others. If it makes you happy, and only you happy, do it. We certainly can have personal happiness while also being conscientious of other's happiness? We do NOT live and backpack as islands!
    Unless I've missed something, nobody -in this thread- is defending the behavior that you describe. When you're making choices that actively interfere with others it becomes a completely different conversation. My point regarding HYOH is simply to not let others individual elections (using a phone as a camera/navigational resource, etc) affect your enjoyment when they're not actively jarring your experience. Being rude, listening to music aloud, etc are things that could, of course, actively effect you and I wouldn't tolerate them well either.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •