WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Caldera Cone Ti Tri Sidewinder

I've been using sidewinder caldera cones as my primary cook kit since their inception. Someone on reddit asked me to make a video about how mine is dialed in after taking it on a few LD hikes and lots of overnight jaunts. Here's my sidewinder kit after thousands of meals and miles. Imo, i still havent seen a system work better in real world everyday use.

https://youtu.be/josiprV2aIY

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    I've been using sidewinder caldera cones as my primary cook kit since their inception. Someone on reddit asked me to make a video about how mine is dialed in after taking it on a few LD hikes and lots of overnight jaunts. Here's my sidewinder kit after thousands of meals and miles. Imo, i still havent seen a system work better in real world everyday use.

Nice Vid...My setup is exactly the same except I use a Zelph Starlyte instead of the TD Kojin/12-10. My pot is a Toaks 900ml wide bottom.

I cut the stakes shorter with a bolt cutter, They now fit in the pot.

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    Nice Vid...My setup is exactly the same except I use a Zelph Starlyte instead of the TD Kojin/12-10. My pot is a Toaks 900ml wide bottom.

I cut the stakes shorter with a bolt cutter, They now fit in the pot.
    I rocked the starlyte for a while. Didnt like the 12-10. Once i used a stove thay held onto the fuel like a 12-10/kojin .. i can never go back. Thanks!

I’m with you both on your setup and operation. I, too, have cut my stakes. I have switched to the Kojin stove. I also store my mini-bic lighter in the pot, as well as a 100mL alcohol flip top bottle, with birch bark in the bottom of the bag.

The birch bark is ‘tradition’ — the core piece of it being from Quetico back in 1975. Keeps my heart warm!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you think it's worth the weight to carry the inferno on an AT thru hike?

Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic View Post
    I bailed on a plan to attempt a thru in 2017, but I had planned to take the inferno with me. I feel it's worth it.

It all depends. If you are using wood as your sole fuel source, absolutely. If you like having a fire when it's wet, absolutely. If all you want to do is heat up water, maybe not.

I've had mine for about ten years, love it.

The Inferno for my 900mL stove weighs 33gm, including the 2 Ti stakes.

One meal’s worth of alcohol fuel weighs about 30gm.

My miniBic weighs 16gm. My fire striker weighs 28gm. My XL-sized DarnTough socks weigh 97gm — and that’s clean, which they seldom are on the trail … My wife-made hiking kilt cut from an extra tarp weighs 122gm.

Maybe I could cut the bottom quarter off my hiking kilt. Maybe I could leave my fire striker at home. Maybe I could …

Oh shucks …

One fire saves the weight of the Inferno …

And when the situation allows, I love fiddling with fire.

I gladly carry my Inferno.

Journal Entries
    Images

Nice tight setup! Thanks for sharing.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Images

After thousands of meals and miles you should really be good at making twig fires.....please make a video showing us how you stack your twigs, use tinder and light it with?. Let the video roll withought editing so we can see how easy it is to make little fires and heat 2 cups of water. I like watching twig fire videos so don't edit it even if it makes lots of smoke and goes out a time or two. After all, the inferno is all about twig fires....we would appreciate a video showing the twig fire way of heating water, thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    After thousands of meals and miles you should really be good at making twig fires.....please make a video showing us how you stack your twigs, use tinder and light it with?. Let the video roll withought editing so we can see how easy it is to make little fires and heat 2 cups of water. I like watching twig fire videos so don't edit it even if it makes lots of smoke and goes out a time or two. After all, the inferno is all about twig fires....we would appreciate a video showing the twig fire way of heating water, thank you in advance.
    Yes, please!

Love the video, thank you! What a weird coincidence, the day I’m seriously considering one of these caldera cone set-ups, this thread pops up

Any comments or concerns about the TI Tri bundle using a Toaks 650 ml pot?

https://www.traildesigns.com/product...-ti-tri-bundle

Searching through previous threads (coincidentally started by the same OP) for answers to some of my questions, it sounds like a .9L pot is most suitable for my needs. I am mainly cooking in my pot these days... usually meals that require rehydration and short cooking times.

What makes me a little gun shy is having the cone custom-built for the pot. I’ve been comparing the measurements of different pots to see which ones might be interchangeable. If anyone has a list of pot measurements I’d appreciate it...or if anyone uses more than one specific pot for their cone, what are they? How much does a difference in pot dimensions affect the use of the cone? For instance, does a pot 1/4” smaller work just as well?

A con for me is this system with the Inferno and Evernew .9L pot increases the weight of my current set-up but only by a few ounces. The wood burning capability cancels that out though.

Images

Any cone can be used with twigs. Get a pair of cross members to fit on top of the cone that is the appropriate size. An example of cross members 2 piece:

Any cone can be used with twigs. Get a pair of cross members to fit on top of the cone that is the appropriate size. An example of cross members 2 piece:
    Has this been tested for efficiency/boil time against the TD inferno set-up? do those "members" fit in all the sizes of solo/2p pots?

And what's the weight?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    Has this been tested for efficiency/boil time against the TD inferno set-up? do those "members" fit in all the sizes of solo/2p pots?
    Here is a kit I made a while back. Trail Designs made the cones for the kits I put together.

Last edited by zelph; 10-22-2019 at 13:56.

I practiced with the inferno today using your method and couldn’t start a twig fire worth a damn. Tried for over an hour...did everything I could think of including using paper towels and shaving the twigs so they had little curlicues all over. So frustrating. I’ve never had good fire skills but come on! It was warmish and dry, no reason that it shouldn’t have been a rip roaring fire. Ugh. I probably wasted a lot of money on that Inferno.

got a flame only one time (per photo)...the rest of the time the twigs smoldered and created ash but never caught fire.

1327BF65-CCDB-4E38-B965-D84AE6A3A301.jpeg
    Last edited by Traffic Jam; 11-20-2019 at 21:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    I practiced with the inferno today using your method and couldn’t start a twig fire worth a damn. Tried for over an hour...did everything I could think of including using paper towels and shaving the twigs so they had little curlicues all over. So frustrating. I’ve never had good fire skills but come on! It was warmish and dry, no reason that it shouldn’t have been a rip roaring fire. Ugh. I probably wasted a lot of money on that Inferno.

got a flame only one time (per photo)...the rest of the time the twigs smoldered and created ash but never caught fire.

1327BF65-CCDB-4E38-B965-D84AE6A3A301.jpeg
    I wouldn't give up. I've never failed to use the inferno effectively. Furthermore all my friends joke about how well it works when stuff is dry. I'm very sloppy with it when there's good dry fuel around. You definitely need to make sure it's getting the oxygen it needs. What im getting at... its probably you haha! Did you watch my video on actually using the inferno with the 600ml. Less than ideal conditions. Crappy fuel. I was sloppy and still boiled two cups in about 10 minutes.

Hey sorry for the late response Zelph. I actually did make a video on the twig fire and its it's exactly as you described. Freezing cold out. Twigs from around the wet yard. 2 cups in about 10 minutes with no fancy editing. It smokes and I need to fiddle with it. I was sloppy and still got it done with mininal effort. Kind of a perfect example of the downsides using the 600ml size. The 900 and 1300 perform better in inferno mode.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++