Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Definitely don't give up on the inferno. I've always been able to get a great fire going in it, even with wet wood. I don't bother to use just twigs; I use small pieces of wood as well, as long as they fit in the stove. I've found a vaseline soaked cotton ball works great for fire starting. Put it at the bottom of the stove, on top of a small amount of wood, cover it with lots of wood and light it. The inferno works really well with my 900 and 1300 ml pots- mine was designed for a 1300 ml pot. I've tried down to about a 450 ml pot, but find that it is cumbersome to position. The beauty of wood heating is that you can easily get some extra hot water for a drink or cleaning up with essentially no additonal effort. 8-10 minutes from lighting the cotton ball is usually sufficient to get 2 cups of cold water to a boil. I've often kept the inferno going after cooking to enjoy the small fire for ambience. The biggest drawback of this system for me is the messy pot exterior which I need to carefully protect from the rest of my pack. However, the soot isn't all that much of a problem to (mostly) remove if I feel energetic.
    Trail name Catnapper

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    I wouldn't give up. I've never failed to use the inferno effectively. Furthermore all my friends joke about how well it works when stuff is dry. I'm very sloppy with it when there's good dry fuel around. You definitely need to make sure it's getting the oxygen it needs. What im getting at... its probably you haha! Did you watch my video on actually using the inferno with the 600ml. Less than ideal conditions. Crappy fuel. I was sloppy and still boiled two cups in about 10 minutes.
    Braggart!

(of course itís me...I suck at making fires.)

Quote Originally Posted by renais View Post
    Definitely don't give up on the inferno. I've always been able to get a great fire going in it, even with wet wood. I don't bother to use just twigs; I use small pieces of wood as well, as long as they fit in the stove. I've found a vaseline soaked cotton ball works great for fire starting. Put it at the bottom of the stove, on top of a small amount of wood, cover it with lots of wood and light it. The inferno works really well with my 900 and 1300 ml pots- mine was designed for a 1300 ml pot. I've tried down to about a 450 ml pot, but find that it is cumbersome to position. The beauty of wood heating is that you can easily get some extra hot water for a drink or cleaning up with essentially no additonal effort. 8-10 minutes from lighting the cotton ball is usually sufficient to get 2 cups of cold water to a boil. I've often kept the inferno going after cooking to enjoy the small fire for ambience. The biggest drawback of this system for me is the messy pot exterior which I need to carefully protect from the rest of my pack. However, the soot isn't all that much of a problem to (mostly) remove if I feel energetic.
    Thanks for the encouragement, I’ll keep trying. Maybe one day I’ll be a proficient fire maker.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement, Iíll keep trying. Maybe one day Iíll be a proficient fire maker.
    Oí course, it was warm and the wood was dry...but finally! Canít tell yíall how many frustrating times I burned my thumb with my lighter while trying to start a dang twig fire. First successful fire with my Inferno. 😀

F691CF76-C699-4813-A436-9DC99AA72A9F.jpg

6B71F9BA-9449-4431-B66C-5C6ECDDB589B.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++