WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    I think you are right. I was hiking the AT just outside Caledonia SP when I look down and a timber rattler was about 8 feet away curled up right on the side of the trail. After I calmed down, I skirted around the snake but I thought "I can't leave him there to bite somebody" so I lobbed small stones near him until he crawled away. Never rattled once even when one stone bounced off him. I guess he was a pretty laid back snake.
    Timber rattlers are known for being very laid back most of time.

Ive had several close encounters with no rattle.

An article appeared a few yrs ago about snakes that rattle getting killed.....so the non rattling ones are more prone to survive

Snakes dont hunt people, or take one on willingly. Nor can they strike from more than half body length away....about 2.5 ' for large snake.

Watch where put hands and feet and they arent a concern.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-07-2019 at 10:26.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Watch where put hands and feet and they arent a concern.
    And that's the whole problem---watch were I put my feet . . . uh . . .cuz I'm backpacking all day and my feet are . . . uh . . . at ground level all day. Which means I'm hiking in a mine field and the extra caution needed on a daily basis is wearing me out. Solution?? Back to my old mantra---Keep My Eyeballs Open . . . etc.

Stepping on a pit viper is not an option. Yellow jackets chase me down on occasion and sting the crap out of me. Pit vipers do not chase me down but one moment of blissful unawareness and I've got a bad story to tell and a $180,000 hospital bill---if I'm lucky and can get out.

Therefore the only option for me is to GO SLOW . . . LOOK WHERE I PUT MY FEET . . . Slow down, stop, reassess, OR GET SNAKE GAITERS IF REALLY PARANOID.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post

Therefore the only option for me is to GO SLOW . . . LOOK WHERE I PUT MY FEET . . . Slow down, stop, reassess, OR GET SNAKE GAITERS IF REALLY PARANOID.
    I wouldnt go in woods to bowhunt without snake chaps, but thats traipsing around where often in brush and weeds and cant see feet. Not a problem on most well maintained trails but a few overgrown ones could require caution.

On trail.....dont blindly step over logs that are on ground . Ill run my pole down other side before step over. Or off overhanging rocks.
    Look around before sit, etc.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-07-2019 at 12:07.

I have insurance (ACA) but keep reading about how anti-venom can be horribly expensive if you don't have "good insurance". I'll have to look into this prior to my AZT section in May ... Anyone know if there is reason to believe anti venom isn't covered under the basic benefits of an ACA policy (after deductible)?

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I wouldnt go in woods to bowhunt without snake chaps, but thats traipsing around where often in brush and weeds and cant see feet. Not a problem on most well maintained trails but a few overgrown ones could require caution.

On trail.....dont blindly step over logs that are on ground . Ill run my pole down other side before step over. Or off overhanging rocks.
    Look around before sit, etc.
    Most of the trails I backpack here in the Southeast are terribly overgrown and weedy---including our famous Doghobble. The trail is faintly visible but it's mostly a thicket.

One time I sat resting by South Fork Creek on a fallen log and looked underneath and saw Johnny with his head poking out---

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++