WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    I like to cook in my pot - less trash weight (as has already been pointed out), no plastic chemicals leaching into my food from the freezer bag, easier to simmer and get food really fully hydrated and hot. I don't find the cleaning of pot to be onerous at all. I know many disagree. HYOH
    I would like to know what method QiWiz uses to clean the pot and whether or not you offer a titanium pot scraper?

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Anybody ever used a metal tent stake to scrape a pot with?

no

10 characters

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

There are lots of silicon pot scrapers available cheap. The ones the size of a credit card are perfect for hiking. They do a real nice job of cleaning your pot without scratching. I scrape the pot, lick the scraper, then drop it in the next boil.

The last time I cooked pasta in my pot it stuck on so hard that my Lexan spoon was totally ineffective at removing it.Wound up having pasty coffee the next morning,brought the pot home and scraped it all out with a metal spoon.
    I will likely have at least a titanium spoon available next time to scrape with.

Images

I have found a new multi purpose pot/bowl/fry pan. 500ml capacity titanium bowl. It's working out really nice for me.

me frying eggs, short and to the point:

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    I have found a new multi purpose pot/bowl/fry pan. 500ml capacity titanium bowl. It's working out really nice for me.

me frying eggs, short and to the point:

Details please.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Details please.
    This is the one I purchased and seasoned it with canola oil. Fried eggs using canola oil.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    This is the one I purchased and seasoned it with canola oil. Fried eggs using canola oil.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TY.

I dont know much about heat distribution, how would this work on an alchy stove? I have a cool pot support so the pan wouldn’t be directly on the stove.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    TY.

I dont know much about heat distribution, how would this work on an alchy stove? I have a cool pot support so the pan wouldn’t be directly on the stove.
    Give it a try using your pot support, hold onto the handles, if it looks like it's getting to hot and wants to burn....raise the pot/pan

I choose freezer bag, because it's easy and I don't need long time to clean any pots.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    Do some research on the problem with heating plastics as it relates to human health. I am fully aware this response won’t be popular, so I won’t say more.
    You are absolutely right. That is why I do not use plastic containers in a microwave oven even when it says: "microwave safe". People should be thankful to you for the information.

I cook in my pot. As pointed out previously you can boil your food to higher temps for a longer time giving more options for food choices. I minimize cleanup by only boiling at the begining when still soupy so nothing sticks and then it goes in a pot cozy to finish. Also I have an anodized pot with heat exchanger. I use an eCHS alcohol stove.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I prefer to cook in my pot. I have a silicon scraper to get all the last bits (which I eat), and tend to make the meals on the thin side to get more water. On long trips, I cut down on packaging waste by packing most items in bulk, i.e. one big bag of oats, a big bag of rice or potatoes, bags of dehydrated veggies, etc., and make meals on the go.

Meals are just added to the boiling water and left to soak. I never put a full pot of food on the heat - just about guaranteed to scorch.

For shorter trips freezer bags are fast and easy and the waste is limited. Depending on my mood and the preferences of anyone I might be cooking with I might go either way.

For longer trips with multiple re-supplies, freezer bags are too much work and too much waste.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    For shorter trips freezer bags are fast and easy and the waste is limited. Depending on my mood and the preferences of anyone I might be cooking with I might go either way.

For longer trips with multiple re-supplies, freezer bags are too much work and too much waste.

This makes a great deal of sense.I like everything about the pot except the cleaning.The only thing I like about the Freezer bag is the convenience.But I have switched to the FB because it makes for one less chore to do at night,plus it makes LNT easier.(Yeah,I know all about drinking the wash water,no thanks.)Now that I have a Trail Designs Fkeg with Caldera Cone and a Zelph Starlyte XL plus all my accessories for under 10 oz there's just no turning back now.

I've done freezer-bag cooking since before it had a name. But, I have evolved into cold soak freezer bag "cooking". And I actually haven't used freezer bags in about 15 years. Those real thin bread and storage bags work just fine.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Storyguy View Post
    For a long thru hike, which method do you prefer and why?

Thanks.
    How about you Storyguy....which method do you prefer and why???

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    Do some research on the problem with heating plastics as it relates to human health. I am fully aware this response won’t be popular, so I won’t say more.
    This. A thousand times, This. I will not cook in a plastic bag, period. Freezer bags are not designed to be heated. If you want to eat the plasticizers that leach out of them, that's your business. I won't.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++