WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Journal Entries

FBC works good if you prep your own cooked/dehydrated food and mail food drops
    Or buy freeze dried meals
    Or eat ramen, or instant mac/cheese, or minute rice

But uncooked pasta doesnt "cook"via fbc, its not hot enough. It will if put pasta in pot and bring to boil before soaking, but just pouring water cools it 10f, and its no longer hot enough to actually cook. Its pasty, nasty.

So, it depends on what you want to eat. On a long hike, it limits selection of food somewhat. Im pretty good at using maildrops for a month or so, and it works fine for me in that time. If not using maildrops and premade meals....just cookin pot. You can cook pasta in pot, then combine with other in plastic bag or container, and just have starchy residue in pot to deal with. I wish lipton sides wouldnt pre combine flavors with pasta for this reason.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-08-2019 at 23:19.

A couple more thoughts on being a pan fan...hate the mess with pouches- not the pouch itself but rather the spoon/spork ends up touching the side and unless you have an extra long utensil even your fingers may get slimed. Yes you can focus and be extra careful so this does not happen but with a pan, you can almost eat with your eyes closed and not make a mess.
    Being a warm weather hiker I also find my food is often still too hot when ready and with the large flattish pan I use, just removing the lid cools it off fast. Sometimes dinner gets interupted and cools off too much and of course in a pan, reheat is much faster and a little easier too.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crossup View Post
    A couple more thoughts on being a pan fan...hate the mess with pouches- not the pouch itself but rather the spoon/spork ends up touching the side and unless you have an extra long utensil even your fingers may get slimed. Yes you can focus and be extra careful so this does not happen but with a pan, you can almost eat with your eyes closed and not make a mess.
    Pastry bag approach.

Tear bottom corner off ziplock
    Squeeze into mouth

Problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Pastry bag approach.

Squeeze into mouth

Problem solved
    Except for the re-use …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I advocate trying different ways of doing things so one can form their own opinion and decide what works best for them. Before poo-pooing something, people should try it, they might be surprised.

I tried sous vide cooking and found that it took a long time and used a lot of fuel...maybe I did something wrong? For the LD hiker, it seems the least efficient way to cook. Granted, I only tried it once and should revisit this.

Cleaning the pot after pot cooking...it really wasn’t the issue that I thought it would be and there was no residual flavor in my coffee the next morning. Some people carry a scrap of mesh used for packaging vegetables and fruit as a pot scour.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Pastry bag approach.
    Squeeze into mouth
    Problem solved
    Quote Originally Posted by Traillium View Post
    Except for the re-use …
    The bag has four corners, four re-uses?

I like to cook in my pot - less trash weight (as has already been pointed out), no plastic chemicals leaching into my food from the freezer bag, easier to simmer and get food really fully hydrated and hot. I don't find the cleaning of pot to be onerous at all. I know many disagree. HYOH
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    I don't find the cleaning of pot to be onerous at all.
    I wonder how much opinions on this vary based on what people are usually cooking.
    I could see something with a cheese sauce or a pasta sauce would be a bit more messy than something "cleaner" such as chicken and rice.
    I'm personally not into sauces and therefore my pot is usually pretty easy to clean. Perhaps the part that takes the longest is trying to scrape out as much food as possible as I have a distaste for mixing the remnants with water and drinking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    FBC is not an acronym.

Acronyms are one of those words I thought I knew the meaning of, but after looking it up I learned that initials can be an acronym, but an acronym is pronounced like a word. NASA is an acronym because it's pronounced like a word, whereas FBI or FBC are not, since they are not pronounced like a word.

/hijack

Always cook in the pot for me, as I'm not into ingesting chemicals leeched from hot plastic. My Ti pot never retains taste after cleaning with just water or sand. Interestingly, I've found that the slightly larger Ti pot I need to use often winds up adding less weight than a trip's set of freezer bags.

Edit: I use a 900ml Evernew pot
    Last edited by Zalman; 04-12-2019 at 12:39.

I do both. If i'm eating oatmeal that gets done in a FB. As some have already stated some meals come out better in pot. I use mostly Knorrs pasta and rice sides. Someone asked what size pot to use. I use a Imusa 10cm mug (650ml) and in that pot I cook I bag of Knorrs rice, 4.5oz of chicken & 1/2 of shredded cheddar cheese, using 12oz's of water. I use a DIY fancy feast stove

I cook and eat out of my pot or bowl.

That way I don't have to throw away all those bags.

It's way nicer eating out of a pot or bowl than a bag.

I hate doing dishes, and I don't do dishes. I just eat all my food, do a moderate job of scraping out my pot, and the next boiling water disinfects my "dirty" pot better than "clean" dishes at home.

I don't like to eat out of the bag.Don't like cleaning the pot or doing a half job cleaning it when water is scarce and then having pasta/oatmeal/coffee the next morning either.So after reading this thread my next trip will test out cooking in an Imusa 12 and heating water only in the Imusa 10 which nests quite nicely in the 12cm pot.Yeah,weighs a bit more but a freezer bag weighs .4 oz. After doing the math the penalty is not too severe;especially on a multi day trip.

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    Acronyms are one of those words I thought I knew the meaning of, but after looking it up I learned that initials can be an acronym, but an acronym is pronounced like a word. NASA is an acronym because it's pronounced like a word, whereas FBI or FBC are not, since they are not pronounced like a word.

/hijack
    Nothing to do with the OP but it has come up a couple of times in this thread (and others). Those of us of an age were taught that an acronym is a "word" made up of the first letters of a multi word decription - such as "scuba", "radar", "awol", "NATO", etc. and pronounced as a word. However, over the years, the definition now also includes "abbreviations" that have become so commonly used that become their own "word" - such as "ATM", "HIV", "IRA", "IOU", "FBI", etc. Be safe out there and HYOH.

Quote Originally Posted by Shae View Post
    Nothing to do with the OP but it has come up a couple of times in this thread (and others). Those of us of an age were taught that an acronym is a "word" made up of the first letters of a multi word decription - such as "scuba", "radar", "awol", "NATO", etc. and pronounced as a word. However, over the years, the definition now also includes "abbreviations" that have become so commonly used that become their own "word" - such as "ATM", "HIV", "IRA", "IOU", "FBI", etc. Be safe out there and HYOH.

From Miriam Webster:

Acronym is a fairly recent word, dating from the 1940s, although acronyms existed long before we gave them that name. The term was preceded in English by the word initialism, meaning an abbreviation formed from the initial letters of a phrase, and which has been in use since the late 19th century.

Some people feel strongly that acronym should only be used for terms like NATO, which is pronounced as a single word, and that initialism should be used if the individual letters are all pronounced distinctly, as with FBI. Our research shows that acronym is commonly used to refer to both types of abbreviations.

Images

I cook and eat out of my 1.3L TI pot. I use an alcohol stove unless fire restrictions require me to use my Pocket Rocket. My meals generally include a Knorr side or Mac n Cheese. I find adding a little extra water to the Knorr sides prevents burning. If the meal is too soupy, I'll use some Idahoan potatoes to thicken it. After eating, I pour a little cold water into the pot and use the spoon and my index finger to loosen the bits that are left behind, drinking the water and bits. Then I boil water for tea which also sterilizes the pot. To each his own, but this works well for me.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shae View Post

From Miriam Webster:

Acronym is a fairly recent word, dating from the 1940s, although acronyms existed long before we gave them that name. The term was preceded in English by the word initialism, meaning an abbreviation formed from the initial letters of a phrase, and which has been in use since the late 19th century.

Some people feel strongly that acronym should only be used for terms like NATO, which is pronounced as a single word, and that initialism should be used if the individual letters are all pronounced distinctly, as with FBI. Our research shows that acronym is commonly used to refer to both types of abbreviations.
    Full exoneration! ?
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Cook in the pot. I don't mind cooking and cleaning the pot. I do mind the dirty bags I throw away because now I have to wash a bag out. I reuse my ziplocks. Four, five, six times, until they wear out. That's how I reduce my plastic bag use. Freezer bag cooking is wasteful.
    ^^^ pretty much how I roll, too. Not much to clean in the pot - I eat it all. Use bulk products when I can so even the baggie use is minimized.

Just a reminder for those concerned about cleaning pots with minimal water availability -- sand and dirt do an outstanding job of easily cleaning just about anything from a cookpot.

Anybody ever used a metal tent stake to scrape a pot with?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++