Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

My daily average on the PCT was very close to what I have done on my AT hikes. I suspect that higher mileage hikers see less of a difference than newer hikers, with the newer hikers finding the physical demands harder on the AT. If the AT is your first hike than it will likely be slower paced.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

The Great Plains Trail isn’t full.
    Yet.
    The CDT and GPT would make a nice Out and Back, Up and Down, Yo-Yo Project.
    Hike Where THEY Ain’t!
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Crossup View Post
    Great info and to me, validation of a plan to do the AT first and even if its years later the PCT as the relative "ease" can cancel some of the age related slow down.
    Better to strike while the iron is hot. Jump on the PCT first, there's no comparison between the two trails when it comes to natural beauty. The PCT wins hands down.

Images

Just one more data point, my averages were 17.8 MPD on the AT, just shy of 21 on the PCT (but only first 1000-ish miles of PCT). The last 300-ish miles of the AT really dropped my MPD average.

For reference, I'm old, but carry a very light pack and have been doing this for 50+ years and pretty fit.

It's crazy how you can really crank the miles effortlessly on at least the southern PCT vs. most of the AT, though of course there are portions of the PCT, like in the Sierra where the MPD/effort is harder than the "easy" parts of the AT (norther VA, WV, MA, etc).

"10 by 10" was easy on the PCT, even some days "20 by 2". For me, fugedaboudid on the AT doing miles that quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    All reservable permits are gone now for trailheads near whitney as soon as they open. Even the horrible Shepherd pass. Anything to post they put foot on some part of jmt on facebook.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Certainly seems to be the case that most permits are snapped up quickly. A few years ago, it was much easier to secure Inyo permits. The number of Nobo JMTers is increasing. This year I got my Nobo permit from Inyo the minute permits were released for my start date.

Having descended Shepherd pass, I wish good luck to those using it as a workaround! A hell of a way to start a hike!

Yeah, that's why I'm rooting for wolves and grizzlies to be reintroduced into the Sierra.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Just one more data point, my averages were 17.8 MPD on the AT, just shy of 21 on the PCT (but only first 1000-ish miles of PCT). The last 300-ish miles of the AT really dropped my MPD average.

For reference, I'm old, but carry a very light pack and have been doing this for 50+ years and pretty fit.

It's crazy how you can really crank the miles effortlessly on at least the southern PCT vs. most of the AT, though of course there are portions of the PCT, like in the Sierra where the MPD/effort is harder than the "easy" parts of the AT (norther VA, WV, MA, etc).

"10 by 10" was easy on the PCT, even some days "20 by 2". For me, fugedaboudid on the AT doing miles that quickly.
    OP, 10x10 is not a common thing.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    It sure was on my PCT hike last year, at least from Campo to Kennedy (the 1st 700 miles). One reason it's common on the PCT is folks like to start really early on the PCT due to heat.

Ya, 10 x 10 is really common on the PCT.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    It's a West of the Mississippi thing.
    You know. The other half of the USA.
    Cheers!
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Cheers!
    Wayne
    I did 10 by 10 quite few times on AT, even before then.

Of course thats starting early , 4am or such. And it not 30 mi days. More like 25. Often 10 by 10 is guideline for 30 mi day, 10 by 12 is for 20.

People just leaving shelters at 9am, give you incredulous looks when you roll in for breakfast with their "days hike" already done.

If want high mileage day, you can start early, or hike late.
    I greatly prefer early starts in warmer weather. The hour before sunrise is hands down, best hour of the day.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-13-2019 at 17:27.

Images

AT average miles/hiking day at age 61 in 2006: 13.3
    PCT average miles/hiking day at age 63 in 2008: 19.6
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Cheers!
    Wayne
    lol That's heard on the east coast too. What do you think those east TX rain forest denizens know waverthing. Us ta esterners knows sum shart too.

Check out Crunchmaster’s 2019 PCT videos on YouTube. He states the Day and mileage on the closing scene of each video.
    He’s moving right along at a reasonable pace.
    DAY 30. 454.5 miles. Agua Dulce
    Wayne
    Last edited by Venchka; 04-20-2019 at 01:22.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++