WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Vegan Dehydrated Backpacking Food

Hey,

Check my video on making your own vegan dehydrated backpacking food.

IG: https://www.instagram.com/davidbraunlich/

Attempting a 70 day NOBO thru-hike on May 24, 2019.

CT 2018

You're doing basically what I'm doing at home --- although my dryer is pretty darn big.

I'm in my vegan phase again---no beloved Goat Cheese Sob---but it's okay as being a vegan backpacker is easy.

I have about Four Main Cooked Meals I take out on my trips---
    Brown Rice
    Beans
    Oatmeal
    Spaghetti Pasta.

I found the secret to dehydrating cooked brown rice is to put it in a blender and add water and blend thoroughly and then dry. It reconstitutes great in the field.

P1000031-XL.jpg
    Batch of blended brown rice ready for the ziploc.

I mix this rice with whatever beans (sometimes blended too and dried) I'm bringing out.

P1000001-XL.jpg
    Cooked pasta with good spaghetti sauce also dries well and mixes well with brown rice.

Trip 158 003-XL.jpg
    You can't have too many dried tomatoes.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    You're doing basically what I'm doing at home --- although my dryer is pretty darn big.
    The secret to dehydrating is a big dehydrator.
    When drying things that take 24 hrs, you cant keep up with a little one, much less store for future.

Since strawberries are season i been trying to get ahead. Ive bought about $200 of strawberries and dried them. Ive managed to put away 1.5 flats out of that.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    The secret to dehydrating is a big dehydrator.
    When drying things that take 24 hrs, you cant keep up with a little one, much less store for future.

Since strawberries are season i been trying to get ahead. Ive bought about $200 of strawberries and dried them. Ive managed to put away 1.5 flats out of that.
    You're exactly right about a big dehydrator. No offense, but when I see a video on drying and they're using a little white round plastic model . . . well . . . .

I like my 10 tray model---I can dry 20 or 22 days worth of food in about 4-5 days.
    Trip 183 (434)-XL.jpg

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    You're exactly right about a big dehydrator. No offense, but when I see a video on drying and they're using a little white round plastic model . . . well . . . .

I like my 10 tray model---I can dry 20 or 22 days worth of food in about 4-5 days.
    Trip 183 (434)-XL.jpg
    Exactly right.
    When someone shows a little round plastic dehydrator on a website, video, or book, ....they havent done much dehydrating. Same with saying to dipping or spraying lemon juice on apples to prevent browning.....maybe if you do 2 apples...not 20 at time. Every week . If your drying lots of food....no time for that crap. Besides, i like the golden look. And especially families will eat dried food faster than you can cut prepare and dry it. When my kids are home, cant keep up with pineapple apple, strawberries. Can barely stay ahead with just me and wife when drying on weekend only. It takes so much time....have to do large batches or youll be doing it every day. Laid out with gaps between everything?.....no thanks. Overlap it, cram as much in as possible, they wont be overlapping after shrink up.
    IMG_20190413_180022125.jpg
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-13-2019 at 19:30.

++ New Posts ++