WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Don't beat it, just read it.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Marta
    Sorry if I seem to jump to conclusions, Frosty, but there are more than a few people in Charlotte who attempt to make every interaction a confrontation between good (them) and evil (everyone who doesn't believe exactly what they believe). Just this morning, while I was collecting the mail at the P.O., I noticed a pickup truck for a company that builds residential decks. However, much larger than the company name, was the quotation "And God so loved the world..." And this is someone who builds decks. I am instantly suspicious of, and hostile to, missionaries. Missionaries who are taking a holiday to hike the AT are one thing; missionaries who are combing the AT for lost souls...it gets my hackles up.
    I understand fully. It's such a hot button with so many people, me included. There are so many good people out there, but the ones who make the biggest impression are those who behave "holier than thou" or just push religion at you incessantly or have a super grasp of the "rules" of a given religion but no concept of spirituality.

I am as bad as the next person at jumping to stereotypes and conclusions. Probably the only reason I'm not this time is that I personally met Craig and Suzy.

A good reminder to me not to judge individuals with a group brush. I remember being annoyed at those two trolls who were ridiculing southerners in thread after thread, but what did I think? I looked at where they were from and said, "Typical New Yorkers."

Ah, well. The first step in getting better is recognizing one has a problem, eh?
    Frosty

:banana Yikes

American religion (sometimes confused with Christianity) is a force in American pop culture.

John 3:16 signs in the end zone on TV.

Billboards quoting God.

Preachy bumper stickers.

Motorcycle gangs for Jesus.

Deck-builders for God's Love.

Hikers serving hikers on the AT for Christ. Yikes .

Hypocrisy is not "souly" owned by born agains.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovo
    American religion (sometimes confused with Christianity) is a force in American pop culture.

John 3:16 signs in the end zone on TV.

Billboards quoting God.

Preachy bumper stickers.

Motorcycle gangs for Jesus.

Deck-builders for God's Love.

Hikers serving hikers on the AT for Christ. Yikes .

Hypocrisy is not "souly" owned by born agains.
    And to add to your list: baseball players who point to the sky everytime they get a base hit (It used to be only after homeruns but now it seems like every hit). I don't watch football - do players point to the heavens or say a prayer after every touchdown or sack (or other plays)?

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker
    And to add to your list: baseball players who point to the sky everytime they get a base hit (It used to be only after homeruns but now it seems like every hit). I don't watch football - do players point to the heavens or say a prayer after every touchdown or sack (or other plays)?
    And who are you(or anyone for that matter) to question when, how and how often an individual chooses to express thanks to their God? Granted, some probably do it for show, some are genuine but that's there business, not ours. It's not harming anyone.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by freefall
    And who are you(or anyone for that matter) to question when, how and how often an individual chooses to express thanks to their God? Granted, some probably do it for show, some are genuine but that's there business, not ours. It's not harming anyone.
    What's weird about it is that it makes no sense. Thanking God for a home run implies that God wanted the other team to get scored against, that they're somehow less deserving of God's favor. So to me it seems as if it is harming someone; that the person giving thanks is thanking God for harming his opponent.

But I wandered far off the subject of hiking and will not continue to comment on this subject. Sorry for allowing myself to be drawn into it.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Long Trail '04
    Images

I agree with an earlier post, there is a huge disconnect between the stereotypical idea of western religion/Christianity and those who have had their lives transformed by Christ. I would urge anyone who has questions to look intently into the Bible. Try reading the Gospel of John.

"He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" -- Jim Elliot, missionary martyr who lost his life in the late 1950's trying to reach the Auca Indians of Ecuador. Jim Elliot's son now treats one of the Auca as his Grandfather. This Auca was among the party that killed his dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Marta
    What's weird about it is that it makes no sense. Thanking God for a home run implies that God wanted the other team to get scored against, that they're somehow less deserving of God's favor. So to me it seems as if it is harming someone; that the person giving thanks is thanking God for harming his opponent.

But I wandered far off the subject of hiking and will not continue to comment on this subject. Sorry for allowing myself to be drawn into it.
    TO see "getting scored against" as harmful is ridiculous. It's just a friggin' game. As a former football and rugby player, I was thankful for my ability to perform in the game. When we lost, yeah it sucked, but we didn't feel harmed. And I really doubt any God would really care who won or lost a sporting event.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by napster
    I Love Yeshua and His Freaks...Excellent !!! Rock On !!!

Jew for Jesus?

No, actually Yeshua was "Jesus'" real name. There is no word "Jesus" in the Hebrew language. Joshua, the man who took over Moses' ministry after his death had the same name. Both Yeshuas led God's people to the "Promised Land"- the first one, physically, the second, spiritually.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Shalom Tinker

On the 25-year Installment Plan dperry's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by freefall
    And I really doubt any God would really care who won or lost a sporting event.
    Actually, He does. He just doesn't care about it for the same reasons you and I do.

"Are not two sparrows sold for a copper coin? And not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father’s will. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered." (Matthew 10:29-30)

". . .the Divine Providence has no regard for that which passes away shortly, and terminates with a man's life in the world, but that it has respect to that which endures to eternity, and which, consequently has no end. " (Emanuel Swedenborg, The New Jerusalem and its Heavenly Doctrine, 269.)
    David Perry
    79.1 down, 2,101.9 to go.

Images

Pop Christianity is the scurge of American churches. It's even infiltrated my Catholic parish. Ah, but there is a Tridentine Latin Mass only 30 minutes away that it hasn't touched.

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

God is dead. I am the superman.
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Looks like they have a good thing going to us.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

I figure for the amount of people Craig and Suzy "minister" to with trail magic, contributors are getting there money's worth. My church has 600 members and 7 on the payroll. Craig and Suzy are hiking too. They participate in every part of the hiking community. I am a Christian but am ashamed of what today's culture has done to the church. Is trail angeling my ministry? Honestly, I might do it if I were not a Christian. I preach to no one but share my beliefs when asked. Why is it so popular to bash Christians? Probably it's too easy, right?

Images

I enjoy talking about religion and beliefs, as well as most anything else, as long as the word "I" is used a lot. As in, "I" belive such and such because of... Once the other folks start using phrases like" you should" or "you must" or "you have to" then all the enjoyment goes out of the conversation.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    Why is it so popular to bash Christians? Probably it's too easy, right?
    ready for martyrdom, are we? People bash rude and obnoxious behavior. It doesn't matter is someone is selling a car or a religion, if they are obnoxious and pushy about it, people are not gong to like it and will talk about it.

The "bashing" isn't because the rude person is a Christian, it is because they were rude. There are rude Christians, you know. And rude Baptists, Democrats, Republicans, and computer programmers.

Admittedly, if enough Christians, or used car salesmen, or republicans, or whatever group, has a large percentage of rude people, or pushy people, they will be perceived as a group to be that way.

That's where the danger lies, and what is happening some places. Some experience a rude Christian, and attribute it to all Christians, and some hear a negative comment and attribute that attitude toward all non-Christians.

Live as an example for others. Let people see the way you think life is to be lived. If someone asks, talk to them. If they like what you have, they may try the same. But you can't harrangue anyone but a fool into believing.

Not sure why I'me even posting here. I think Marta is smarter than I am. I'll leave now....
    Frosty

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    I understand fully. It's such a hot button with so many people, me included. There are so many good people out there, but the ones who make the biggest impression are those who behave "holier than thou" or just push religion at you incessantly or have a super grasp of the "rules" of a given religion but no concept of spirituality.

I am as bad as the next person at jumping to stereotypes and conclusions. Probably the only reason I'm not this time is that I personally met Craig and Suzy.

A good reminder to me not to judge individuals with a group brush. I remember being annoyed at those two trolls who were ridiculing southerners in thread after thread, but what did I think? I looked at where they were from and said, "Typical New Yorkers."

Ah, well. The first step in getting better is recognizing one has a problem, eh?
    Glad to see your on the road to recovery, Frosty. Nice to know that all my work didn't go to waste.

In regards to preachers, most approach you with the word, but are easily put off by saying ' not interested'. I haven't yet met one that was too pushy or wouldn't take no for an answer. I say let'm preach, they might reach someone in need some day.
    Throwing pearls to swine.

Default "A man convinced against his will,

is of the same opinion, still."

The old adage applies equally to all walks of life.

I was fooled by a cult for a number of years into thinking that I was a good "Christian".

They used the Bible to do it.

I still felt that something was missing, so I kept searching, still using the Bible.

The most eye opening thing that I saw (was shown, actually), is that the New Testament is not at odds in any way to the Old, and that The Lord is most impressed with those who are humble, (will listen to others, even when they think they know the answer).

Christianity is an extension of Judaism. The promise given to Abraham, to inherit the "Promised Land" is the same promise to Christians.

According to the Bible, those who love God will be in the eternal perfect Kingdom of Messiah, not those who do all the right things for fear of ending up in the lake of fire - that's still selfish motivation.

If, for eternity, we'll be faced every day with our God, we'd better make sure we enjoy His company now, or we certainly won't be getting it on "the other side".

God wants people to know Him, unfortunately, He doesn't have many qualified spokespeople, they're too busy altering the message for their own profit.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++