WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Hiker BEWARE of scammer at 19E (TN)

I just did a section hike between Iron Mtn Gap and 19E. There is a guy waiting for folks at 19e who pretends to be the folks from Mtn Harbour Inn. Hikers come off the trail asking if he is the guy with the "famous breakfast for $12" and he says yes, but instead of taking them to Mtn Harbour, he takes them to his hostel Station 19e where he doesn't have a license to cook homemade food, so he serves cold cereal, bagels and bananas for $10. He also illegally cut a blue blaze off the AT and named it Brew Blaze that leads to his place. NOT COOL. This guy moved to the area 3 years ago after leaving a career as a used car dealer in New Mexico to scam hikers here in TN. He is poaching from a family run business that has given their blood sweat and tears to AT hikers for over 16 years. Please don't reward this sort of behavior by giving them your money!

That does sound pretty shady. In such a small town what is this guy thinking?

Journal Entries

If your dumb enough to jump in back of a strangers truck, you might deserve what you get.

Mtn harbor is literally 200' from trail. No one should be confused or expect a ride to there, or a concierge to meet them at trailhead. How do some people get that far....
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-18-2019 at 20:44.

Or I mean this place https://thestationat19e.com/

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post

Not sure but caveat emptor seems likely here.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    If your dumb enough to jump in back of a strangers truck, you might deserve what you get...
    So you’re a fool if you (unwittingly) accept this guy’s (shady) kindness yet hikers are regularly encouraged to hitchhike into town?

Serious question from someone who has never hitchhiked.

seems like it would be wise to know the name of the hostel you're looking for, rather than a subjective/vague descriptor like "famous breakfast for $12". I don't condone any sketchy re-blazing (if that's true) but a story from thetrek.co (in google cache, no longer up) left me with the impression that he's just outworking people. A harder sell than would make me comfortable but some people respond to it, and if he's not actually saying he's from Mtn Harbour Inn, well, ....

chknfngrs, I agree, caveat emptor, and you may have noticed, those two sites appear related. Similar web design, both godaddy sites, with links to each other's websites.

If he really cut a trail from his business to the AT then more power to him. That’s a good bit of distance to randomly chop on a crazy ash mission. And the guy has beer but no license to cook?!?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyslayer View Post
    So you’re a fool if you (unwittingly) accept this guy’s (shady) kindness yet hikers are regularly encouraged to hitchhike into town?

Serious question from someone who has never hitchhiked.
    First, you should know where you are, and where want to go to.Mountain harbour is 200' from trail, they arent sending a driver to pick people up. Every guide tells you exactly where they are. Reach road, look left. Bingo.

So it would seem our protagonist had no clue, asked a vague question to a stranger at a trailhead got a "yeah" answer, and got in a vehicle.

I have doubts the hostel owner misrepresented himself based on what was posted. Scamming....doesnt seem like it. Sounds more like someone wants to blame others for their mistake.

Doesnt seem like a good business plan to locate where an existing popular hostel is basically on trail. Unless promoting a different looser atmosphere.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-19-2019 at 08:01.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyslayer View Post
    So you’re a fool if you (unwittingly) accept this guy’s (shady) kindness yet hikers are regularly encouraged to hitchhike into town? Serious question from someone who has never hitchhiked.
    I agree, not being comfortable with, or trying hitch hiking for the first time can be nerve wracking. One thing that may help is to ensure you have a good updated guide book. These provide very good place descriptions, phone numbers etc for hostels, hotels, shuttle services, food locations. Use these as a means of making your selections and becoming as well informed as possible. And, steel yourself to the fact that there may be locations where no shuttles are available and hitchhiking may be the only option.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

I have used both Mountain Harbour and Station at 19E/Doe River for shuttles, but never stayed with either or been there during peak season. I have heard lots of stories about the "creative" marketing techniques of Doe River, such as sitting at the trail crossing telling hikers MH had closed down, and other lies to get hikers to go with him to his hostel/bar. When I shuttled with him, I got a different story about occupation and where he was from. Not saying it is a lie, but the story seems to change. He is certainly a smooth talker and comes across as a friendly, likable guy.

Mountain Harbour was overall just as friendly and accommodating, but in a much more genuine and caring manner. Shannon, the manager, was very nice and worked with me on a shuttle when a new piece of gear failed on me and I needed to make a sudden change in my plan. No issues, immediately refunded the difference in shuttle prices, and waived the parking fee which I would have gladly paid regardless.

The sketchy blue blaze definitely exists, you can tell it is not a real trail and is poorly done.

After being inside both, I certainly see why many thru hikers prefer Doe River over Mountain Harbour, with the bar being right below the hostel. The owner does everything "right" for the typical thru hiker. One one hand, competition is good for the hikers, and creating a better "product" is the natural course of business. On the other, the tactics used to advertise and outright lie show the true character of the owner.

As a final thought, from personal experience, many thru hikers are not well informed about each trail crossing and the businesses there. Most information is shared from the few that actually read the guidebooks or know from experience the area. I find it perfectly understandable that some thru hikers are coming to the road and have only heard about the breakfast, but not the other details of where it actually is. Not saying anything other than that is what I have seen from personal experience on the trail in the bubble.

Images

Mtn harbor is literally 200' from trail

its a touch more than 200 feet from the trail........

but, it is extremely close and no shuttle is really needed....

Battles between trail service providers have sprung up in the past and expect they will spring up in the future. Ultimately its a he said/she said situation. In theory the various guidebook editors vet the service providers they list but I question how much time they can spend checking out each provider. The Uncle Johnny's Miss Janet battle went on for years.

Who won?.....

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post

Yeah, probably more like 250 yds imo, and you need to walk out the curve partway to see it. Even farther to their drive which is on the far end. They used to claim some ridiculously short distance at one time. Possibly to the edge of their property or something.

The point is, no shuttles needed and you shouldn't expect one. But you should have some idea of where you want to go is located. I know that some people don't. And honestly that's their own fault.

and occasionally in years past there has been creepy people hanging out at trailheads offering rides. You should probably be more suspicious of that than of accepting rides while hitching.

I know theyve added lots of stuff in recent years, food trailer, store, etc. $12 for breakfast....wow...i think i paid $5 back when. It was a nice spread, but not enough seating room, i ate standing up. And honestly, i wouldnt say i was able to eat my fill of what I wanted...which was bacon, eggs, etc. Tons of other stuff though
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-19-2019 at 10:11.

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post

0.3 mile...........

Having just walked this last October, I did a quick look-up on Google Maps which shows a walk of about 1800 ft on 19E from where the AT crosses 19E and to the entrance of the driveway to Mountain Harbour. As others have noted, you can see the buildings earlier.

Enjoyed staying at Mountain Harbour and a big shout out to Shannon and staff for a great breakfast... can understand why the person posting was disappointed that they missed it.

no.. the shady hostel is called station 19 and the good hostel is Mountain Harbour inn

sorry chngngrs..but it is not got to blaze a trail in a national forest. it is illegal and comes with up to a $5000 fine per tree

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++