WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Help planning hike

Hello,

If I plan to hike the BMT, are reservations required for campsites?

Images

only in the Smokys portion...........

Are you planning a BMT thru hike or section hike?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    only in the Smokys portion...........
    I assume along the bulk of the BMT you can camp anywhere you find a good camping spot (true/false?).
    But in GSMNP you not only need a reservation (via a permit you pay for), you're also limited to camping at the designated camp sites.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I assume along the bulk of the BMT you can camp anywhere you find a good camping spot (true/false?).
    But in GSMNP you not only need a reservation (via a permit you pay for), you're also limited to camping at the designated camp sites.
    Basically. Parts of the trail cross private land and meander through neighborhoods where no camping is allowed.

...and of course, the BMTA requests hikers to practice Leave No Trace and camp at existing sites.

As others have suggested, campsite reservations are only require within GSMNP on the BMT.

Also worth noting that the BMT sites in GSMNP are in far less demand than those along the AT. Depending on the time of year, you may have them all to yourself.

Images

as Traffic Jam notes---yeah....pretty much basically anywhere.....

i've only done chunks of the BMT, but there's plenty of good sites within a day's hike....

Thank you!

I don't know about basically anywhere - that never works out. But looking through my old St Rock BMT guide, there are enough established campsites scattered along the trail to accomidate most any pace. There is (or was) a long section on private land where camping is restricted, so you need to be aware of that possibility.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I don't know about basically anywhere - that never works out. But looking through my old St Rock BMT guide, there are enough established campsites scattered along the trail to accomidate most any pace. There is (or was) a long section on private land where camping is restricted, so you need to be aware of that possibility.
    Exactly. Only once did I have to stealth camp due to exhaustion. The no-camping zones are easy to plan around.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    There is a shelter built in that section as well, in case you can't make it past.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Starting from Big Creek, I am looking at the map and I see only site 38 about 6 miles in and the next site as site 47 which is about 15 miles or so away. Is there nowhere between the two to spend the night?

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by TSWisla View Post
    Starting from Big Creek, I am looking at the map and I see only site 38 about 6 miles in and the next site as site 47 which is about 15 miles or so away. Is there nowhere between the two to spend the night?
    Laurel Gap Shelter is at mile 12 going SOBO.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

++ New Posts ++