WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Info for section hike: Springer to Thunder Rock

Anyone have any information for this section? I’ll be starting this section hike in a few short weeks and it’s my first time hiking on the BMT or in GA. Im thinking I’ll do a cache at US 76 about 50 miles in. I’m really looking forward to the solitude I’ve been hearing about! Sounds like my kind of trail. Any tough trail conditions to watch out for, or any awesome campsites I should plan around? Thanks y’all-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leonidas

PlugItIn on Youtube is putting up videos about his recent thru hike. About mile 38, you pass the Iron Bridge Restaurant, I think they accept mail drops if you wanted to that rather than a cache. Guthooks has an app with various info as well if you are an app type of person.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Thanks, yeah I’ve asked him a few questions on that section. Pretty nice guy. Looked like he smoked it those first few days.
    I’m a big fan of Guthooks too! Been studying that section for a while now. Thank you!

Get Sgt Rocks guide if you haven’t already. There’s a fair amount of road walking in GA. Be vigilant when entering and exiting the woods. I hiked it sobo and had a little trouble in a few spots.

Are you stopping for a hotel night anywhere? If so, stop and resupply in Blue Ridge. It’s a road walk into town though.

Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Get Sgt Rocks guide if you haven’t already. There’s a fair amount of road walking in GA. Be vigilant when entering and exiting the woods. I hiked it sobo and had a little trouble in a few spots.

Are you stopping for a hotel night anywhere? If so, stop and resupply in Blue Ridge. It’s a road walk into town though.

Have fun.
    Thanks! What trouble did you have? I’ve heard the dogs on the roads are on steroids.

Quote Originally Posted by andymc View Post
    Thanks! What trouble did you have? I’ve heard the dogs on the roads are on steroids.

I had trouble hiking through the Cherry Log community. Going sobo, some of the signs weren’t visible and there was an old, faded blaze on a tree that took me on the wrong path. Had I been hiking nobo, it would not have been a problem. It took me several hours to make it through there, but I’m not the best navigator and likely most people will say it’s easy.

Another problem spot for me was coming off the trail at Fall Branch Falls. My directions described “a bridge over Falls Branch” and there wasn’t one which threw me so I wandered around for a while. I expected a bridge as soon as I came off the trail. (This was the beginning of the road walk to Shallowford Bridge.)

Caveat...I camped very close to the road near the Falls. It freaked me out so I had a sleepless night and maybe that contributed to my difficulty the next morning(?).

I had a confusing time going thru there too.I was a couple weeks ahead of you.

Quote Originally Posted by bamadog View Post
    I had a confusing time going thru there too.I was a couple weeks ahead of you.
    Good to know it wasn’t just me.

I hiked most of the BMT SOBO and believe it’s a totally different experience for the sobo’er. Very challenging.

++ New Posts ++