WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Training? Hike. Not much else needed!
    Like training for a 10k or half marathon, just loops around town. Or in my case "training" takes place switching between road walking and jumping through state parks/open spaces to create my daily distances, ended at a secluded site just outside town. Of course, carrying a simulated multiday pack weight.

Great information! I really like the confirmed "safe" parking. Thanks!
    If its as boring as suggested, the east side that is, then starting through there is not only wise to acclimate, but also to walk the boring stuff while still stoked on just getting out there. Although, I am still not over any amount of mountain/valley views. Cresting certain hills at night while driving, looking over the town in the valley all lit up, stuff like that is still really enjoyable for me. Florida is pretty flat, so it's all a change.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Thanks for sharing the photo MW.
    You can’t beat high alpine lakes with snow for a background!
    Wayne
    I agree, BOTH his pics have been GREAT.

Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    Train yourself to drink more water than you feel like you need. That's my takeaway after having a much better experience prioritizing hydration vs. not. I live at ~700' and had no issues at >12k' on my second visit to the Weminuche Wilderness. Sharp contrast to the previous trip, where I had headaches for several days, and was a slug on the climbs the entire week.
    I'll be doing that loop in mid-September next year. Colors oughta be great around then. Coming from out of state, I would not come earlier(or later) than September. If I lived in CO, though...shoot, yeah, I'd be out there all summer. Season's too short to skip opportunities in a place with so much beauty, IMO.

Carrying a bag rated below the lowest temps in the history of weather recording for the area in that time frame is definitely not my cup of tea. It's not necessarily "bad", either, just depends. Take a glance at what's normal, and see how that relates to you, personally.
    One of my good friends is a very cold sleeper, while I sleep outrageously warm. If we traded sleep systems, we would both be miserable. The advice you've gotten here would probably suit him quite well. But I got hot under a 30F quilt wearing boxer briefs and a t-shirt while he was comfy wearing a down hoody in a 20F bag on the coldest night of our trip at ~12k' in CO last September.
    Our conversations related to this matter were not some of the deeper ones had during that week:
    "What do you mean, you're SWEATING?!?"
    "How can you not be with all that crap on?!?"
    We're all different...
    Extra hydration to combat the possible elevation sickness, good plan to follow through with. I'll definitely need to pay attention to drinking more water in general. Good point

I think the point to carrying a bag below the historic temps is due to bags being rated for survival, not general comfort zones. Reason being is found within your anecdote at the bottom of your post.

Bag/quilt wise, I think ill need atleast a 20, which I have found comfortable all the way to the 50s, so a pretty broad range. I havent used it in the low 30s, or colder, so I am unsure how ill do through that.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BackToTheFrontier View Post
    Extra hydration to combat the possible elevation sickness, good plan to follow through with. I'll definitely need to pay attention to drinking more water in general. Good point

I think the point to carrying a bag below the historic temps is due to bags being rated for survival, not general comfort zones. Reason being is found within your anecdote at the bottom of your post.

Bag/quilt wise, I think ill need atleast a 20, which I have found comfortable all the way to the 50s, so a pretty broad range. I havent used it in the low 30s, or colder, so I am unsure how ill do through that.

I prefer a little overkill in bags.
    Not because they're not rated accurately.
    But because it's my refuge, and being cold just plain sucks.
    When you get really chilled by a cold rain, or cold wind, your body quits making as much heat to extremities. The heavier bag the quicker you warm up. When you're really cold and shivery (is that a word?), It's a wonderful feeling to finally fall asleep and wake up an hour and a half later toasty warm. It might be one of the best feelings in the world.

Images

Extra hydration to combat the possible elevation sickness, good plan to follow through with. I'll definitely need to pay attention to drinking more water in general. Good point.
    Yep, Owen made a good point about the importance of hydration, but have a care about over hydration. "Extra" hydration does nothing for acclimation, assuming you're sufficiently hydrated. Extra hydration is annoying in the least (extra water stops, carrying extra water weight, losing sleep by having to pee in the night, etc) and downright dangerous in the worst case. Google up "hyponatremia" sometime. I've had it. It can be very dangerous. Please, don't over-hydrate. Use your pee as a guide; if it's fairly clear, about the color of Champagne, you are drinking enough. If it gets darker, drink a bit more. Simple as that.

Images

Here's another loop for you which has the advantage of being easily able to cut short, although you'll have to wait for the snow to clear (probably July this year) before doing it. Park you car north of Breckenridge at the Gold Hill TH and head W uphill on the CT/CDT over toward Copper Mountain (bail out point #1 via Summit Stage free bus). Continue from Copper on the CDT alternate that goes over Uneva and Eckert Passes then go on down thru Silverthorne (Bail out point #2 also via Summit Stage). From Silverthorne follow the road up and East then trail over Ptarmigan Pass (still on CDT alternate) to Jones Pass. At Jones Pass follow main CDT South crossing I-70 checking out Greys and Torreys (14ers) to Georgia Pass then down back to Gold Hill TH.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Hyponatremia, thats an interesting situation. I think I'll have more problems with keeping adequatly hydrated, than that severly overhydrated! Great to know thats a thing. Whod have thought!

I guess its nice to have an exit strategy, or be able to cut miles off some of these hikes but that really isnt part of the idea here. I'll checkout that loop too though.

Has this information been mentioned?
    https://pmags.com/collegiate-loop-20...-the-walk-went

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Has this information been mentioned?
    https://pmags.com/collegiate-loop-20...-the-walk-went

Wayne
    Nice, I'll read that in-depth later tonight. I see he has a Tahoe Rim Trail post too, im very interested in that one too. Thanks for posting, I hadnt seen "Pmags," yet

You’re welcome!
    Add Paul’s Great Divide Trail report to your reading list.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Its just a hike .
    And honestly, theres not much reason to hike the CT east anymore.
    Unless use it to access 14ers . Your time would be better spent stringing out a longer hike that spends more time above treeline..like Frisco-Salida.

Good bus service near front range in CO will get you back to car. For cheap. If need car at all.
    Totally agree w MW....east was rather boring in my opinion....West was incredible...having only hiked in Co twice once being mid September and other early July I’d much rather go in September...flying in from sea level the day before wasn’t an issue for me, yea everyone is different...July you get heat and rain vs September cool and snow potential...pick what floats your boat... sept vs july

TRT was nice but sure as hell wouldn’t want to do it during the summer with a few long water carries...living in Co I would hike local!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Totally agree w MW....east was rather boring in my opinion....West was incredible...having only hiked in Co twice once being mid September and other early July I’d much rather go in September...flying in from sea level the day before wasn’t an issue for me, yea everyone is different...July you get heat and rain vs September cool and snow potential...pick what floats your boat... sept vs july

TRT was nice but sure as hell wouldn’t want to do it during the summer with a few long water carries...living in Co I would hike local!!

Wow, great pics, and both the fall colors of september look great and the july mountains with alittle snow look great! Both would be an experience for me!

The TRT definitely seems like a late summer hike too. With the thick snowfields at that elevation. Would be a great day to hike up and look down to watch the July 4th fireworks on the southside of the lake. Unfortunately, conditions dont favor for that.

TRT = Full time bear canister.
    Another one bites the dust.
    Wayne

Wayne
    Gotta get into that sort of territory someday in this hobby...
    Not anyones favorite thing to do, but thats the reality of what's infront of me for some hikes

Wayne
    No ****...when did this go into effect?

Wow, great pics, and both the fall colors of september look great and the july mountains with alittle snow look great! Both would be an experience for me!

The TRT definitely seems like a late summer hike too. With the thick snowfields at that elevation. Would be a great day to hike up and look down to watch the July 4th fireworks on the southside of the lake. Unfortunately, conditions dont favor for that.

I definitely wouldn’t want to do TRT in summer. It was hotter than I prefer in early oct! Hot dry with lil water add mosquitoes..really only spectacular section was the desolation wilderness section and I did most of it at night....yea my timing sucks!

Journal Entries

https://coloradotrail.org/snowpack-2...0nSEtwJYFOvjFk

Seems about 2 weeks behind normal predicted.

I been considerin cdt north from chama or ghost ranch to silverton in early sept. Or south. Transportations a breeze with the trains at chama and durango and NM public transportation.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-08-2019 at 08:32.

No ****...when did this go into effect?
    I read it on the TRTA web page a month or two ago.
    I read it twice. To make sure that I wasn’t hallucinating.

BackToTheFrontier:
    After you hike all of the Non-Bear Can trails in North America and you can still hike, go jump on the BearCanRequired trails. If you can get a permit.
    Wayne

Glad I did it before that took effect!

Journal Entries

Glad I did it before that took effect!

Bear cannisters need luv too.
    Im thinking to take mine for a walk in early august.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++