WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Is it possible that the hikers he attacked are the same ones he threatened previously?
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    Is it possible that the hikers he attacked are the same ones he threatened previously?
    reports Ive seen said there was an incident in Unicoi where he threatened "other hikers" so probably not although I guess its always possible he bussed north and went southbound and caught up with them again but I doubt it.

How sordid!!

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post

Images

Is it raining yet?
    Images

An interesting discussion would be what role the ATC could play in the future ? Could the ATC help thru hikers travel back for court and pay their way back to the trail so as to minimize the inconvenience and spread the cost to the AT community at large? Although violence on the AT is rare, it does seem to occur every several years and it detracts from the image of the trail and of outdoor recreation generally.
    Be Prepared

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    An interesting discussion would be what role the ATC could play in the future ? Could the ATC help thru hikers travel back for court and pay their way back to the trail so as to minimize the inconvenience and spread the cost to the AT community at large? Although violence on the AT is rare, it does seem to occur every several years and it detracts from the image of the trail and of outdoor recreation generally.

What? These are people on vacation. The ATC shouldn't have anything to do with this.

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    How sordid!!
    I don't understand your response

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    why would the ATC do that? They have no ability or obligation to make sure people hiking it are safe.

TRAIL CLOSURE IN SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA LIFTED
    (5/12/2019) The Saturday closure of the Appalachian Trail from Va. 16 at Mt. Rogers National Recreation Area Headquarters (mile 534.2) trail north to Va. 42 (mile 558.2) near Ceres/Groseclose has been lifted. However, any hikers with information relevant to the assaults that led to the closure are urged to contact the Wythe County Sheriff’s Office, (276) 223-6000. As more information is confirmed by law enforcement, we will post it here and on our social-media outlets.

per ATC:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home.../trail-updates

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SWODaddy View Post

What? These are people on vacation. The ATC shouldn't have anything to do with this.
    Yeah, and getting attacked and then having to spend more time and money because the justice system cares more for accused criminal's rights than they do victims and witnesses really helps their vacation. I would gladly donate a few bucks to a gofundme account to reimburse hikers for their travel and expenses so that they could testify against criminals that perpetrate crimes against hikers on trails. And why shouldn't the ATC be involved? Part of their mission is trail safety.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Yeah, and getting attacked and then having to spend more time and money because the justice system cares more for accused criminal's rights than they do victims and witnesses really helps their vacation. I would gladly donate a few bucks to a gofundme account to reimburse hikers for their travel and expenses so that they could testify against criminals that perpetrate crimes against hikers on trails. And why shouldn't the ATC be involved? Part of their mission is trail safety.
    Well have at it then! Nobody is stopping you. Set something up - but don't expect some bureaucracy to bail you out for your lack of personal responsibility and/or planning.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/about-us/mission-vision-values

where do you see that? last time I was on the trail it was hike at your own risk.

This isn't a case of the justice system caring about accused rights more than victims. They did what they could without witnesses or victims willing to testify at trial. The 6th Amendment is still a thing.

Journal Entries
    Images

I am going to interject in this conversation.
    I have personally been in contact with the deceased hiker’s family and have been informed of some of what actually took place. This is all I will say.
    The deceased hiker was a thru-hiker and had not met the attacker before the intendent. He did not provoke the attacker.

With that said, please keep in mind when posting in this thread that family and loved ones do sometimes come to WhiteBlaze to read the posts here and it is not helping the healing process for the family and loved ones to read some of the speculation and hearsay that gets posted here. The hiker’s family members have read some of this posts here and it has upset them. I don’t think most of you would be happy if you were in there situation.

Please keep this I mind and let’s nip this in the butt now. If it does not stop, I will close or even remove the thread for the web site.

~The Administration~
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

The latest news on this just sucks…I mean it really just broke my heart to read about it. My prayers go out to the victims and families of the victims.

I’ve been following this thread fairly closely since it started, and have stayed out of it thus far due to the back and forth between those who believed this guy was a threat and those who were blowing it off based on the early conflicting news reports. I have personally run into a few individuals in all my time section hiking that made the hair on my neck stand up, and all the stuff I read/saw on this guy did just that.

I agree with those early on who stated that we shouldn’t be quick to judge, but at the same time we also need to stay safe and not be afraid to speak up when something doesn’t seem right. There were reports from actual hikers with firsthand experience (the newspaper report and the Facebook video linked in earlier posts are good examples) that clearly prove this guy was displaying erratic and violent behavior that is way outside of the normal oddball or eccentric personality type that is frequently seen on the AT.

As a place on web where AT hikers congregate, I think this was a good place to help get information out on this guy. So, I just want to thank those who posted information here about this situation when this whole thing started. We obviously don’t want to start a witch hunt, but we also shouldn’t disregard valid concerns that in this case were expressed by multiple individuals.

As to the tragic events that transpired, in my opinion we shouldn’t be commenting on the thrus that had run-ins with this guy and what they should or should not have done. Hindsight is always 20/20, and we won’t know what could have been done differently if anything until more details of what actually happened are available.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Despite the dismissal of this idea by some here the fact is many jurisdictions have "Victim Assistance" and "Victim Compensation" programs.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

What a tragedy...too sad for words. Praying for victims and family.

I just want to understand that the most recent proceedings are new....

CNN is running the story: https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/12/us/ap...ack/index.html

What a hideous turn of events.

Scratch that. My wife just mentioned it, noting it’s in the papers. Someone somewhere didn’t do what they were supposed to do to recognize a problem. I said earlier that it would be messed up if this guy went back out and found the people who he first interacted with that brought this whole thing to light. What a mess!

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++