WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    September is my favorite time to hike the Wonderland. By then the rain has mostly stopped. You will likely see some snow.
    I’m almost afraid to ask but when you say snow how much are you talking about? Enough to need GPS to find the trail or a coating that adds to the views?��

Quote Originally Posted by evyck da fleet View Post
    I’m almost afraid to ask but when you say snow how much are you talking about? Enough to need GPS to find the trail or a coating that adds to the views?��
    It is a heavily used trail. You should have no problem route finding.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by evyck da fleet View Post
    I agree with Feral Bill. The trail is heavily traveled and route finding isn't difficult.

I was on the Wonderland Trail on Sept 11, 2001. It snowed on me a couple of days. The snow showers were fairly intense, but they blew over quickly. The snow added to the experience. It was never a problem.
    Shutterbug

I agree with Feral Bill. The trail is heavily traveled and route finding isn't difficult.

I was on the Wonderland Trail on Sept 11, 2001. It snowed on me a couple of days. The snow showers were fairly intense, but they blew over quickly. The snow added to the experience. It was never a problem.
    Good place to be that day. Better than West Mountain, for sure.

You can check the NPS web site -- https://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvis...conditions.htm

As of 7/5, the site is reporting that the trail is about 70% snow covered from Summerland to 1/4 mile past Indian Bar. That would be about normal for this time of the year.
    Thank you, very helpful. Hopefully we'll get another update soon on that site as it seems conditions can/will change very much thru the weeks in July. There is discussion in our party about bringing crampons, although I'm leaning toward thinking they will be overkill...? Anybody able to point to experience/journals that could give better insight?

Also, we plan to utilize the grill/store at Sunrise Day Lodge. Anybody been there and do they (in addition to short order food) have trail snacks like energy bars, gorp, or whatever to restock for the next day hiking? Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew.d.kirk View Post
    Thank you, very helpful. Hopefully we'll get another update soon on that site as it seems conditions can/will change very much thru the weeks in July. There is discussion in our party about bringing crampons, although I'm leaning toward thinking they will be overkill...? Anybody able to point to experience/journals that could give better insight?

Also, we plan to utilize the grill/store at Sunrise Day Lodge. Anybody been there and do they (in addition to short order food) have trail snacks like energy bars, gorp, or whatever to restock for the next day hiking? Thanks again.
    You would probably be the only ones with crampons. It's not really technical. You can arrange resupply at Sunrise. Mail or drop off. It needs to be in a plastic bucket with a lid, to keep out rodents.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew.d.kirk View Post

Crampons would be "over kill," but I carry YakTrak type traction devices. You will probably use them crossing Pan Handle Gap, but no other place. With hiking poles, you will be ok without traction devices.

Yes, I have been to the Grill/Store at Sunrise. They have short order food and snacks. The only issue is their hours. I don't remember the dates that you are hiking. The Lodge is open 10 am to 7 pm until Sept 9, after that it is open 11 am to 3 pm on Saturday and Sunday until Sept 23.
    Shutterbug

Yes, I have been to the Grill/Store at Sunrise. They have short order food and snacks. The only issue is their hours. I don't remember the dates that you are hiking. The Lodge is open 10 am to 7 pm until Sept 9, after that it is open 11 am to 3 pm on Saturday and Sunday until Sept 23.

Sb, thanks for the info on the snow and that Sunrise Grill won’t be open when I roll through.

Welp, it's official, I'm gonna try for a walk-in! I'm seeing a lot of folks on the FB group having walk-in success during peak season, which mitigated much of my fear of coming away empty handed. My flights are booked and am now working on filling in the rest of the logistics. I booked an airline that allows 1 free carry-on, so I'm gonna carry my food cache with me, then deliver in person to wherever makes the most sense based on my itinerary. Gonna cap my trip with a day hike thru the Enchantments. I also have an Aunt in Seattle I haven't seen since I was a toddler, so I'm gonna drop in and surprise her. Hopefully the weather cooperates (mid-Sept). Looking forward to it!
    It is what it is.

Have fun (you will), and don't skimp on rain gear.

Noted! Thanks Bill!

Images

Thanks for all that info, including the Sunrise grill info Shutterbug.

We hit the trail at Reflection Lake next Monday morning (8/19), going clockwise, finishing the following Monday, resupplying w/ 2 days of food at White River, and planning on one dinner at Sunrise.

I've hike in MRNP 6 times, the general area 3 additional times, all in July or August, but always climbing mountains so all camping was done way above wonderland trail altitudes, in fact, never camped below about 8000 feet up in the PAC NW. So, we never had to deal with bugs...

So, my basic question, how voracious are flying insects in late August at those low Wonderland trail altitudes? Have they dropped off a bit generally from mid-summer levels? Just curious, we'll be carrying head nets and deet in any case. Might carry more deet if the response is that they are horrible even in late August. I realize all years are different....

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Thanks for all that info, including the Sunrise grill info Shutterbug.

We hit the trail at Reflection Lake next Monday morning (8/19), going clockwise, finishing the following Monday, resupplying w/ 2 days of food at White River, and planning on one dinner at Sunrise.

I've hike in MRNP 6 times, the general area 3 additional times, all in July or August, but always climbing mountains so all camping was done way above wonderland trail altitudes, in fact, never camped below about 8000 feet up in the PAC NW. So, we never had to deal with bugs...

So, my basic question, how voracious are flying insects in late August at those low Wonderland trail altitudes? Have they dropped off a bit generally from mid-summer levels? Just curious, we'll be carrying head nets and deet in any case. Might carry more deet if the response is that they are horrible even in late August. I realize all years are different....
    It was a long time ago (2000) when I hiked the WT with my daughter in mid August. Some camps were buggier than others, but none were too bad. Biting flies were more common than mosquitoes. I was happy to have DEET, but felt no need for a headnet.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    It was a long time ago (2000) when I hiked the WT with my daughter in mid August. Some camps were buggier than others, but none were too bad. Biting flies were more common than mosquitoes. I was happy to have DEET, but felt no need for a headnet.
    If and when I get to do WT, I'm hoping what worked on the JMT will work on WT.

I don't like using DEET because I don't want to have to wash it off and I don't want the stuff to get in my tent and sleeping bag.
    I found that as long as you were moving, the bugs generally were not a problem.
    I also took along a set of Bugs-a-way clothing (long sleeve shirt, long pants, and bug net). Any time I stopped, I simply pull the bug cloths on over my shorts/shirt and they did great at keeping the mosquitoes and flies from bothering me. The head net was only needed a couple of times (but when it was needed, I was glad I had it).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++