WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Wonderland Permits

Anybody else on here apply for the 2019 season and heard back yet? I'm anxiously waiting....

It's already been a week longer than last year's rejection, so that's either a good sign or they just got that many more apps to go through...probably the latter.
    It is what it is.

If you are able to be flexible (including the needed fitness), you can get a walk up permit. If you are traveling, it's a complication but should work. Expect days of varying length, maybe an off trail camp or two, and the need to drop your food caches in person. Have fun.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I seriously contemplated a walkup last year, but the thought of a disjointed trip and worst case no trip at all wasn't appealing to me. I figure I'll try a few more times for a traditional route.

Last year's rejection was a blessing in disguise. I ended up in Utah instead, hiked 4 of the National parks, got to do some canyoneering, and did a rim to rim of the Grand Canyon. There's so many other places to see!

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    I seriously contemplated a walkup last year, but the thought of a disjointed trip and worst case no trip at all wasn't appealing to me. I figure I'll try a few more times for a traditional route.

Last year's rejection was a blessing in disguise. I ended up in Utah instead, hiked 4 of the National parks, got to do some canyoneering, and did a rim to rim of the Grand Canyon. There's so many other places to see!
    Check out William O Douglass, Goat Rocks, and Nordic Peak wilderness areas. They are just east of Mount Rainier and have much easier regulations. A section of the PCT runs through, including a short bit in MORA. It's on my list.

Anybody else on here apply for the 2019 season and heard back yet? I'm anxiously waiting....

It's already been a week longer than last year's rejection, so that's either a good sign or they just got that many more apps to go through...probably the latter.
    Still waiting here as well. Several people on the FB group for the WT have gotten approvals, and just as many posting about their denials. Getting closer to the 6 week deadline for when they should be finished processing though...

http://www.postholer.com/ontrail
    2011 H.F.-Duncannon, Katahdin-Rangeley
    2012 Springer-Erwin

ahh, hadn't thought about Facebook. Good luck to you Mega, hope you can snag one!
    It is what it is.

ahh, hadn't thought about Facebook. Good luck to you Mega, hope you can snag one!
    Same luck to you! Just heard that they are a few weeks behind on processing as well... So that’s encouraging to those who haven’t heard anything yet!

2012 Springer-Erwin

Images

A group of four of us did get our permits, though the itinerary was a bit different, but we'll live with it (hike starts on Aug 19th, ends the 26th). Two other groups of friends have NOT heard back yet on theirs.

I've been getting various permits in MRNP for a decade or so, it almost always takes a while. Our permit came early compared to my previous experiences.

Looks like an unofficial no-go for me. Joined that FB group, and a member of the permit staff said that all confirmations have been sent out. At this point I'm just waiting for my rejection letter. Will try again next year...in the meantime so many places to see!

Looks like an unofficial no-go for me. Joined that FB group, and a member of the permit staff said that all confirmations have been sent out. At this point I'm just waiting for my rejection letter. Will try again next year...in the meantime so many places to see!
    Same. Got my denial 2 hours after that fb post. Im thinking of Section J, Snoqualmie Pass to Stevens Pass (or vice versa) of the PCT instead.

2012 Springer-Erwin

Journal Entries

Exactly.
    Theres no shortage of great hikes with few people.
    Some require permits some dont.

Got me a permit for another trip back to the Sierra this summer. Ready for long days, clear skies, and endless sierra views.

So far, just the hassle of wonderland trail has kept me from applying . Charge you just to apply???? Yup

But if heart set on it...and time to spare.....walkup and eventually get something.

What is the permit process based on? Is it just luck of the draw lottery or is there a selection process based on something tangible?

Quote Originally Posted by Megapixel View Post
    Same. Got my denial 2 hours after that fb post. Im thinking of Section J, Snoqualmie Pass to Stevens Pass (or vice versa) of the PCT instead.
    I've done the Wonderland trail and Section J and I would vote for Section J! But it is a "Graduate Level" hike IMO. It gets pretty wild out there. Need good fitness and planning.

Mostly random.
    Quote Originally Posted by DSPeabody View Post
    What is the permit process based on? Is it just luck of the draw lottery or is there a selection process based on something tangible?

I joined the Wonderland FB group. I noticed some folks getting group permits without having anybody lined up ahead of time to fill those spots with them. With how scarce permits are, I don't like the practice. Yes, unused spots can get recycled for walk ups, but it deprives folks those extra opportunities through the already scarce lottery.
    It is what it is.

I joined the Wonderland FB group. I noticed some folks getting group permits without having anybody lined up ahead of time to fill those spots with them. With how scarce permits are, I don't like the practice. Yes, unused spots can get recycled for walk ups, but it deprives folks those extra opportunities through the already scarce lottery.
    I believe groups are issued separately, with group sites at most but not all camps. Leaders such as with youth groups may not know who will be with them ahead of time. If they, or anyone gives up their reservation, walk ups or people wanting changes may use the sites. It seems fair to me. No system would be perfect. If you mean people gaming the system by getting a group site to use for a personal one, they risk being walked out to the nearest trailhead by rangers, which is certainly fair.
    Last edited by Feral Bill; 06-26-2019 at 15:01.

Quote Originally Posted by DSPeabody View Post
    I’d guess mostly luck. I got one just after the six week notification period but it’s for the last week of September, I’m staying at at least one walk in site and I’ve got a couple nine mile days and a couple twenty mile days. It appears I got a permit based on my flexibility to fill the remaining open spots at the larger less popular sites.

Quote Originally Posted by evyck da fleet View Post
    I’d guess mostly luck. I got one just after the six week notification period but it’s for the last week of September, I’m staying at at least one walk in site and I’ve got a couple nine mile days and a couple twenty mile days. It appears I got a permit based on my flexibility to fill the remaining open spots at the larger less popular sites.
    September is my favorite time to hike the Wonderland. By then the rain has mostly stopped. You will likely see some snow.
    Shutterbug

We will be attempting to hike the eastern half of the trail (taking Spray Park alternate) at the very end of this month (July) staying overnight at Sunrise. I know it's a few weeks out, but anybody have info on how the passes are looking as far as snow? Skyscraper? Panhandle?

Quote Originally Posted by matthew.d.kirk View Post
    We will be attempting to hike the eastern half of the trail (taking Spray Park alternate) at the very end of this month (July) staying overnight at Sunrise. I know it's a few weeks out, but anybody have info on how the passes are looking as far as snow? Skyscraper? Panhandle?
    You can check the NPS web site -- https://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvis...conditions.htm

As of 7/5, the site is reporting that the trail is about 70% snow covered from Summerland to 1/4 mile past Indian Bar. That would be about normal for this time of the year.
    Shutterbug

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++