WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hickory Flatts Cemetery water?

I've read conflicting reports about the availability of water here, some saying camel up at Three Forks, others saying there is a sink in the bathroom at the cemetery. Anybody been up that way lately and able to clear that up for me? We are thinking of making that a backup camping spot if we run into bad weather. Thanks!

Stayed there night one of my 2018 Thru Hike. 3/15 Saw no water at the back of cemetery as stated in AWOL. Could have been time of year. There is no sink or running water in the Bathroom - more of a nice concrete privy. Thought we were going to need to hike on to Hawk, but when leaving we found rain filled tire tracks with tadpoles swimming around. That became our water source for the night. The trail provides but I would treat it as a dry camp. It did have a wonderful pavilion to eat meals at and was dead quiet at night.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

I don't remember ever seeing any piped water at Hickory Flatts Cemetery but I'm only recalling staying there once. Hasn't been that dry so I'd say the odds of finding surface H2O are better than average right now. North of Three Forks about 1/2 mile I've seen H2O near the trail seasonally.

Images

Fill up on water at Long Creek Falls. it is between 3 forks and the cemetery on the blue blaze trail right where the BMT splits off.
    ---Where ever you go
    There you are---

thanks all, just got back and can confirm there was no sink or running water. We stocked up at Three Forks and then it poured on us that night, so we had plenty in the morning. We were grateful for the covered pavilion that night. I'm not sure why more people don't stay here.

Quote Originally Posted by mclaught View Post
    thanks all, just got back and can confirm there was no sink or running water. We stocked up at Three Forks and then it poured on us that night, so we had plenty in the morning. We were grateful for the covered pavilion that night. I'm not sure why more people don't stay here.
    Maybe because it's a CEMETERY?

Quote Originally Posted by mclaught View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Maybe because it's a CEMETERY?

I've no morbid infatuation with cemeteries but I don't get bent out of shape sleeping in and visiting them for their history, sometimes manicured landscapes, and to connect with the area. It can be convenient to have a large overhead roof to sleep under as Mclaught said in a downpour. Seriously, cemeteries can be quieter places to sleep even when located on the semi outskirts of town. I like reading the quotes, names and birth and death dates on headstones, obelisks, and tombs meditating on the lives the deceased might have experienced and how their lives impacted others who intern impacted even more folks.

Journal Entries

Just camped there 4 weeks ago. No water at Hickory Flats; I got water along the numerous accesses along Long Creek, 1.5 miles south of Hickory Flats.

I spent my first night alone on the A/T at Hickory Flats. Hung my hammock under the pavilion (shed). What was funny looking back on it now was I had just finished binge watching the first 2 or 3 seasons of the Walking Dead. Knowing that they filmed in Ga only added to my imagination. But surprisingly, I really slept well and wasn't afraid, (much,lol). It's really a nice place to camp.
    I may never get to thru hike but I'll never get through hiking.

++ New Posts ++