WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Make your own trail bars.

https://www.backpacker.com/skills/br..._hsmi=71977052

Three nifty diverse tasting bars with one even for the omnivores with bacon.

Default Make your own trail bars.

I'm gonna have to try that mole bar. sounds perfect for a lazy man dinner
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Oh, man... The Barista sounds like the perfect breakfast bar. Breakfast and coffee in every bite.

Quote Originally Posted by devoidapop View Post
    I'm gonna have to try that mole bar. sounds perfect for a lazy man dinner

Yeah, how often do you see a bar with ancho chili powder?

Quote Originally Posted by Analog_Kidd View Post
    Oh, man... The Barista sounds like the perfect breakfast bar. Breakfast and coffee in every bite.
    +1 If I want coffee on trail that's how I've trended too. It's so much easier, faster, and wt saving to get your caffeine and coffee fix by eating it as an ingredient in something. Backpacker's recipe can use less honey if the chocolate is sweetened. Unsweetened shredded coconut also has sweet notes to it. This can lower the sugar content and raise the cal/oz ratio.

I often enjoy these backpacker mag recipes. Made the Barista bar this week. It was really good! FYI really grease the pan. I ended up having to chisel the edges out. They've also kept well.

Thanks for posting that up Dogwood.
    The calorie "punch" of those Molé Molé Bars is impressive!

If sticking to pan is a problem with homemade bars try using a silicon large ice cube tray. I press the bar mixture into them as a mold and put in freezer to firm up. Then pop out and cook as large cookies. You can bake the bar right in the silicon mold, but it won’t brown or caramelize correctly.

The unsweetened coconut flakes works well in bars, but they can be constipating if you use a lot.

Instead of bar size one can make energy bite size cubes. Dipping in a nut or seed butter extends the nutrition and cal/oz ratios. Don't forget hemp, sesame seed(tahini), sunflower, pumpkin, chia, flax, poppy, etc butters. Some brands like NuttZo combine nut and seed butters. Use the nut and seed butters with much more then bars. Add some impact by adding cinnamon, crystallized ginger, cayenne pepper, cacao, a milk powder(my fav is coconut milk powder), dipped on TJ's Baby or Dried mashed bananas, swirled into dinner noodles, quinoa, or rice, or over a bfast cereal. One can go Asian or Eastern adding turmeric and/or cumin to PB or other nut or seed butter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Instead of bar size one can make energy bite size cubes. Dipping in a nut or seed butter extends the nutrition and cal/oz ratios. Don't forget hemp, sesame seed(tahini), sunflower, pumpkin, chia, flax, poppy, etc butters. Some brands like NuttZo combine nut and seed butters. Use the nut and seed butters with much more then bars. Add some impact by adding cinnamon, crystallized ginger, cayenne pepper, cacao, a milk powder(my fav is coconut milk powder), dipped on TJ's Baby or Dried mashed bananas, swirled into dinner noodles, quinoa, or rice, or over a bfast cereal. One can go Asian or Eastern adding turmeric and/or cumin to PB or other nut or seed butter.
    26 oz jar of Nuttzo is $11.49 at Costco right now. Yum!

++ New Posts ++