WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default ATMs along the AT

Which bank is most likely to have the most in-network ATMs along the AT? BoA? Wells Fargo?

I’m planning to open an account specifically to get cash from ATMs along the way. I hate paying out of network fees. Pisses me off to pay >5% to get a hundred bucks out of a machine.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

most grocery stores and walmarts and places like that allow cash back from making a purchase....

thats alot easier to do than finding a bank that has the most amount of ATMs along the way.......

Images

oh, and the post office allows cash back....

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    Which bank is most likely to have the most in-network ATMs along the AT? BoA? Wells Fargo?

I’m planning to open an account specifically to get cash from ATMs along the way. I hate paying out of network fees. Pisses me off to pay >5% to get a hundred bucks out of a machine.
    I opened an account at my local branch of PCN bank specifically for obtaining cash during my thru hike. They offered a no-fee checking account as long as I maintained a $500 balance and no fee ATM. They are on the Plus and Star networks and I had no problem finding ATM's along the trail. Instead of ATM's I often used the cash back option at many of the larger supermarkets along the trail.
    More walking, less talking.

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    oh, and the post office allows cash back....
    Not sure if they still do it but my post office limited cash back to $50.

I think I've seen a bank offer no atm fees at any atm. The offer may have been affected by the member's balance. Keep X dollars in the account and no charges.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    I opened an account at my local branch of PCN bank specifically for obtaining cash during my thru hike. They offered a no-fee checking account as long as I maintained a $500 balance and no fee ATM. They are on the Plus and Star networks and I had no problem finding ATM's along the trail. Instead of ATM's I often used the cash back option at many of the larger supermarkets along the trail.
    LOL there you go Marta.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

USAA refunds any ATM fees up to a certain amount per month. I assumed other banks did as well, but not sure which/how common that is.

Did you mean PNC Bank?

most grocery stores and walmarts and places like that allow cash back from making a purchase....

thats alot easier to do than finding a bank that has the most amount of ATMs along the way.......
    I call that the redneck ATM. It's much more convenient than finding ATMs.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Hear ye hear ye

Over in 1.

Images

Thanks. I’ve done the cash back thing in stores. There’s often a fairly low limit of $50 bucks, so it would be nice to be able to get larger chunks of money from time to time.

We’re currently banking with a regional bank in Montana. They’re really a pain about flagging the debit card when traveling. I don’t feel like calling them every few days to tell them where I am. And they levy big charges on other banks’ ATMs.

I’ve banked with Wells Fargo in the past. I haven’t looked at their fee schedule recently but it used to be fairly rapacious.

PNC’s no ATM fee sounds good. Minimum balance requirement isn’t bad. I think we have a winner.

Images

There’s often a fairly low limit of $50 bucks, so it would be nice to be able to get larger chunks of money from time to time.

might be able to ask your bank to increase amount........

my bank will allow me to pull out $400 before it shuts me off....

or......make two separate purchases (or more) and keep pulling money out....

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    Did you mean PNC Bank?
    Yes. PNC bank.
    More walking, less talking.

FYI My bank and credit union allowed the option to limit my withdrawals to a limited amount within a specified time limit. This ensures that someone cant get a hold onto your card and clear the account out. Unless things have changed there were a fair share of sketchy private ATMS along the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    FYI My bank and credit union allowed the option to limit my withdrawals to a limited amount within a specified time limit. This ensures that someone cant get a hold onto your card and clear the account out. Unless things have changed there were a fair share of sketchy private ATMS along the trail.
    PNC acct holders as Soilman stated have the same personal option to limit withdrawals

In these cases the $50 (or whatever) limit is set by the store or ATM owner, so what you have set up with your bank wouldn't matter. Probably in many stores (particularly smaller ones) they just don't want to have to keep that much cash on hand and accessible at all times, so they set limits low to prevent running out of money.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
    In these cases the $50 (or whatever) limit is set by the store or ATM owner, so what you have set up with your bank wouldn't matter. Probably in many stores (particularly smaller ones) they just don't want to have to keep that much cash on hand and accessible at all times, so they set limits low to prevent running out of money.
    Exactly. You can't go into a small country store and expect them to give you a hundred dollars out of the cash drawer.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Journal Entries

I bring 200-300 cash and use only credit card.
    Nowadays, 90% of cash stays in pocket even on month long hikes
    Its getting rare to find places that dont take visa. you got a smart phone, you can do it.
    Shuttle drivers, hostels, etc

Most places have a Cash-Back limit when you are making a purchase. That is different then using an ATM machine. Our Walmart's and Tom Thumb allow up to $100 per transaction. But Kroger's limits to $50 each transaction. But then if you use the card at an ATM machine, you usually CAN set it up with the issuing bank to have a limit. $400 seems to be a common default.
    I have USAA. I needed 1 transaction at an ATM to get out like $700 in a day. I can change that from the $400 online. Or call USAA and they set it. Even set it to expire or "good for 24 hours". Banks set the default so if a robber got you, at some point the ATM's quit working (after they forced you to take out $400). Most banks also have more of a number of transactions that they refund the ATM charge. USAA allows something like 6 AMT withdraws a month with them refunding the fee.
    I think "cash back" just takes some planning and thought before you hit town. And you can hit the post office, get $50 back. Hit Walmart, get $100. Hit Walmart again for 4 candy bars as you leave town, get another $100 cash to carry forward into the next town with.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

++ New Posts ++