WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Supplemental savings for hike

I've been saving change for a few months now.
    I decided to count the quarters only.

$200.

I think it's been 4 maybe 6 months.

I hope you are putting aside some folding money, as well.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

That’s great! I’m a compulsive change collector also and love seeing those mason jars fill up. I will stop traffic to pick up a penny.

Journal Entries

When i was single about 25 yrs ago, and still mostly paying cash for everyday purchases, i had an old 28 qt igloo under desk in bedroom that i tossed change in everyday. Once every couple years id roll it, pick out old coins, and cash it in at bank. When that ice chest was maybe 30-40% full once, i figured i had 300 or so. Mostly pennies it looked. When it was counted i had $890 , $300 in just pennies.

The next time i took a change in a few yrs later, bank wouldnt take it. ***? i still have $55 in pennies in box in garage from that. I was able to spend rest. Then the machines at grocery stores appeared. I not giving them 10%. Now, i put what little change i get into coinholders in truck, and pay with it when go thru drivethrus. Freaks my kids out for some reason to actually spend change..they act like thats taboo. Like change isnt spendable, you must cash it in first for paper....

Told them my grandma lived thru the depression, didnt trust banks or paper. She saved dimes her whole life. Silver dimes until they quit making them . She bought a refigerator, washer, dryer in 1970s with dimes. When she died in 1980, there was money sewn into drapes and clothes. And $10,000 in silver dimes., face value.in boxes in closet
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-26-2019 at 22:02.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gracebowen View Post
    I've been saving change for a few months now.
    I decided to count the quarters only.

$200.

I think it's been 4 maybe 6 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    I hope you are putting aside some folding money, as well.
    Yeah, $200 in quarters is about 11 pounds. You could buy an ultralight pack to replace one that isn't and lighten your base weight by 12 pounds or more.

I don't have any paper money put aside yet. I should get pain and suffering from an accident prior to my hike.

If that fails to arrive on time I will use half of my tax return.

I also have a 10 percent disability rating and will have that money every month.

I won't pay a machine to count for me either.

In about a year from now I will probably make people at the self checkout mad at me by taking so long to pay.

Pretty sure you can buy an inexpensive device to sort coins and put them in rolls banks will accept. I believe I saw them at Office Depot. Lucky for me my small town bank still takes ziplock bags of change. There must be a way,gumball machine company has to do something with all those quarters...

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Trek View Post
    Pretty sure you can buy an inexpensive device to sort coins and put them in rolls banks will accept. I believe I saw them at Office Depot. Lucky for me my small town bank still takes ziplock bags of change. There must be a way,gumball machine company has to do something with all those quarters...
    Banks have automatic sorting and rolling machines. I worked as a bank runner in high school ( ferry checks and documents between branches) and did coin wrapping too . Had to unload armored cars, sacks of coins are heavy as hell.
    Dump trays of coins in machine that sorted and rolled them. Our machine was in vault, id sit on pile of $50,000 in pennies in sacks.
    But they quit doing that for you, sone charge you for in-person transactions now. They have 1 teller. Everything is electronic. Banks want tangible money eliminated.

I would roll my change, but count it first, and pick out all old coins. Time consuming . Its easier to use coin tubes, the cheap toy machines break and jam.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-27-2019 at 00:08.

MW, I love your story about your grandmother and the coins. I witnessed the same behavior with my grandparents. As a kid I kept every coin I found...on the street, every pay phone(what are those), arcade games, any coin return was my piggy bank.

I used to run pizza stores where we accumulated a lot of coin money. The bank we deposited into began limiting us on amounts of coin we brought in. Major international pizza chain into one of our largest banks. Very frustrating.

Now my bank, which is a major national one, doesn't accept coin exchange over $100 without a transaction fee.

All that to say, keep saving that govt minted money and build up those hiking reserves! Money, even in coin form is worth something to everyone.

Journal Entries

The credit union to which I belong will accept deposits from members via a coin counting machine. No fee is charged for that convenient service.

Journal Entries

delete duplicate post

Quote Originally Posted by gracebowen View Post
    I won't pay a machine to count for me either.

In about a year from now I will probably make people at the self checkout mad at me by taking so long to pay.
    The machines I use in the grocery store allow me to get an Amazon credit with no fees. So if you shop at Amazon its a better deal. The receipt has a code that you enter into your account online.....

Quote Originally Posted by Siestita View Post
    The credit union to which I belong will accept deposits from members via a coin counting machine. No fee is charged for that convenient service.
    We have a smaller bank chain here that does the same, so there may be others out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Siestita View Post
    I use a 5 gallon water bottle container my biggest exchange of of coin it was almost half full $800 + . I have a pocket on my lunch box I empty my change into then empty once a week into bottle probably quarter way up now. I too belong to the credit union.

I'm bad about spending my change, so I empty my pockets in a jar in the kitchen. When it would get full, I dumped it in a bucket in the basement. A few winters ago, I sat and watched a few of the college bowl games. I cut some aluminum tubing on my lathe just the right length for quarters, dimes, and nickels. Then it was just a matter of sorting, filling a tube, and dropping them into coin rolls. If I remember right, my time and a pair of nearly full 5 gallon buckets netted me about $4000 in rolled change.

My bank counts coins for free for account holders. It's amazing how much pocket change adds up to! I use cash much less than I used to & my new source of fun money is "eBay money." Whatever junk I unload on eBay collects in my PayPal account & is mine to spend however I see fit. This year it bought me a new backpack, pad & some organic freeze dried food.

I haven't cashed them in yet. I have a large safe with mostly photos and important documents, and it felt good to finally put some MONEY in it again. Years ago, my nephew borrowed some money to buy a used truck. He paid me back with an envelope full of hundreds. It was kind of nice to not have to use an ATM for a couple years, but it's long gone now.

Banks will take rolled change from account holders as deposits. They may make you write your account number on each roll in case of shortages.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bighammer View Post
    I'm bad about spending my change, so I empty my pockets in a jar in the kitchen. When it would get full, I dumped it in a bucket in the basement. A few winters ago, I sat and watched a few of the college bowl games. I cut some aluminum tubing on my lathe just the right length for quarters, dimes, and nickels. Then it was just a matter of sorting, filling a tube, and dropping them into coin rolls. If I remember right, my time and a pair of nearly full 5 gallon buckets netted me about $4000 in rolled change.
    They sell plastic tube with funnel top at walmart for doing this for couple dollars They have overflow slot that determines correct fill by height. When coins are worn, it can end up off by 1 if depend on it. So if care....you gotta count.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++