WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Hey all, newish to Wisconsin, looking for Ice Age recommendations

Hey whiteblazers!

I moved to Wisconsin about a year ago, and have just started hiking on the IAT. My wife and I have been out a bunch of times recently and I starting to love the IAT, but we're still figuring it out. Does anyone have any favorite segments of the trail? Preferably around 40 miles for a three day/2 night hike, more preferably not more than 1.5 hours from Madison.

We have the guide, but it is always great to get recommendations from people who know and love a trail!
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Check out the thousand miler wannabe Facebook group. Super active, and will be much more focused on the trail. I've mostly hiked the northwest, so I'm not as familiar with the trail by Madison.

I have heard good things about the area around devil's lake and had a nice hike by grandfather falls and Tom's Hill near Wausau. You'll have a hard time getting long contiguous sections by Madison though, kind of the nature of the IAT.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Images

Thanks, Wisscy! I'll check out that facebook page
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )

Kettle moraine state park northern unit and southern unit make for a great three day hike. Both are around 30 mile sections and very well maintained trails. Only downside is camping is only allowed the backpackers shelters which require reservation.

Kettle moraine state park northern unit and southern unit make for a great three day hike. Both are around 30 mile sections and very well maintained trails. Only downside is camping is only allowed the backpackers shelters which require reservation. Yup-I agree, great section-welcome to the Upper Midwest!!!!!!
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

If you go out west, the Chippewa Moraine section is nice as well as the section from Hwy 64 to the Mondeaux Esker. Wait for things to dry out, though.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Images

Thanks all! We tried the Harrison Hills segment this past weekend, wait for things to dry out is RIGHT! Wowzer!!! 40 inch deep standing water 0_o . (did nothing to make the mosquitos better) . Can't wait to get back out there, though- it's a beautiful segment!

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    Thanks all! We tried the Harrison Hills segment this past weekend, wait for things to dry out is RIGHT! Wowzer!!! 40 inch deep standing water 0_o . (did nothing to make the mosquitos better) . Can't wait to get back out there, though- it's a beautiful segment!
    Thanks for the report ShelterLeopard!!! The IAT is great in the fall, a lot less humidity and black flies.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Images

Bob Wirth, a White Blaze member, is currently thru-hiking the IAT and posting regular updates on his Facebook page. His comments include his favorite sections, comments on how well blazed, places to camp, scenery along the way, etc. He will be completing his thru-hike in about a week. A Facebook search for his name should be easy enough to find him.

++ New Posts ++