WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Clingmans dome extended parking?

Basically can I park there for about a week? If not where would be the nearest location I could.
    ./~Hi ho, hi ho, it's up the trail I go ./~

Images

Yeah.....

as far far as I know---one can park up there for a long time.....

of course, the rangers might run your plates and cross reference the permit to see how many days/nights you plan on being out......

I have parked up there for 3-4 days before. Just make sure your trip dont overlap with when they close the road down!
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    Yeah.....

as far far as I know---one can park up there for a long time.....

of course, the rangers might run your plates and cross reference the permit to see how many days/nights you plan on being out......
    Yeah, ...
    When you apply for a camping permit, you're required to submit your vehicle make, model, and tag number. That way, if the rangers notice a car has not moved in a relatively long period of time, they simply run your plates, find your permit, and know you're still in the woods and will leave your car alone.

If you have any other legitimate reason to leave a car parked in the park and you do NOT have a permit, simply contact the back country office and let them know what is going on.

Images

I have left a vehicle at Clingman's parking area for over a week with no issues.

Just be sure to register it with the park service so that they don't start a missing person report.

Also, be sure to roll windows up completely and lock the doors. Probably best not to leave anything that smells in the car as well.

Do not park near the tunnel at the end of the Road To Nowhere. I parked there in April and got three windows smashed out.

I knew better but Rednecks will be rednecks. The rangers could not have cared a less. Typical government employees.

Images

Do not park near the tunnel at the end of the Road To Nowhere. I parked there in April and got three windows smashed out.

yeah.....

thats a hit or miss place...

ive parked there maybe 8 times for overnighters and have never had problems, but have seen smashed windows and glass on ground.....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Yeah, ...
    When you apply for a camping permit, you're required to submit your vehicle make, model, and tag number. That way, if the rangers notice a car has not moved in a relatively long period of time, they simply run your plates, find your permit, and know you're still in the woods and will leave your car alone.

If you have any other legitimate reason to leave a car parked in the park and you do NOT have a permit, simply contact the back country office and let them know what is going on.
    what if one was doing, for instance, clingman's dome to hot springs. two nights in the park with a permit and then 2 nights outside the park.

on day 4 is someone going to tow your car or raise some other sort of red flag because your permit suggests you arent hiking any longer?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    what if one was doing, for instance, clingman's dome to hot springs. two nights in the park with a permit and then 2 nights outside the park.

on day 4 is someone going to tow your car or raise some other sort of red flag because your permit suggests you arent hiking any longer?

doubt it will be towed....

but, if you're really worried about, just call backcountry office and let them know...

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post

Perfect example of where you'd want to contact the back country office..

With as heavily patrolled as Clingman's Dome obviously is, there's a good chance rangers will notice your car has been parked for multiple days and will likely check on it. When they find your permit ended days ago, they might think something has happened to you or otherwise think the car is now abandoned.

But if you simply contact the back country office and let them know you're going to be parked beyond the length of time on your permit, they'll make note of it in there system and your car won't raise any flags.

Simple example: My wife and I had two cars in Gatlinburg. So one day, I parked one car at the visitor's center and had my wife drop me off at Laural Falls. The plan was for me to do a day hike back to the parked car and meet my wife at the hotel that night. During the hike, I got rained on and had to call for my wife to bring me some dry cloths. The next day, I had similar plans to day hike the Gatlinburg Trail after dinner at a restaurant on the edge of Gatlinburg. So rather than drive my car back to the hotel that night, I left it parked at the visitors center to wait for me the next night and went back to the hotel in my wife's car. But since I didn't have a hiking permit to let the rangers know my car was going to be parked in the park over night, I stopped by the back country office to inform them of my plans. They had no problems with my plan and simply jotted down my licence plate number so they would have a reference for the car parked overnight.
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 04-30-2019 at 17:32.

Images

Clingman's Dome is obviously heavily patrolled. So I suspect that the rangers frequently check out cars that they've noticed have been parked there for multiple days. If one of these checks sees that your permit expired days ago, they might think the car has been abandoned.

they wouldnt tow it after two days though...

it would have to sit longer than that for a tow...

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    they wouldnt tow it after two days though...

it would have to sit longer than that for a tow...
    I would tend to agree... But why bother wondering what their operational policy is when you can easily contact the back country office and just let them know what's going on.

Images

The park service has limited resources. I really doubt that a vehicle would get towed unless it is blocking access or blocking in another car.

From the standpoint of the rangers it makes it easier for them if they are aware of a car parked overnight or longer.

If there is a potentially abandoned vehicle it would cause extra work to have to trace the owner. Otherwise the rangers might have to initiate a SAR for a missing day hiker or possible suicide.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I would tend to agree... But why bother wondering what their operational policy is when you can easily contact the back country office and just let them know what's going on.

yup...........mentioned that in post #9....

I called them today because this post reminded me that I need to let them know that we will be leaving a vehicle there. A real person speaking English answered on the first ring, can't beat that.

Just got back today from Fontana to Newfound Gap. Although it's not Clingmans, I parked at Newfound Gap for 4 days with no issues. Like stated above, when you get your permit you have to put tag number and what kind of car you have when you register. Easy Peasy.
    - Trail name: Thumper

++ New Posts ++