Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1. #1
    Registered User andymc's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-24-2016
    Location
    Floyd, VA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    50

    Default Springer to Dicks Creek Gap US 76

    I may knock this section out in two weeks. It will be my first hike in GA. Anyone know how things are currently through this section? I don't mind people but hate a crowd. Any bear canister requirements here? Any places I must to check out? Hiawasee looks really cool. Thanks!

  2. #2

    Default

    Bear canister required for the 7ish miles south of Neel gap. If you do not camp in that section(search for exact stretch it is required) then the canister is not needed.

    Ill tell ya one of my favorite spots in GA was Helen, GA.

    If you avoid the shelters then you can enjoy some really nice tenting in GA. There is a spot (dry) about 3 miles north of Gooch Gap that was spectacular last month.
    AT Shuttle List
    Trail Miles: 3,715.9
    AT Trips: 67
    AT Map 1 Completion: 1818.9 Springer, GA - Franconia Notch, NH
    AT Map 2 Completion: 263.8 Gaps From GA - PA

  3. #3
    Registered User andymc's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-24-2016
    Location
    Floyd, VA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Bear canister required for the 7ish miles south of Neel gap. If you do not camp in that section(search for exact stretch it is required) then the canister is not needed.

    Ill tell ya one of my favorite spots in GA was Helen, GA.

    If you avoid the shelters then you can enjoy some really nice tenting in GA. There is a spot (dry) about 3 miles north of Gooch Gap that was spectacular last month.
    Thank you sir. Thatís what I wanted to hear!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4

    Default

    Just got back from Springer to Woody, we didn't stay at shelters and only saw a few people on the trail itself. Springer was crowded on Thursday, and the immediate area around Woody Gap was a circus on Saturday, but other than that, there were very few people out there once you got away from the parking lots.

  5. #5
    Registered User andymc's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-24-2016
    Location
    Floyd, VA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mclaught View Post
    Just got back from Springer to Woody, we didn't stay at shelters and only saw a few people on the trail itself. Springer was crowded on Thursday, and the immediate area around Woody Gap was a circus on Saturday, but other than that, there were very few people out there once you got away from the parking lots.

    Awesome, appreciate it!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6

    Default

    Perfect timing on this thread as I'm planning on doing this same section at the start of June.

    I am interested in advice on best place(s) to park a car near Dick's Creek Gap, and best ways to get back to the Southern Terminus.

  7. #7
    Registered User andymc's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-24-2016
    Location
    Floyd, VA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BAontheTrail View Post
    Perfect timing on this thread as I'm planning on doing this same section at the start of June.

    I am interested in advice on best place(s) to park a car near Dick's Creek Gap, and best ways to get back to the Southern Terminus.
    I think thereís a good size parking area at the trail crossing on US 76. I havenít heard of any problems with cars being left there. Iím allowing myself 6 days for the section so I share the same concern.
    Talk to Ron for a ride, heís been great to work with for me so far. https://m.facebook.com/Rons-Appalach...4270272614034/


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Registered User scope's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-08-2006
    Location
    Chamblee, GA
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,501
    Images
    34

    Default

    I don't like parking at Dicks Creek because I can't ever get a good spot. See link below - if it works, otherwise pull up Dicks Creek Gap in google maps and use the street view option. Looks bigger here than it is because its mostly a semi-circle drive, with a small section for 6-7 cars parked normal. As you can see, there are plenty of other cars parked along the side and way over in the grass, which is the norm on just about any day.

    https://www.google.com/maps/@34.9121...7i13312!8i6656

    I would call the Top of Ga hostel to see if you could park there. Have them shuttle you to far trailhead and hike back to car. Its a short walk there from Dicks Creek Gap.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

  9. #9
    Registered User scope's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-08-2006
    Location
    Chamblee, GA
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,501
    Images
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andymc View Post
    I may knock this section out in two weeks. It will be my first hike in GA. Anyone know how things are currently through this section? I don't mind people but hate a crowd. Any bear canister requirements here? Any places I must to check out? Hiawasee looks really cool. Thanks!
    There will be plenty of campsites, so don't try to plan so much as just enjoy the hiking. While the cannister restriction is limited from Jarrard Gap to Neels Gap, I would expect bear activity any where between Lance Creek and Wolf Laurel Top. Shouldn't be an issue if you stay at Big Cedar and hike to Cowrock, which I would suggest doing anyway for the views.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

  10. #10
    Registered User andymc's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-24-2016
    Location
    Floyd, VA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    There will be plenty of campsites, so don't try to plan so much as just enjoy the hiking. While the cannister restriction is limited from Jarrard Gap to Neels Gap, I would expect bear activity any where between Lance Creek and Wolf Laurel Top. Shouldn't be an issue if you stay at Big Cedar and hike to Cowrock, which I would suggest doing anyway for the views.
    Sounds good, thank you so much!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    05-15-2018
    Location
    Greensboro, North Carolina
    Posts
    7

    Default

    I stayed 1.8 miles south of Lance Creek last week at a cool tent site right beside a water source. Started at Hawk Mtn tentsite that morning. Planned to push to Lance but it was late and I figured it was super crowded (found out later there would have been nowhere for me to tent at Lance). If you stay anywhere around Lance you can push through the canister area pretty easy the next day.

    Spoke with a ridgerunner at Gooch Mountain shelter on my trip and he mentioned they hadn't had any bear activity so far this year other than at Springer Mountain.

  12. #12
    Registered User Nolan "Guido" Jordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-28-2019
    Location
    Lenoir City, Tennessee
    Age
    18
    Posts
    66

    Default

    I did the same exact section just a month ago. So you're going only 70 miles in two weeks? That's only 5 miles a day. (Not trying to be pushy, but you might have other plans).

    You probably already know, but just making sure you know that you need a bear canister if you're gonna stay between Jarrard Gap and Neels Gap (only a 5-mile section). Everywhere else, it's okay to hang your food. I know that at least Black Gap Shelter (Approach Trail) and Stover Creek Shelter have giant bear boxes you can keep your food in at night. I didn't visit any other shelters besides Low Gap which doesn't have a box.

    If you plan to send a bounce box, send it to Neels Gap. It's just a $1 fee to pick it up.

    The trail conditions were top notch. It's still the rainy season, so you may get wet once or twice

    If you have any more questions, I'd love to help out since I recently just did it.

    -Guido

  13. #13
    Registered User andymc's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-24-2016
    Location
    Floyd, VA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dankwizard22 View Post
    I stayed 1.8 miles south of Lance Creek last week at a cool tent site right beside a water source. Started at Hawk Mtn tentsite that morning. Planned to push to Lance but it was late and I figured it was super crowded (found out later there would have been nowhere for me to tent at Lance). If you stay anywhere around Lance you can push through the canister area pretty easy the next day.

    Spoke with a ridgerunner at Gooch Mountain shelter on my trip and he mentioned they hadn't had any bear activity so far this year other than at Springer Mountain.
    Good info! Appreciate it!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Registered User andymc's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-24-2016
    Location
    Floyd, VA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nolan "Guido" Jordan View Post
    I did the same exact section just a month ago. So you're going only 70 miles in two weeks? That's only 5 miles a day. (Not trying to be pushy, but you might have other plans).

    You probably already know, but just making sure you know that you need a bear canister if you're gonna stay between Jarrard Gap and Neels Gap (only a 5-mile section). Everywhere else, it's okay to hang your food. I know that at least Black Gap Shelter (Approach Trail) and Stover Creek Shelter have giant bear boxes you can keep your food in at night. I didn't visit any other shelters besides Low Gap which doesn't have a box.

    If you plan to send a bounce box, send it to Neels Gap. It's just a $1 fee to pick it up.

    The trail conditions were top notch. It's still the rainy season, so you may get wet once or twice

    If you have any more questions, I'd love to help out since I recently just did it.

    -Guido
    5 miles a day, HA!
    Thanks for the info Guido. Did you park on 76?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Registered User FatMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-28-2004
    Location
    Grassy Gap - AT
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,276

    Default

    Someone mentioned a June hike. The bear canister restriction ends June 1 and will not start up again until March 1 2020.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-22-2015
    Location
    Cumming, GA
    Age
    51
    Posts
    62

    Default Springer to Dicks Creek Gap US 76

    I park at Dick's Creek Gap often and have never had a problem but have also never left a car there for more than 2 days. It is a small lot and on weekends is often full. if you can park there on a weekday, you should be fine. You could also do this in reverse, leaving your car at Springer or Amicalola Falls which both have better, safer parking. I actually enjoy doing the Georgia section southbound but have done it both ways and it's pretty similar either direction.

  17. #17
    Registered User andymc's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-24-2016
    Location
    Floyd, VA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mockernut View Post
    I park at Dick's Creek Gap often and have never had a problem but have also never left a car there for more than 2 days. It is a small lot and on weekends is often full. if you can park there on a weekday, you should be fine. You could also do this in reverse, leaving your car at Springer or Amicalola Falls which both have better, safer parking. I actually enjoy doing the Georgia section southbound but have done it both ways and it's pretty similar either direction.
    10-4 thank you!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    Registered User Nolan "Guido" Jordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-28-2019
    Location
    Lenoir City, Tennessee
    Age
    18
    Posts
    66

    Default

    I got a shuttle down to Hiawassee, did not park.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FatMan View Post
    Someone mentioned a June hike. The bear canister restriction ends June 1 and will not start up again until March 1 2020.
    Awesome, and thanks for the info!

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andymc View Post
    I think thereís a good size parking area at the trail crossing on US 76. I havenít heard of any problems with cars being left there. Iím allowing myself 6 days for the section so I share the same concern.
    Talk to Ron for a ride, heís been great to work with for me so far. https://m.facebook.com/Rons-Appalach...4270272614034/


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Will definitely give Ron a call! Any experience with Ron vs. the folks at Top of GA Hostel? I'm a bit put off by things I've heard/read about top of GA.

    Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    I don't like parking at Dicks Creek because I can't ever get a good spot. See link below - if it works, otherwise pull up Dicks Creek Gap in google maps and use the street view option. Looks bigger here than it is because its mostly a semi-circle drive, with a small section for 6-7 cars parked normal. As you can see, there are plenty of other cars parked along the side and way over in the grass, which is the norm on just about any day.

    https://www.google.com/maps/@34.9121...7i13312!8i6656

    I would call the Top of Ga hostel to see if you could park there. Have them shuttle you to far trailhead and hike back to car. Its a short walk there from Dicks Creek Gap.
    Thanks, and the link worked. Boy, does that look like it'll get packed quickly!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •