WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default McAfee Knob Trail Head Parking

Would there be any issues with leaving a vehicle at the McAfee Knob trail head for a few days?

never left a car there. Super busy and unmonitored, but HYOH

Images

Left my car there for a week on 2 separate occasions. No issues. It's a big lot and there are usually several cars parked there overnight. Biggest issue may be finding a spot if you show up on a weekend in nice weather.
    It's all good in the woods.

You may leave your car at the Four Pines hostel in Catawba, but call Joe first.

Images

have parked there twice. once for a long weekend, once for 11 days. no issues, aside from a very dirty car the second time. dusty place with a lot of cars going in and out.

the real issue is going to be if you are starting your hike on a weekend afternoon and its a sunny 75 degree day you arent going to find an open parking spot.

As above, it's a fairly safe lot to leave a car for a few days. The real issue is what tdoczi mentioned - it is a MAD HOUSE on the weekends if the weather is remotely decent. The rush of cars can start before sunrise and end after sunset. You're fine on a weekday, but on a weekend I'd plan to arrive either very early or very late.

I parked at 4pines hostel for this area. hard to get a safer parking spot then at Joes place. Then I parked at BRP 90.9 further north. And then James river foot bridge and Rockfish gap after that.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Left my car there a few weeks ago for two days during the middle of the week. Plenty of other cars there and no problems.

++ New Posts ++