WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Chicken in 2.5 oz. pouches

Anyone aware of cooked chicken in 2.5 ounce pouches and NOT the STARKIST Chicken Creations?
    Tyson makes a 7.5 oz. pouch, but that is too much meat for one person backpacking.
    Thanks

I can't find one...
    is there a problem with the Starkist?

Just don't want the flavored pouches. Wanna make my own recipes

Sweet Sue has a 3 oz pouch, sold on Amazon in 8 packs:

https://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Sue-Chi...X397MBSE3QGG09

Thanks but with shipping it comes to $30 and an only want 3 or 4. Gonna send a note to BumbleBee and see if they carry singles

the sweet sue is good...

Registered User Nolan "Guido" Jordan's Avatar

You can probably find Sweet Sue at the supermarket. I got mine at Kroger (I do realize you live in MA, so you probably don't have a Kroger up there like there's some in Tennessee. You may be able to find it at Shaws or Hannaford?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouser999 View Post
    Anyone aware of cooked chicken in 2.5 ounce pouches and NOT the STARKIST Chicken Creations?
    Tyson makes a 7.5 oz. pouch, but that is too much meat for one person backpacking.
    Thanks
    About 10 yrs ago tyson sold small pouches
    There was a problem with pouches, and some bad product
    They dropped the small ones and never reintroduced them.

Quote Originally Posted by D2maine View Post
    the sweet sue is good...
    It sure is.

Have you tried the Walmart app online? If you find what you want and send it to the nearest Walmart store there’s no shipping. It takes awhile but free shipping is always good.
    Wayne

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I can get those Sweet Sue foil packets for about $2 at my local Publix

Quote Originally Posted by Mouser999 View Post
    Thanks
    There are no 2.5 oz just chicken in pouches I know. There are 2.6 and 3 oz pouches at some grocery stores like maybe Public that may carry the 3 oz Sweet Sue brand. The 2.6 Starkist Creations are flavored with abysmal cal/and cal/oz ratios usually about 70 cal for the 2.6 ozs. You could get the 7 or 6 ozs chicken pouches divided up between two consecutive meals. It works out similarly. I find it lasts for two days once the package is opened but closed tightly with a bound rubber band and placed into a Ziploc stored in a roller place inside a pack.

Personally, I find it abhorrent no one notes the abysmal 70 calories for 2.6 ozs @ a 27 cal/oz ratio in pouched chicken or 150 cal StarKist Chuck light tuna 2.6 ozs pouches in sunflower oil @ 58 cal/oz(lower cal and cal/oz ratio if in H2O) yet will baitch about powdered PB like PBFit or PB2 not having enough fat, cal, or high enough cal/oz ratios @ a 118 cal/oz ratio AND 14G of protein AND 30% of total calories from fat. PB2 and PBFit are by caloric content 30% fat. Yet, because SOME fat has been removed in powdered PB I've read it reasoned on WB many times it's a "bad" product because powdered PB does not have the full fat content of non powdered PB. WHY then are the same people NOT baitching about pouched tuna and chicken nutrition? WORSE, is some of that full fat PB obtains some of it's fat content from added hydrogenated oils. UMM, peanuts are not found in Mrs Nature's wisdom to have evolved to contain hydrogenated oil.

Thanks for all the assists. in Mass. we don't have Publix and will try Shaw's. I not thrilled with opening a Tyson 7 and wrapping it up tight for the next days use.
    Don't wish to worry about getting sick on the trail from a package that's already been opened. Maybe if I was gonna cook on a fry pan, but planning on it.
    Was hoping to make some wraps with the plain chicken. I have relatives in near Publix and gonna see if they can assist in the SweetSue packs. Thanks again

I always use Sweet Sue 3 oz. pouches. Tastes good and nothing extra. Worth the price on Amazon, they last a year if more than you need. Maybe can find them online at Walmart. Grocery stores up north don’t carry these.

Looks like I'm gonna go with getting the 8 pack from Amazon when I order some other stuff. As I day hike a lot, they will be lunch on the trail

Images

Just an observation regarding pouches vs. cans. I've weighed some of the larger pouches and they actually weigh about the same or even more than cans of similar quantity. Not sure about the smaller ones. But there's very little if any weight savings between pouches vs. cans. But pouches are usually quite a bit more expensive. There is less fluid in the pouches, but for something like tuna in olive oil, the oil is high in needed calories anyway, and the higher quality cans of solid white Albacore have mostly tuna and less oil than the less expensive chunk white and even cheaper chunk light. Being an OG, I always have a trusty GI can opener with me (not all cans have pull tabs). Environmentally, cans are easily recyclable but pouches aren't, but cans take more energy to produce and transport, so that's probably a wash.

I find it less of a mess with a pouch, cause I can seal the pouch when done and would need an extra zip locks to put the empty can in when done.
    I also find it easier to pack pouches than cans

But you're not going to reseal a pouch you said. A 3 oz pouch of Sweet Sue chicken maybe makes two wraps.

There's more broth in pouched chicken than pouched tuna. Also it seems to me more broth(water?) in the Sweet Sue brand pouched chicken than Tyson brand in the same size pouches. Valley Fresh brand is another you might find in mainstream grocery stores.

Bumble Bee also has 4 oz pouched chicken breast whole but it is spiced in Southwest, BBQ, Lemon and Herb, and Garlic and Herb. I cant see why the last two more milder flavored varieties wouldn't be ideal for including in two wraps.

https://www.amazon.com/Bumble-Bee-Ch.../dp/B001CAR1PE

Not gonna seal a 7oz pouch. I wanna bring my own spices, not what the manufacture drops in. nuff said

Here's another thread with info regarding pouches of chicken:

https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sho...ken?highlight=

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++