WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Red face Shuttle advice - Kent CT or Bear Mountain? Counting on your guidance!

Hi
    I'm driving from Toronto on May 15 to meet a friend in Fort Montgomery, where we will hike together until about Kent CT. I am struggling with what to do with my car. I have never done the AT - so I have no context for parking, distances to/from trail heads, etc. So I am counting on the kindness of you all

Do I drive to Kent on May 15, find a parking spot for 5 days, and have someone shuttle me to Bear Mountain? This way, when I'm done around Kent, my car will be right there. OR would it be a better idea to drive all the way to Bear Mountain, park by the Ranger Station there - do my walk for about 5 days (ending on May 20 around Kent), and arrange for a shuttle to take me back to my car at Bear Mountain? I don't mind extra driving - I just want something that's convenient and safe.

Also - I'm having a bit of a tough time connecting with a reliable shuttle/driver.
    Any and all guidance is incredibly welcomed!
    Thanks everyone!

Images

Shuttles - https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/at-shuttles.php

Parking - http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/at_menu.aspx

Hopefully some WB members from this area can provide further info on shuttles and parking as well

Journal Entries

Hike to your car, if possible.
    Always better to shuttle on front end. Timing and control is more predictable.

A shuttler in area can advise on best parking. Some have let people park at their homes, businesses, or can tell you what free areas .are safe

There are pros and cons to shuttle at beginning or end of trip. I personally enjoy parking at beginning, it allows me to call a trip short if need be without having to pay for a second shuttle. It also allows me to start my trip at my preferred time. Down fall IS that at the end of the trip I have to plan the pickup time with the shuttle driver but it has never been an issue at all. I would suggest parking at Bear mountain and hiking north to Kent, and then getting a ride back. There are also a lot of trail angels around Kent that you may be able to track down for a ride.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Journal Entries

I would suggest parking at Bear Mtn near the State Park Police (and letting them know about it), then shuttling to Kent and hike back to your car.

If you end at Bear Mountain, and make better time then you planned on, you can add a day at so at that end in the form of a loop through Bear Mountain/Harriman state parks. West Mountain Shelter would be a good destination.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

En-dot....go to your post in the women's section....I put your info there.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Here's what you can do: Leave your car at the Bearded Woods hostel near Salisbury, CT (100% safe), get a shuttle to Bear Mountain State Park, NY (not to be confused with Bear mountain, CT) and hike north back to your car. arrange a shuttle with Hudson or Lu back to the car.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! It has been more helpful than you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by stephanD View Post
    Here's what you can do: Leave your car at the Bearded Woods hostel near Salisbury, CT (100% safe), get a shuttle to Bear Mountain State Park, NY (not to be confused with Bear mountain, CT) and hike north back to your car. arrange a shuttle with Hudson or Lu back to the car.
    You can’t leave a car at bearded woods, nor can you drive there. Lu and Hudson take in hikers on a pick-up only basis. They can tell you a safe place to leave your car however and shuttle you to or from it.
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 05-10-2019 at 16:34.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Just to let everyone know, thanks to your suggestions I have figured out a solution. I will be driving to Kent and leaving my car in the town hall parking lot. I have spoken to Joanne at Town Hall and all I need to do is sign in and they're happy to keep my car there for 6 days. Then, Hudson will come and pick me up and drive me to Fort Montgomery, where I will start my hike.
    Thank you everyone for the help!

Yes, the Bearded Woods DOES allow to leave your vehicle at our place only with prior approval. If it makes sense/cost effective to leave a car elsewhere it will be always be suggested. Big Lu @ Bearded Woods B&D 860-480-2966, www.BeardedWoods.com...
    Last edited by Bearded Woods; 05-12-2019 at 09:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearded Woods View Post
    Yes, the Bearded Woods DOES allow to leave your vehicle at our place only with prior approval. If it makes sense/cost effective to leave a car elsewhere it will be always be suggested. Big Lu @ Bearded Woods B&D 860-480-2966, www.BeardedWoods.com...
    My bad L&H, obviously I was under a different impression.

++ New Posts ++