WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Western Mountaineering Everlite

This is not a review, as I have only recently bought the bag, and only slept under it at home. I had been eyeing the Everlite before catching it on sale, but there were not many pics or details online-and that's why I'm posting this. Hopefully the title will make it show up on Google search results for other people looking for details, and it can be of some help to them.
    Loaded these from photobucket, but didn't realize I was actually uploading them to this site rather than linking. I'll try to edit with image tags(or just add them again in a response), when I get time, so that you don't have to be logged in here to see them.
    Edit: pics will be repeated in the second reply to this post, assuming they work properly
    I may add comments about the bag at a later date.

I have the "Regular" 6' Everlite.

Dimensions are to spec. Width is 60" at the top, 39" at the bottom, exactly as stated. The bag obviously tapers so the hip measurement is relative to your height and leg length. I've no doubt the listed spec for that is dead on at the point they measure it, but the width at the center of the bag is 52".
    Length is 72" from the top to the draft collar at the bottom, which you will see in the pics, and about 72 3/4" total.

Weight for my sample of one is a hair over the claimed 14.5oz.
    420g/14.81oz for the bag
    24g/.85oz for the stuff sack
    444g/15.66oz total

The Everlite comes with a stuff sack, cotton storage bag, and a Western Mountaineering sticker:
    20190502_174331.jpg

Straight out of the packaging, wasn't full lofted:
    20190502_174043.jpg

With a 60" width, the Everlite makes for a very roomy quilt:
    20190502_175258.jpg

On a 72" sleeping pad with the bottom closed up:
    20190502_180243.jpg

Quilt mode. I'm ~5'7"-comes almost to the top of my head with my toes pointing down.
    20190502_182143.jpg

Blanket mode on a queen size bed(it's lofted up now!):
    20190503_084022.jpg

Here's that draft tube in action. Seals the foot end...to keep out drafts:
    20190502_174637.jpg

My only dislike. The attachments at foot and neck use velcro on an unreinforced extension of the bag material instead of a snap, which I think is pretty cheesy given the otherwise outstanding construction of the bag. I hate velcro:
    20190502_174443.jpg

But it does seem to hold just fine-note the drawstring is at the shoulder when used as a bag, centered when used as a quilt.
    I was very happy with these drawstrings. They're the flat "shoelace"(?) type, just like the one on my Katabatic Palisade, as opposed to the ones on my UGQ quilt, which don't hold worth a crap :
    20190502_175022.jpg

Scale pic for my fellow gram weenies:
    20190502_180840.jpg
    Last edited by OwenM; 05-08-2019 at 21:10.

Thanks. This is helpful as I just bought a WM Everlite and am awaiting delivery.

The Everlite comes with a stuff sack, cotton storage bag, and a Western Mountaineering sticker:

Straight out of the packaging, wasn't full lofted:

With a 60" width, the Everlite makes for a very roomy quilt:

On a 72" sleeping pad with the bottom closed up:

Quilt mode. I'm ~5'7"-comes almost to the top of my head with my toes pointing down.

Blanket mode on a queen size bed(it's lofted up now!):

Here's that draft tube in action. Seals the foot end...to keep out drafts:

My only dislike. The attachments at foot and neck use velcro on an unreinforced extension of the bag material instead of a snap, which I think is pretty cheesy given the otherwise outstanding construction of the bag. I hate velcro:

But it does seem to hold just fine-note the drawstring is at the shoulder when used as a bag, centered when used as a quilt.

Scale pic for my fellow gram weenies:

Last edited by OwenM; 05-08-2019 at 21:11.

I scored one of these for a great price on ebay this past winter, and actually used it a couple of weeks ago on a short trip. It really is quite good and versatile -- as a quilt, a light sleeping bag, or an "overbag", as I believe WM puts it.

WM rates it as 45*, and I feel that is perfectly accurate for me. I was sleeping in a short-sleeved shirt and silk weight long-johns, and was way too warm until the temps fell to about 48 or so. Had to add socks and a long-sleeve by morning, when it was 41*. I'm female and tend to sleep cold, so I was quite pleased with it.

My one and only regret is that the seller on ebay mistakenly listed it as 6', when in fact it is the long version. So it is longer and wider and 3oz heavier (17.5), but I'm learning to live with it.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Images

Very pleased with mine. I bought it to use in he huts. I've used it as an 'overbag' with my 'Lost Ranger' in early spring. And I anticipate using it with PJs over Memorial day. I am replacing the Lost Ranger with an Alpinlite, so together I may never use my Puma......except in the Huts in January!

Hit 45F or a bit lower a few nights ago, which was unexpected, and uncommonly cool for around here this time of year(back to 20F warmer already). So I had the opportunity to use the Everlite to its rated temp.
    I'm an exceptionally warm sleeper, so didn't anticipate, or have, issues wearing just boxer briefs and a synthetic t-shirt.
    Tried it both with the sides tucked and bottom closed as a quilt, and zipped up as a sleeping bag. Perfectly comfortable for the low temp that night either way, though it certainly served as a good reminder of why I prefer a quilt in general, as there's quite a difference between a 60" wide quilt and a zipped bag with a 60" girth.
    Earlier in the night, it was also comfortably cool when the temp was still ~60F with the foot left open a bit and only zipped up a few inches to use as a quilt. That's kind of a big deal to me, because I get hot easily, and wondered if I'd even be able to keep it on top of me(run so hot I never put on more than the tshirt even around camp in the morning when temps were still in the 40s).
    Should get to use it for a night or two next week with lows in the 60s, but don't guess I'll glean much from that.
    I really like it, though. The materials have a similarly luxurious feel to my Katabatic Palisade, and it's both less likely to be overly warm or to overlap as much in its potential use as something like the Katabatic Chisos or Flex 40, which I would have been tempted to use for fall trips out West.

Quick update to this thread:
    I went out in April (2021) for a quick overnighter and used my WM Everlite. The overnight low was about 40 F, and I was cold, cold enough that I really couldn't sleep. I was just wearing a pair of silk long johns (top and bottom), a light fleece cap, and a pair of socks. These were real silk (not silk weight) long johns. I could feel cold directly on my legs which I believe was coming through the sewn-through baffles. I was sleeping in a fairly large double wall tent (Tarptent Stratospire I), and I was in a breezy area.

I had not previously been cold in this bag although this is the coldest weather I've tried the bag in. In the past, I had used the bag inside a MLD super light bivy. I think the bivy trapped air over the the sewn-through baffles and prevented cold spots.

Based on my experience, I probably would not try to go below the stated rating of the Everlite (45 F), and if I were to take the Everlite down to the limit, I'd either wear thicker long johns or use a bivy. An airy tent with silk long johns on a breezy 40F night was unpleasantly cold. This was an interesting experience inasmuch as I usually sleep a bit warmer than others and have never had a problem with Western Mountaineering products.

HJ
    Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving

Definitely have to know yourself, as with any sleep system item.
    The Everlite would easily get me to freezing.
    I sold it for being too warm for me in the South, and bought one of the very things I said I was avoiding, a Katabatic Flex 40(which I've since used to 22F, and am indeed taking on fall trips out West).
    The "45F" Everlite is much warmer than my old 50F UGQ quilt, which I've gone back to using in warm weather.

Whatever works for you-what works for someone else doesn't mean much.
    That Everlite didn't fit my particular needs, but it was really nice!

++ New Posts ++