WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

well yes. I agree with all of this. No one is disputing the usefulness of the huts but you're missing one point and that is the fact that the price to stay at the huts is too high.

If AMC cut the price by half they would still be making a good profit. The 'unfortunate' fact that the huts are in such close proximity to Boston encourages AMC to set the price to match the income power of Boston clientèle. And they still sell out! However, for the other mortals, the blue collar workers or the people who have normal jobs in Maine or New Hampshire the price for a family of 4 (mom,pop, 2 kids) to do a hut to hut Presi Traverse (3 nights) is cost prohibitive. Around $1500 if You are an AMC Member and more if You are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrum View Post
    For thru hikers the huts offer a place to refill water, get a hot drink, have a snack, use a toilet and to get out of the rain or sun - all for free (or maybe a couple of bucks for a cup of tea or a cookie). A few thrus pay to stay overnight, and others do WFS.

The hut croos play a valuable role for all who hike in the whites by maintaining the composting toilets and by participating in search and rescue for lost and injured hikers.

I think Peakbagger accurately describes the hut experience and I agree that folks who were expecting the Mt. Washington hotel will have a disappointing experience. Likewise, those who are used to staying in tents and shelters my well find the hut experience not worth the money.

There are, however, groups for whom the huts are valued. The idea of staying overnight in the wilderness is intimidating to many people. The ability to have a safe, dry, and somewhat warm place to sleep at night allows them to venture beyond day hikes and experience the mountain in a different way. Likewise, parents wanting to take their children on a hiking adventure and introduce them to the outdoors appreciate the "comforts" of the huts. There are also people with physical limitation who are able to experience multi-day hikes because they don't have to carry a shelter and a much supplies. Many of these categories of hikers will go on to less expensive and more adventuresome forms of hiking. For others, the occasional splurge on a hut stay will be the pinnacle of their wilderness experience. From their stays in the huts almost all of these people will have their appreciation for the outdoors grow, will likely become better stewards of nature, and some will become strong advocates for preservation -- even if they never spend a night in a tent or shelter.

If you don't like the hut experience, or feel it is too expensive, that is certainly understandable, but please know that there are many people who do appreciate it and for whom the huts have played a significant role in encouraging and helping them become more confident spending time in the outdoors. So we enjoy the croos silly skits, relish the communal meals, have fun climbing into our bunk beds, and enjoy moaning about all the snoring that took place during the night while we drink our coffee and eat our breakfast in the morning.

Happy hiking.
    Let me go

I went from Madison to Galehead in 1990 and it was great fun, very enjoyable and worth every penny IMHO. I would do it again.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

we did two presi traverses when the kids were around 6 years old it was awesome. I did the first traverse with my first son. My wife did the second traverse with our second son a few years later. It was a great fun and a memorable experience for our kids.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    I went from Madison to Galehead in 1990 and it was great fun, very enjoyable and worth every penny IMHO. I would do it again.
    Let me go

Journal Entries

I'm glad I did it years ago, when the cost was just high, not astronomical as it is now. It's amazing what they get for 2 meals and a bunk spot, but yes location, location, location. It's something worth doing if one has the means. Also I have to add that the AMC staff are great resources if there is a emergency up there, I've seen the 'croo several times jump at the chance to assist NH F&G when called upon.

I would not stay at a hut as a thru-hiker since I am striving to be more thrifty and innovative in my accommodations, but I would consider doing a "tourist" attraction hike one day, sans my dog. The set up in the Whites reminds me of Tour du Mont Blanc trek, where you cross three countries - France, Italy and Switzerland. I completed the TMB twice. I don't know if the huts in the Whites would rival any of the meals I had in Europe, but I think they use fresh ingredients. I always say, 'don't knock it till you try it.' Ideally, I think the hut system would be fantastic as part of a winter hike. The cost starts at $32 but you do have to bring your own provisions like food. I think only three are open in December-January.

Images

My favorite hut in the French/Spanish Pyrenees.....$28.00 US a night http://refugebrechederoland.ffcam.fr/info-refuge1.html
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    well yes. I agree with all of this. No one is disputing the usefulness of the huts but you're missing one point and that is the fact that the price to stay at the huts is too high.

If AMC cut the price by half they would still be making a good profit. The 'unfortunate' fact that the huts are in such close proximity to Boston encourages AMC to set the price to match the income power of Boston clientèle. And they still sell out! However, for the other mortals, the blue collar workers or the people who have normal jobs in Maine or New Hampshire the price for a family of 4 (mom,pop, 2 kids) to do a hut to hut Presi Traverse (3 nights) is cost prohibitive. Around $1500 if You are an AMC Member and more if You are not.
    I hear you TSK, no disagreement from me about the high cot of the huts. The price have really gone up over the lat 5 year. The same criticism can, however, be made for just about every accommodation in the Whites during the summer. At least the AMC uses the money from the huts to subsidize other components of its mission.

There are alternatives for the more budget conscious.
    * Stay at the huts that are open outside of full service season and cook your own food.
    * The RMC cabins are a very cost effective alternative https://www.randolphmountainclub.org/.
    * AMC's Cold River Camp offers a cabin, 3 meals, led hikes, lots of family activities, in Carter Notch (Maine/NH state line), for more reasonable rates, including a deal during weeks 1 and 2 - Kids 12 and under stay free, https://amccoldrivercamp.org/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++