WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default getting from Baltimore Airport to Pen Mar Park

I'm having trouble getting info about bus or train travel to Pen Mar Park from Baltimore Airport. I've called a number of shuttle providers and either have gotten no return call or told they did not go there
    If anyone knows the area---could you help with suggestions?
    I don't have arrival date yet but am hoping to fly in on June 8th to finish northern half of trail
    Thank you
    Marmot

I would suggest forgetting about starting at Pen Mar. Instead start at Harpers Ferry, even if you've done it before. You can fly to DC and take Amtrak to Harpers Ferry. Sure it adds 40 miles and 3 days to the trip, but that's insignificant if your doing the whole northern half. But it makes the logistics a whole lot easier.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmot Moore View Post
    I'm having trouble getting info about bus or train travel to Pen Mar Park from Baltimore Airport. I've called a number of shuttle providers and either have gotten no return call or told they did not go there
    If anyone knows the area---could you help with suggestions?
    I don't have arrival date yet but am hoping to fly in on June 8th to finish northern half of trail
    Thank you
    Marmot
    Slo-go'en has a good idea about flying into Washington DC and taking AMTRAK to Harpers Ferry, WV. From there, you will be in MD in a few miles. WV AT mileage is 4 miles. In that way, you won't expense for a shuttle from Baltimore to Pen Mar Park. By the way, are you finishing up your AT thru-hike by doing the Northern half? If so, did you register online with the ATC? You can check in at the ATC headquarters in Harpers Ferry and get your picture taken, get a number and a tag. Happy trails! ATStrong

If you fly into Harrisburg then "mikes shuttles" will take you to Pen Mar. I did this vary thing 2 weeks ago. Shuttle was cheap. and mike is at the top of my shuttle list A++
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Is the guy you are talking about the one in Boiling Springs? If not do you have a number for him?
    Marmot

Quote Originally Posted by Marmot Moore View Post
    Is the guy you are talking about the one in Boiling Springs? If not do you have a number for him?
    Marmot
    Yes Mike lives in Boiling Springs. One of my favorite shuttle drivers on the whole trail
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Don't totally count out Baltimore (BWI) as a fly in location if that proves to be a cheaper deal for a flight - they have local trains (MARC) that go into Washington, DC from there regularly and can hook you up to the Amtrak options from that point, and even some Amtrak service if I remember correctly directly from BWI (but still might involve changing trains in DC).

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
    Don't totally count out Baltimore (BWI) as a fly in location if that proves to be a cheaper deal for a flight - they have local trains (MARC) that go into Washington, DC from there regularly and can hook you up to the Amtrak options from that point, and even some Amtrak service if I remember correctly directly from BWI (but still might involve changing trains in DC).
    Another option with flying into BWI: Take the MARC train from BWI to D.C. (MARC is the local commuter train so it's a lot less expensive than Amtrak.) In D.C. transfer to the Brunswick line of MARC. There's evening service from D.C. to Harpers Ferry (weekdays only).

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb One more suggestion

You can take Amtrak from BWI to Philadelphia, then transfer to a train to Harrisburg.
    There are several options for this trip each day, with a total travel time of between three and four hours.

If BWI is significantly cheaper than Dulles, Reagan National, Philadelphia, or Harrisburg; then the cost of this Amtrak may be worth it.

You may want to look up what airport van shuttle services (non AT related) are available from BWI. I'm sure you can get to either Frederick or Hagerstown (I am thinking of one in particular that family has happily used, but I don't feel like advertising here), and it'd then be easier to find transportation to the trail from either. I suppose it's even possible some will even take you directly to Pen Mar, but you'd have to check.
    --
    EJS
    (Ed. S)

Suggestions for using MARC to access Harpers Ferry from BWI are right on target. The Penn Line runs frequently to Washington Union Station. The Brunswick line runs to Harpers Ferry on weekday afternoons. On weekends, you can still use the Penn Line to get to Washington but Brunswick doesn’t run. However, Amtrak has one daily run to Harpers Ferry. If accessing HF, I would use either DCA or BWI. From DCA, Union Station is easily accessible via Metro rail. I miss living in the DC area. It was so easy to get to the AT.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Suggestions for using MARC to access Harpers Ferry from BWI are right on target. The Penn Line runs frequently to Washington Union Station. The Brunswick line runs to Harpers Ferry on weekday afternoons. On weekends, you can still use the Penn Line to get to Washington but Brunswick doesn’t run. However, Amtrak has one daily run to Harpers Ferry. If accessing HF, I would use either DCA or BWI. From DCA, Union Station is easily accessible via Metro rail. I miss living in the DC area. It was so easy to get to the AT.
    Thanks Coffee for the info. I remember taking the MARC from BWI to DC because Southwest at one time only flew into BWI, but I think they now fly into Dulles and Reagan.

I live in Duncannon PA and do shuttles. 717-834-4706 landline

Once you get to Harper's Ferry, if you want to start at PenMar, Rhonda Adams is a good option for a shuttle to PenMar: 304.596.1911
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

++ New Posts ++