WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Setting Out on section - Hudson River to DWG

Hi All,

I'm leaving tomorrow for Delaware Water Gap, and after shuttling up to Bear Mountain Inn starting my section on Saturday SB through Southern NY and NJ.

Looking forward to hiking Bear Mountain, the Lemon Squeezer, the Pochuck Boardwalk, Sunrise Mountain, and all of the great things that the trail has to offer.

Can't get enough of the AT!
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

Don't miss a night at West Mountain Shelter. Bring water.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Don't miss a night at West Mountain Shelter. Bring water.
    Definitely this. One of the best shelters on the AT. Well worth the side trail to get there (and it's an easy side trail, flat along the ridge for the most part).
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

I enjoyed a night camped near West Mountain Shelter too as you get views of NYC.

If I recall the High Point monument is a short but uphill way off the AT but could be worth it to you. Not sure if it will be open for climbing when you will be passing thru though.

Enjoy your hike and report back how it goes!

High Point Monument
    The monument was built through the generosity of the Kusers, in honor of all war veterans. Construction was started in 1928 and completed in 1930. At the top of the 220-foot structure, observers have a breathtaking view of the ridges of the Pocono Mountains toward the west, the Catskill Mountains to the north and the Wallkill River Valley in the southeast.

Monument: You can access the location of the monument during regular park hours (weather permitting in the winter due to road conditions). If you would like to enter the monument with the option to climb to the top it is open on weekends and holidays from Memorial Day weekend until June 24 from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. (staff permitting). Open every day from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. from June 24 through Labor Day (staff permitting). Open weekends and holidays after Labor Day until Columbus Day (staff and weather permitting) from 9:15 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Great choice going sobo!
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Definitely this. One of the best shelters on the AT. Well worth the side trail to get there (and it's an easy side trail, flat along the ridge for the most part).
    if you really want to have fun and see a view 10x better than anything on the AT in the area keep going past the shelter, down into the col and up to the top of the next hill. i'd estimate its about 1.5 miles each way.

You will have fun climbing up the Agony Grind....

Images

Staying in Delaware Water Gap tonight. Shuttling tomorrow to Bear Mountain to start my hike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Formerly uhfox

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Ice cream place in Warwick NY

Quote Originally Posted by kolokolo View Post
    Hi All,

I'm leaving tomorrow for Delaware Water Gap, and after shuttling up to Bear Mountain Inn starting my section on Saturday SB through Southern NY and NJ.

Looking forward to hiking Bear Mountain, the Lemon Squeezer, the Pochuck Boardwalk, Sunrise Mountain, and all of the great things that the trail has to offer.

Can't get enough of the AT!
    Stop by the ice cream place in Warwick NY, just outside the NJ border and close to the trail. Well worth a visit (if you like ice cream).
    Just love being outside, not sure why. 765 AT miles done (2014-2018), many more to go.

I just realized that you might have been George Lightcap's wake up call before he met me in Warwick! If so, I hope you enjoyed your hike as much as I did mine, and got your "bead"!
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by NJdreamer View Post
    Stop by the ice cream place in Warwick NY, just outside the NJ border and close to the trail. Well worth a visit (if you like ice cream).
    The ice cream is great and there's a nice view there.

The AT just south of there is fantastic. There's a short and fun rock scrambling area (identified as puddingstone rock in the guides) right at the NY/NJ state line. Nice views from there, stunted pine trees, and a great place to relax and take it all in.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    I just realized that you might have been George Lightcap's wake up call before he met me in Warwick! If so, I hope you enjoyed your hike as much as I did mine, and got your "bead"!
    Thanks for reminding me---George is the best! I wear his beaded necklaces when I hike, for the good vibes and my memories of him. He's shuttled me around several times....

Journal Entries

I'm too late for the OP. We just finished from Fahnestock State Park SOBO to Bellvale from May 16-20 - another state finished.
    Approximate mpd was 4-12-12-10-12.

Somehow I injured my lower back. It made Agony Grind pretty rough, even though we slacked the last day.
    The climb up Bear Mountain was long, but we really appreciated the work that went into the construction of all those steps!
    Saw plenty of stealth camping evidence.
    Did not go to West Mountain shelter.
    Saw the NYC skyline from top of Bear Mountain with a clear view, and from a ridge just north of William Brien Shelter through a thick haze.
    Learned that George Washington had to inoculate troops for smallpox. Saw plaque and foundation wall of old building.
    Saw 4-5 deer, a dozen or so toads, about 5 black snakes, a few frogs, 2-3 of the little orange newts, a handful of squirrels, and dozens of chipmunks. Best of all, we saw a family of geese (5 young-uns) as they clambered over a makeshift hiker bridge we'd just crossed.
    Didn't have time to visit the creamery.
    Back to work today.

Images

that ridge 'just north of Wm. Brien' is Black Mtn. Our crew "LDTC" build the climb on the south side last year, and the north side in 16/17!Pole cat.jpeg

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    that ridge 'just north of Wm. Brien' is Black Mtn. Our crew "LDTC" build the climb on the south side last year, and the north side in 16/17!Pole cat.jpeg
    Well THANK YOU, COACH LOU!
    I read some of the trail building signage at Bear Mtn. I remember that many of those stones are 800-1200 pounds! I am astounded and grateful for your work!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Yes I was George's wakeup call that day. I really enjoyed shuttling with him up to Bear Mountain Inn. George has so much knowledge and experience. It was a great way to start my hike, which turned out to be one of the best ever for me. NJ is now complete, and I got a good start on NY!

Formerly uhfox

Hey kolokolo - enjoyed hiking with you to DWG this past week! Mr Clean

Images

Mr. Clean - I had a great hike, too. Great to meet you.

Formerly uhfox

++ New Posts ++