WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Bald Mtn Range -
    Rich Mtn Firetower above Hot Springs
    Side trails to Jones Meadows and Blackstack Cliffs
    Be sure to follow the exposed trail
    Not sure how the trail goes now between Big Butt and Flint Gap. But visit the Shelton Laurel graves.
    Nice overlook before getting to Spivey Gap.

Roan area -
    If the Rodos on Roan are blooming, you may want to do a quick trip through the Gardens.
    Grassy Ridge is awesome. The side trail to Grassy Ridge is rocky but fairly easy. There is a marker at the summit. A faint trail and bushwhack lead to a set up cliffs.
    Definitely stay at Overmountain Barn. The valley view is worth it.

NB of US19E-
    Mountain Harbour is a awesome stay.
    Take the side trail to Jones Falls.
    Coon Den Falls Trail (old AT route) is a steep descent next to a small set of falls out to Dennis Cove Road next to Black Bear Resort. Its ok. Nothing big.
    There is a narrow cliff line right before the Laurel Falls steps to what is called Potato Top. The top has a large view of the Laurel Fork Gorge.
    Definitely hit up Laurel Fork Falls.
    After Watauga Lake there nothing of interest till Damascus.
    Last edited by Tennessee Viking; 05-21-2019 at 10:26.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    got it, thanks.

hoping to do hot springs to damascus in 11-12 days. a couple of the posts here almost had me worried.
    You'll be fine, I did it in 11 days going fairly slow (I'm old) and I took in all the side views, towers, etc.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    You'll be fine, I did it in 11 days going fairly slow (I'm old) and I took in all the side views, towers, etc.
    thanks. i wasn't really doubting it but when 2 or 3 people all echo the same thing about it being harder than they thought it does give pause.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    thanks. i wasn't really doubting it but when 2 or 3 people all echo the same thing about it being harder than they thought it does give pause.
    I thought the second day out of HS was harder than the first, just me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    Just did that section a week ago. Your climb out of Hot Springs will be a doozy if you're loaded down with enough food to last you until Erwin. Kept the first day short at about 8 miles. There is a good tent site about 0.25mi down from the fire tower - which is a great stop btw, with awesome views and recently renovated. There is also a good spring just before the tent site. There are plenty of shelters and accompanying tent sites, and decent enough water along this whole stretch. Big Bald was my favorite part of that section. I had it all to myself just before dusk, it was glorious. If you're looking for a bed for a night, Nature's Inn Hostel - run by Taft and his wife, was a great stop and they can come get you from Devil's Fork/Sam's/Spivey Gaps. The house with private rooms has a massage chair you won't want to get out of. Definitely stop in at Uncle Johnny's when you get to Erwin, place has a ton of character. If you need shuttle information, lmk.

There is a grave marker right next to the trail North of Big Butt Bypass of a former thru hiker who had his ashes spread on that spot. It was really touching seeing the impact the trail must have had on this man's life.
    Thank you I will be looking for the tent area's you mention above. Did you see a homeless guy? I heard today there is a homeless guy and a hurt dog in the area and that the homeless guy walks around in a robe.

Watch for rattlesnakes.Seems like that area has the most I have ever seen on a trail

Images

so indeed hot springs to about tanyard gap had me doubting myself, but past that it was as expected, made it in 12 days, last day ending before 10 am, with one other day only being 9 miles.

the trail really changes at 19E, dramatically. people always mention damascus as one of the big points where the trail changes but i think 19E is the spot. a couple miles past 10E and you're essentially in VA as far as how the trail feels and what the hiking is like.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++