WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Considering a Nero/ questions...

Base is 11.8 now
    With the pack change and a few gear tweaks, i could be right at 10 lbs
    Some say base should be lower to consider a frameless pack
    I am a section hiker, have made it to woods hole, va.
    A concern is, since i can only get out there 1-2 times per year, i do big sections (80-100 miles). So
    i need food for 5-6 days sometimes.
    I know re-supply is frequent on the AT, but i would rather be hiking with the minimal time
    i am out there.
    Any advise,experience with the nero, or hiking with/changing to frameless would be appreciated....
    -sloan

Journal Entries

I wouldnt go frameless at those wts personally

Additional 5-6 oz frame/padded belt carries addtional 10 lbs much better in my pack. Well worth it

Nero has never been popular for a frameless pack. Its too wide/big really. Check mld burn, or ks ultralight. Imo.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-17-2019 at 12:50.

Default Considering a Nero/ questions...

5-6 days food can vary greatly between hikers. Water carried is a big factor too. What is your starting food weight and the most water you'll carry in the first couple days of your section? Everybody has their own threshold for weight comfortably carried. in my frameless pack, I don't like more than 20-22lbs.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

I seem to run 1.2-1.4 lbs/day, and around a litre of water.

Leonidas

I went frameless at around 9.5-10 lb base and went back to a frame. In my case, there wasn't enough wiggle room if you needed to carry longer food/water carries. It was doable of course but I decided it was better to be comfortable which contributes to my forward progress considerably more than carrying a pound or two less. Headed to the AT for a 200 mile section here soon and with a ten day breakfast and dinner carry on top of lunch and snacks for the first 3 days; I am beyond what I would want to carry in a frameless. Granted I have 13 lbs of food + bear canister. Everything else is about 10 lbs.

Just my experience.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Thanks for the comments/suggestions
    Experiences as above re frameless backpacking are really what i wanted
    to hear
    i only have one hike with my ohm, really liked it.
    But, the fact that i was so close to
    10 lb base has made me consider a UL frameless pack.

Sounds as if leonidas and i are in a somewhat similar spot re needing to carry a little
    more food. What section are you hiking on this next trip?

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by cr115 View Post
    Sounds as if leonidas and i are in a somewhat similar spot re needing to carry a little
    more food. What section are you hiking on this next trip?
    We are doing Hot Springs to Damascus. The wife decided that she thinks she can be away from the kids a little longer this year so we have 15 days to complete the section instead of 8-10.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

That's a pretty small pack. The main bag itself is only listed as 25L. Something to keep in mind, since you're talking up to 6 days' food.
    No suspension, no ventilation, low durability and $200...ehhh.
    Between your base weight and potential food loads, this pack may not match up with what you want it to do.
    My stripped and lidless Exos 38 is about the size and weight of your Ohm minus all the removable stuff, and I've done a little daydreaming about the Nero, myself. It's big enough for my regular use, but I'm well past dropping weight being a practical concern, and am not about to give up a suspended mesh backpanel, so would never actually buy it.
    Its weight sure looks good plugged into the gear list, though!

Journal Entries

No I would not as you have 2 strikes against frameless, you are right at the limit at baseweight where it is commonly recommended to start considering it, and you are packing for 5-6 days.

If you were resupplying in the middle then yeah try it out, but your plan and hiking style is to go long, that does not go well with frameless, it's just not the right tool for this job.

Images

I tried frameless for a year or so, and went back to a light pack with a frame. It carries better, especially after resupply. Plus, I just can't keep my base weight below 10 pounds and be happy on a long hike. Closer to 14 when I hike with my spouse. Even heavier on weekend hikes, with all the Scotch and etc.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I wrestled with the frameless decision myself, and went so far as to purchase a Katabatic Gear Knik frameless pack, which I returned.

Since then I bought a Granite Gear 38L version of the Crown 2, which has worked out nicely, although I've only used it for an overnighter so far. I was at 14 lbs. with 2L of water and about a pound and a half of food and the thing carried like I didn't even have a pack on. It was only about half-full, with plenty of room for groceries. I will be using it for section hiking when I retire in 19 months time.
    Long-distance aspirations with short-distance feet.... :jump

Garlic
    Images

I waited until I got below the 10 pound threshold to move to frameless. Going stoveless was what got me there, and may have had a factor in the decision as well. I'm pleased and have never looked back.

If you’re only out 1 or 2 times a year, it’s not worth spending money to have sore shoulders with the weight you’re carrying. Ideally you want to be closer to an 8lb base in order to feel the benefits of frameless, especially if you’re carrying 5-6 days of food.

Quote Originally Posted by cr115 View Post
    Base is 11.8 now
    With the pack change and a few gear tweaks, i could be right at 10 lbs
    Some say base should be lower to consider a frameless pack
    I am a section hiker, have made it to woods hole, va.
    A concern is, since i can only get out there 1-2 times per year, i do big sections (80-100 miles). So
    i need food for 5-6 days sometimes.
    I know re-supply is frequent on the AT, but i would rather be hiking with the minimal time
    i am out there.
    Any advise,experience with the nero, or hiking with/changing to frameless would be appreciated....
    -sloan
    I have an older custom Zero that is practically identical to the Nero. IMO it is good for warmer weather trips of 3-4 days with a base weight of 6.5-8lbs and total pack weight of about 18lbs. Even then, if it's really hot and humid I'll opt for my old-design Arc Blast for the back ventilation.

I have a Nero and a custom Zimmerbuilt ZB2 which is essentially an MLD Burn. Limited use with the Nero and verdict is still out. If I had it to do over I would go for a DCF ZB2 or Burn.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I tried frameless at a 12 pound base weight. Once you add food & water and those things that you forgot to put on the list but somehow wind up in those outside pockets, it's pretty easy to wind up at 20 pounds or more on the trail, which I did.

So I was going to write a letter to the manufacturer about how I liked their 18 ounce frameless pack, but if they would just add this and tweak that... and I realized that would just be the 2 pound soft framed pack that they offer that I already have that works perfectly for me.

And all that matters is what works perfectly for you.

++ New Posts ++