WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Day hikes around Seattle in early June?

I’m looking for day hikes around Seattle that I can do the first half of June I’ll have a rental car for a week and could do an overnight hike if it’s worth it.I don’t have crampons or an ice axe but don’t mind hiking on snow. I’m doing Wonderland later in the year via Portland so I can see Columbia River George if that helps pick different locations.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by evyck da fleet View Post
    I’m looking for day hikes around Seattle that I can do the first half of June I’ll have a rental car for a week and could do an overnight hike if it’s worth it.I don’t have crampons or an ice axe but don’t mind hiking on snow. I’m doing Wonderland later in the year via Portland so I can see Columbia River George if that helps pick different locations.
    If you're willing to go that far, Mt. Rainier is an obvious place. Not suggesting you climb it. There are trails in the park that circle all the way around the mountain and all should be low enough altitude to be warm.

Mount Si is perfect

Thanks that’s what I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Mount Si is perfect

Mt Si is probably the most popular hike in the Seattle area. Switchback trail climbs 4000 ft to good view. Recommend avoiding during nice weekend days and holidays unless you like huge crowds and hundreds of off-leash dogs on the trail.

Early June can be tricky because of the snow and mud in the Cascades.

The Sunrise and Mowich Lake entrances to Mt. Rainier National Park don't open until the end of June. That means that if you want to hike Mt. Rainier in June, you will be limited to the Longmier Entrance. The Rampart Ridge Trail is the first to melt out. You may be able to hike it in early June, but check the Mt. Rainier web site before you make the drive. Here is the link to the Mt. Rainier trail conditions:
    https://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvis...conditions.htm
    June is a good time to do coastal hikes. My favorite is the Ozette Loop Trail. I like to hike that as an overnight hike, camping on the beach of the Pacific Ocean. Photos of Ozette Loop Trial -- https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...cBVhfFk3VhsNJR

Another good hike for June is the Dungeness Lighthouse hike. It is a hike along the beach -- beautiful scenery. Here are some pictures from that hike: https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...SP0i-bt7E69r7V

In June, I often spend time on the trails at Point Defiance in Tacoma. There are some of the largest trees you will find in the Northwest. Photos of Point Defiance: https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...a86YgjXfjzfkQA

The mountains on the eastern side of the Olympic Range usually melt out before the Cascades. I sometimes hike Mt. Zion as an early season hike. The most recent time I did that hike, I was disappointed because trees have grown so much that they block the best views from Mt. Zion's summit.

Mt. Ellinor is another popular hike in the eastern Olympics. It has a "winter route" and a "summer route." Sometimes it can be tricky in the between season. In June, you could probably do the summer route with traction devices.
    Last edited by Shutterbug; 05-25-2019 at 11:13.
    Shutterbug

Thanks SB. I’ll be back in Sept for Ranier/Wonderland. The coastal hikes and any melted peaks are what I’m looking for in June. I may take the rental car on up to BC for a couple days too.

Thanks SB. I’ll be back in Sept for Ranier/Wonderland. The coastal hikes and any melted peaks are what I’m looking for in June. I may take the rental car on up to BC for a couple days too.
    Before you take the rental car into Canada, make sure you have the right insurance.

One other day trip you should consider is a drive along the Skagit River. This is the time of year that the Eagles gather in the Skagit Valley. I love to take pictures of the Eagles.

Another adventure is to drive around the 101 Loop on the Olympic Peninsula. There are several of the world's largest trees along the loop. Some can be seen from the road, but at least one requires a hike back into the forest. The world's largest Red Cedar is at the end of trail that goes into a forest of the largest trees I have ever seen. The last time I did that hike, I saw tracks that I think were wolf tracks. They were too large for coyote or dog tracks. There is a small sign at the trail head that says "Big Tree" but you will need to do a web search to find it. The trail is usually muddy, but I enjoyed it.

PS: I did a quick search and it seems that the big Cedar tree was blown down in 2016. Reports say that it is still impressive
    Last edited by Shutterbug; 05-27-2019 at 23:00.
    Shutterbug

++ New Posts ++