WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Yeah I wasn't really sure about that either. I've never done it before, but I'm extra freaked out this year for some reason. I won't, but I feel like I should just take a bath in it.

Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    I noticed within two weeks after getting bit. I ate a burger and started itching about 4-5 hour after. I had been doing some yard work earlier in the day and thought I might have rubbed up against an oleander I had in the yard. A week later I grilled up an awesome organic burger for dinner and woke up very early the next morning with my face/neck swelled up and covered in hives. I knew what was happening and drove to the ER. My family doc ordered a allergy panel and meat/pork were at the top of the bad list.
    About 20 years ago my Mom suddenly became allergic to beef and pork at age 70. The only meat she could eat was chicken (which she disliked all her life) and fish. My folks lived in a rural wooded area in Arkansas where ticks were prevalent and she spent a lot of time outdoors. The doctors couldn't explain why she became allergic but after about 5 years the allergies gradually disappeared. I wonder if she was a victim of Alpha G.A.L.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Images

The Vegans have weaponized Ticks.....wow!
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by KimShea View Post
    Yeah I wasn't really sure about that either. I've never done it before, but I'm extra freaked out this year for some reason. I won't, but I feel like I should just take a bath in it.
    I think you can be comfortable just following the Sawyer directions. I've been using it for a couple years now, and the ticks just fall right off - they don't like it at all. I've even picked a tick off a friend and put it on my pant leg - it rolled up on its back. It does suck wearing long pants, but I have friends and family with Lyme, which sucks a lot worse. I put it on shoes (if fabric), socks, pants and shirts, on the parts of the pack where it doesn't bead up and roll off, and on my hammock and tree straps.

I too have the Alpha GAL allergy. Was bitten by a lone star tick in 1999 and went on antibiotics right away for 10 days. Started getting seemingly random allergic reactions 6 monthsish later. Took me until 2010ish to figure out it was hamburgers and sweetbreads. Didn't figure it out fully until the Radio Lab episode. Thankfully 2 benadryls always get it calm down.

Fatty meat is the worst, usually steak is okay. I can sneak in Buffalo or Lamp without a reaction usually.

You have no idea how badly I would love a big juicy burger!

Hiking in 2005 I would get the reaction every town stop until I gave up hamburgers!

Journal Entries
    Images

Note - allergy to beef/pork is different from Alpha-Gal allergy (different IgE). There is a special blood test just for Alpha-Gal and it's often combined with the meat panel. Did you get your count levels for Beef, Pork, Mutton, and Alpha-Gal - there should be 4 numbers on the panel.
    Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    I noticed within two weeks after getting bit. I ate a burger and started itching about 4-5 hour after. I had been doing some yard work earlier in the day and thought I might have rubbed up against an oleander I had in the yard. A week later I grilled up an awesome organic burger for dinner and woke up very early the next morning with my face/neck swelled up and covered in hives. I knew what was happening and drove to the ER. My family doc ordered a allergy panel and meat/pork were at the top of the bad list.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptainkriz View Post
    Note - allergy to beef/pork is different from Alpha-Gal allergy (different IgE). There is a special blood test just for Alpha-Gal and it's often combined with the meat panel. Did you get your count levels for Beef, Pork, Mutton, and Alpha-Gal - there should be 4 numbers on the panel.
    The test I took included numbers for all meat products and some other common allergens.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    About 20 years ago my Mom suddenly became allergic to beef and pork at age 70. The only meat she could eat was chicken (which she disliked all her life) and fish. My folks lived in a rural wooded area in Arkansas where ticks were prevalent and she spent a lot of time outdoors. The doctors couldn't explain why she became allergic but after about 5 years the allergies gradually disappeared. I wonder if she was a victim of Alpha G.A.L.
    Most likely. Alpha GAL was first noted in the late 1980s but wasn't pursued for some reason. Probably because there weren't enough cases, at the time.

Love the white blaze comedians;you should go on tour.

I can see it now the white blazes tour 2020 live action!! But seriously wasn't that the case with lyme as well? I recall hearing something there use to be a vaccine for it but wasn't enough cases like you said and they just did away with it ,I guess hoping it would go away .

Images

Picked a many ticks off myself this last weekend at Citico. One of them was a lone star. Trail foliage is extra dense this year.

I just thought it appropriate to revisit this old thread seeing how we are in TICK season again, with the warm winters we're getting i don't know if we were ever out of tick season. I personally think this is one of the biggest concerns we deal with being out in the woods. I started this thread because alot folks aren't aware of the lone star tick. (Please excuse my spelling and some confusing first posts i obviously was having a rough day. Anybody that is going out and has not seen this thread please do yourself a huge favor and read every post and do your own research, ya know an "ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure).
    Last edited by JNI64; 07-23-2020 at 00:42.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++